PS4 overheating and serious lag

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

PS4 overheating and serious lag

Postby EnderTea » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:23 am

I bought this game on sale because ive seen some videos of it before and thought it would be a fun and cute game to play. I even questioned if buying it was a good idea since i might not like it but then i remembered that i like farming games. So i bought it. And here we are. Ive played the game for about 10 hours. The only time i get over 25 fps is when im looking away from everything. One part of my ranch gets me down to 10 fps. PSN has a riduculous refund policy so i cant refund it if ive downloaded it. What are my options? I like the game, the only problem is that it runs really badly. Even just being in the mossy jungle area the framerate drops significantly.
EnderTea
Plort

Re: PS4 overheating and serious lag

Postby Watros » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm

As a general rule you will want to look into rebuilding your database (the PS4 equivalent of defragmenting) if you haven't tried that recently, make sure to completely close other games and apps vs suspending them, and it doesn't hurt to make sure you have some free space on your hard drive to help. If you're getting particularly full you'll want to try to make some space.

I also assume you have checked your fan to make sure it's clean and you have plenty of space around it for air to circulate, but I want to mention it to be safe.

We do look into optimization on our end and do our best to make improvements where we can. That said, to be completely honest, I've not been able to reproduce this on our end, nor any I aware of any reports from PlayStation about this when they do compatibility testing. We will do our best to look into this though!

Thank you!
Watros
Rancher

Postby belgarion » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 am

I second this as well.
I haven't measured frame rate, but I note that the game does indeed get laggy even after 10 mins of playtime. The sound lags as well. As for overheating, the unit does get hot, but I would guess no hotter than playing Zero Dawn/Tomb Raider/Borderlands 2
I have a PS4 Pro that is only 6 months old, I have downloaded SR from the PS Store
SR is the only game I've encountered this issue, and I have two other games I've downloaded, plus several on disc, no issues with those.
Happy to pass on any details you need
Cheers!
belgarion
Plort

Postby curley » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:59 am

I too have run into similar issues playing the digital version on a PS4 Pro.

While I did notice some frame rate dips and some minor stutters while playing the early game, the real issues started for me after unlocking the lab.

Whenever I walk close to the lab, the PS4 fans start cranking up. If I stay inside the lab building for more than 30 seconds, I get a PlayStation warning message indicating that the game will need to shut down due to increased temperatures. This happens every time I go into the lab.

Once the warning message pops up, I am sometimes able to cancel it, then run out of the lab. The fan speeds will slow a bit. Other times I couldn’t exit the lab quick enough and the PlayStation hard crashed.

I first encountered this after an ~90 min. play session, but have replicated it within minutes of booting for the first time. The console is well-ventilated (not inside any cabinetry) and the ambient room temperature is 72 F.

Any suggestions of how I could remedy this would be greatly appreciated as I can’t utilize any of the science gadgets—can’t last long enough in the lab to craft them.
curley
Plort

Return to Technical Support