Next Expansion Idea: BOb's Great Hen Hen Heist!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Next Expansion Idea: BOb's Great Hen Hen Heist!

Postby Goosejuce98 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Forewarning: I have zero knowledge of coding, so I have no clue how plausible any of this is.

So far in slime rancher, each expansion has involved one of our trade partners employing Beatrix to assist in acquiring something relevant to their trades in the ranch exchange.

Odgen wants kookadoba fruit
Mochi wants Quicksilver plorts
Viktor wants glitch slimes

The only other trade partners are Thora West (who has no specific trade themes) and Bob who always wants chickens.

My idea for the next expansion is Bob contacts you about helping him get BiG YumMy... Chikknns!!!!

You can access his expansion through a teleporter in the grotto on your ranch and when you step through you are in a sort of poorly constructed hideout in a cave. There is wooden flooring here and there with some other poorly crafted architecture. You can see Bob's computer with a search page on chickens. His trench coat, hat, and scarf on a coat rack. There are splatters of pink slime everywhere.

Next to a whiteboard with a crudely drawn heist plan is a range exchange. When you access it, you are informed of a large farm/factory owned by the Miles family (probably) This facility can produce the biggest and most delicious hen hens in the Galaxy! You are tasked with sneaking in and stealing as many of these chickens as you can. When you take the teleporter into the facility, you spawn randomly in a small back room such as a broom closet or bathroom. You must then sneak around the area, solving puzzles using your vacpack & different items/slimes in the area and avoiding security to access the Roostro Repository, where your feathery prize is held. Once the vault opens, the alarm goes off and you have a limited amount of time to get your haul to various pink slimes around the map to get them out.

Once you finish and return to the hideout, you will receive feathers based on how many chickens you got. You give these to Bob as proof of success.

With each expansion, there are three tiers of rewards:

Ogden: Special Fertilizer, Deluxe Garden, Retreat Access
Mochi: Mochi's Extra Mile, Deluxe Coop, Manor Access
Viktor: Chicken Cloner, Advanced Drone, Lab Access

As well as little rewards you can continuously receive:

Ogden: Spicy Tofu
Mochi: 200 Munny
Viktor: Manifold Cubes

My idea for Bob's rewards are items that make free range ranching much more feasible.

Anti-Tarr Pin: An accessory that when worn by a largo slime, prevents it from eating any plorts ( unless it becomes very agitated). To craft the pod for this recipe, the player will need items from each of the other expansions (manifold cubes, saber plorts, etc.) and the rarer resources found in the far, far range.

The stable: A new plot the player can construct. It is similar to the corral, except slimes can come and go. It still possess the auto feeder and music box, but it also has a new upgrade. You can add a soft synth-hay bed, this upgrade makes it so slimes stay in the stables at night/day (depending on the players preferences) so there is some time where the player can maintain things with out the slimes' interference.

The third upgrade is access to Bob's hideout. This gives the player 5 new plots. In the new area there are open crates in a few spots where various hen hens can spawn from.

As for the continuous reward, you will receive colored slime blobs which you can shoot at any surface to give it a bit of color and also make it adhesive (like the nets in the docks and the cacti)

Well, I believe that is all I have to offer in terms of ideas for the next expansion. Hope y'all like it!

See you 'round the Far, Far Range!
Goosejuce98
Plort

Re: Next Expansion Idea: BOb's Great Hen Hen Heist!

Postby SlimeCone99 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:00 pm

really good idea! I liked how you went into detail in everything!

but

I think the little rewards should be something more useful like food (odgen's spicy tofu), money (mochi) and resources (viktor's magnifold cubes), all of these things are essential to play

I think the mission should be based only on stealth

what about the new slime?

Odgen has Saber Slimes
Mochi has Quicksilver Slimes
Viktor has Glitch Slimes

but your idea is really good anyway, welcome to the forums
I like Slime Rancher... just that what did you expect

Avatar done by anapntes (thanks for that :D)
SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby Goosejuce98 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks for your feedback! After some thought, I think I have come up with solutions to the things you brought up.

First, the progressive reward:
Possibly, it could still be the blobs of slime, but instead of being an adhesive your fire at a wall, maybe you could fire them at the ground and receive a speed boost when you walk over them (similar to the propulsion gel from Portal 2). Initially, I had thought that some kind of cosmetic reward would be good, but you're right. It wouldn't be entirely useful and there are already sooo many cosmetic options with chroma packs, echoes, ornaments, etc. This "speedy slime" could help with traversing wide gaps and make movement around the far, far range more expedient.

Second, the expansion's slime:
Whilst trying to imagine some new kind of slime I came up with a couple ideas:
Electro Slime: A neon blue slime with a pulsing yellow center that emits sparks and electrical bolts occasionally. When it is hungry, it will attempt to attack the player and drain the vacpack's energy (these might be a little to similar to quicksilver slimes, but maybe not...who knows!)

Spider Slime: A black slime with eight eyes and fangs. It can use webbing to pull things closer and swing around. When agitated, it fires webbing at any tech in the area, causing it to stop working until Beatrix vacuums it up.

Otherwise, I had the idea that instead of a specific slime for the expansion, the owner of the facility has a mind control helmet that he uses to make all kinds of slimes do his bidding and be guards for his chickens.

As for how you progress through the facility, I really enjoy the idea of getting to USE each slimes' abilities to progress. A tangle slime can reach a lever on the other side of a window, a boom slime can blast open a weak part of a wall, rock slimes can weigh down pressure plates, etc. Or if you want, you can turn a slime into a tarr and let it loose, creating a distraction for you.

So these are some of the new ideas I had after reading your reply. I am really enjoying work shopping this idea of mine, even though it will probably always remain an idea. Nonetheless, thanks again for your input and I hope you like these new ideas!
Goosejuce98
Plort

Postby SlimeCone99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 am

Goosejuce98 wrote:As for how you progress through the facility, I really enjoy the idea of getting to USE each slimes' abilities to progress. A tangle slime can reach a lever on the other side of a window, a boom slime can blast open a weak part of a wall, rock slimes can weigh down pressure plates, etc. Or if you want, you can turn a slime into a tarr and let it loose, creating a distraction for you.
Oh I didn't think about that, cool idea

SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby Mb15 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 am

Great idea!
Mb15
Plort

Postby Skirakzalus » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Really like the idea. Maybe a slight change of the setting could help with a few things. If it was a run down abandoned research facility it wouldn't get into potential conflict with Mochi. Let's say they experimented with a new slime, the spider slime mentioned before (all largos), but they usually just put out a single string of thick silk and hide in the corners waiting for someone to trip over it as they are guarding the delicious chickens.
So part of the heist could be getting through puzzles (maybe the slimes you need are trapped in nets) and maneuvering the silk strings, trying to get rid of the spider slimes if needed.
Once you get to a chicken vault (the further away from the entrance the more chickens) you grab them and the spider slimes attack, which means you make a run for it.
Skirakzalus
Plort

Postby SlimeCone99 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Skirakzalus wrote:Really like the idea. Maybe a slight change of the setting could help with a few things. If it was a run down abandoned research facility it wouldn't get into potential conflict with Mochi. Let's say they experimented with a new slime, the spider slime mentioned before (all largos), but they usually just put out a single string of thick silk and hide in the corners waiting for someone to trip over it as they are guarding the delicious chickens.
So part of the heist could be getting through puzzles (maybe the slimes you need are trapped in nets) and maneuvering the silk strings, trying to get rid of the spider slimes if needed.
Once you get to a chicken vault (the further away from the entrance the more chickens) you grab them and the spider slimes attack, which means you make a run for it.
This is a really good idea

SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby Goosejuce98 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 pm

I really like your idea! It's a great way of implementing the spider slimes into this.

In defense of my idea of it being a facility owned by Mochi's father, ai believe that could be a good way to further explore Mochi's backstory. I know a lot of people really like her, so this could be a chance to learn more about her. Such as audio logs hidden around the facility.

What I think could be a great idea is to do something similar to the Quicksilver tracks. Where there are 2 locations Beatrix can infiltrate. An active facility where the only challenge is the security of the facility. Then there is an older, abandoned facility that has been infested with Spider slimes where the security is still somewhat active. This presents a basic/advanced course concept. It could also allow for the player to try and find codes in one location for terminals in the other unlocking backstory, treasure pods, and maybe some other secrets!

Thanks again for the feedback on my idea and let me know how you all like this adjustment!
Goosejuce98
Plort

Return to General Discussion