Multiplayer Mode

Share your original Slimepedia entries

Multiplayer Mode

Postby Cynthetic » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 pm

So full multiplayer would be a stretch right? Too many bouncy slimes! Instead of story based multiplayer, how about a defense based multiplayer, on a smaller, more controlled map? 2-4 Players start the day at 6:00 and specific slimes spawn in a designated area near the players (i.e. pink/rock/tabby for the first day). The players will use their allotted money and slimes to build defensive turrets, walls, etc. Once night strikes, the Tarr slimes begin attacking the ranch! With this new map, new types of Tarr slimes will spawn as the days progress, some shoot tar at the players damaging/slowing them. Some are made to attack turrets and walls, heck some might even fly! The goal is to keep as many of your slimes alive as possible, and keep your ranch open for as long as possible. After an amount of days that the player decides (10 days/20 days etc.), the players win and they are returned to the menu to start once again. The map could also be played peacefully with some limitations on slime count, food, and other items being laid on the ground to increase performance. I personally love playing slime rancher and I've always wanted to play with my friends, it would make for an AWESOME 4-player split screen game.

Of course its just an idea, maybe something like it could be done in the future. :)
Cynthetic
Plort

Re: Multiplayer Mode

Postby MisfortuneRising » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 am

Cynthetic wrote:So full multiplayer would be a stretch right? Too many bouncy slimes! Instead of story based multiplayer, how about a defense based multiplayer, on a smaller, more controlled map? 2-4 Players start the day at 6:00 and specific slimes spawn in a designated area near the players (i.e. pink/rock/tabby for the first day). The players will use their allotted money and slimes to build defensive turrets, walls, etc. Once night strikes, the Tarr slimes begin attacking the ranch! With this new map, new types of Tarr slimes will spawn as the days progress, some shoot tar at the players damaging/slowing them. Some are made to attack turrets and walls, heck some might even fly! The goal is to keep as many of your slimes alive as possible, and keep your ranch open for as long as possible. After an amount of days that the player decides (10 days/20 days etc.), the players win and they are returned to the menu to start once again. The map could also be played peacefully with some limitations on slime count, food, and other items being laid on the ground to increase performance. I personally love playing slime rancher and I've always wanted to play with my friends, it would make for an AWESOME 4-player split screen game.

Of course its just an idea, maybe something like it could be done in the future. :)

I hate to burst your bubble, but the chances of any kind of multiplayer happening are slim to none. They stated in a Steam post a while back that to add multiplayer would cost to much time and money, and it would be extremely challenging. They’d pretty much have to rework the entire game to put in multiplayer. Besides, Slime Rancher is fine without multiplayer. I don’t want a chat system, I don’t want random people showing up to my ranch, and I certainly don’t wanna run the risk of someone trashing my hard work. Also, they’d have to give players the option to customize Beatrix. Whether that be costumes or palette swaps, because having a couple thousand people playing as the same exact colored character would be extremely confusing. Plus, the lag would be off the charts, and definitely worse than Smash Ultimate online. The point is, is that I don’t see multiplayer happening anytime soon. Sorry. It’s a good concept though, nonetheless. :)
MisfortuneRising
Rancher

Postby orempswenel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm

*emeraldplay reflexively types "no.'*
orempswenel
Rancher

Postby SlimeCone99 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:48 pm

orempswenel wrote:*emeraldplay reflexively types "no.'*
hehe
I like Slime Rancher... just that what did you expect

Avatar done by anapntes (thanks for that :D)
SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:01 am

Yes,
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby orempswenel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 am

oof got fooled again
orempswenel
Rancher

Postby SlimeCone99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 am

orempswenel wrote:oof got fooled again
hehe

SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby Noggy05 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm

I had a similar idea with an (endless) battle and it had lovely little stickmen.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby akkamaddi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Noggy05 wrote:I had a similar idea with an (endless) battle and it had lovely little stickmen.

You know....

As cheesy as it sounds, a simple multi-player tower defense game could be fun. It could be an endless stream situation. It could be a simulation of Viktor, or BoB trying to defend his... swarm? from tarrs.

Achieving certain milestones could unlock plort prizes, and eventually a few Slime Science decorations or perhaps even an "exotic" plort that could be used to make a new largo.

(I've said a couple times, I think there are some good ways the game could have collaborative or multiplayer-like mechanics that let you reach out to other ranchers, without true multiplayer.)
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Noggy05 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:28 pm

EmeraldPlay wrote:Yes,

Emerald, are you feeling OK?
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Noggy05 wrote:
EmeraldPlay wrote:Yes,

Emerald, are you feeling OK?

Sarcastic to contradict expectations.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Cynthetic wrote:So full multiplayer would be a stretch right? Too many bouncy slimes! Instead of story based multiplayer, how about a defense based multiplayer, on a smaller, more controlled map? 2-4 Players start the day at 6:00 and specific slimes spawn in a designated area near the players (i.e. pink/rock/tabby for the first day). The players will use their allotted money and slimes to build defensive turrets, walls, etc. Once night strikes, the Tarr slimes begin attacking the ranch! With this new map, new types of Tarr slimes will spawn as the days progress, some shoot tar at the players damaging/slowing them. Some are made to attack turrets and walls, heck some might even fly! The goal is to keep as many of your slimes alive as possible, and keep your ranch open for as long as possible. After an amount of days that the player decides (10 days/20 days etc.), the players win and they are returned to the menu to start once again. The map could also be played peacefully with some limitations on slime count, food, and other items being laid on the ground to increase performance. I personally love playing slime rancher and I've always wanted to play with my friends, it would make for an AWESOME 4-player split screen game.

One primary issue here is that it attempts to get around one point but ignores the core principle of the point and as such tries to limit the effect of the point.

The issue being syncing across systems isn't just due to how many slimes there are, but also how many things per slime there are to sync. Next is how it tries to limit the issue, which starts to drift away from the initial concept of "fixing" or "getting around the issue" and in the end nets 1 problem solved, the main story...
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Cynthetic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Purplecharmanderz wrote:One primary issue here is that it attempts to get around one point but ignores the core principle of the point and as such tries to limit the effect of the point.

The issue being syncing across systems isn't just due to how many slimes there are, but also how many things per slime there are to sync. Next is how it tries to limit the issue, which starts to drift away from the initial concept of "fixing" or "getting around the issue" and in the end nets 1 problem solved, the main story...

Maybe a special slime farming machine which would keep the slimes away from bouncing around so much, you could even rework the enemy movement to not be affected so much by physics. There are work arounds for this kind of thing, anything can be done with enough will and coding.
Cynthetic
Plort

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:24 am

Cynthetic wrote:
Purplecharmanderz wrote:One primary issue here is that it attempts to get around one point but ignores the core principle of the point and as such tries to limit the effect of the point.

Maybe a special slime farming machine which would keep the slimes away from bouncing around so much, you could even rework the enemy movement to not be affected so much by physics. There are work arounds for this kind of thing, anything can be done with enough will and coding.

"Enemy movement not to be affected by physics" this entire line pretty much says "make the enemy do nothing". Like echoes are still partially affected by physics and you want to say make the enemy not be? May I note echoes still cause issues in loading and would still need to be synced?

And regardless, while begins to simplify the issue a bit, it doesn't remove it. There are some limitations to how a system can run and the programs it can handle.
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby reaperpeeper » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 am

You know....

As cheesy as it sounds, a simple multi-player tower defense game could be fun. It could be an endless stream situation. It could be a simulation of Viktor, or BoB trying to defend his... swarm? from tarrs.

Achieving certain milestones could unlock plort prizes, and eventually a few Slime Science decorations or perhaps even an "exotic" plort that could be used to make a new largo.

(I've said a couple times, I think there are some good ways the game could have collaborative or multiplayer-like mechanics that let you reach out to other ranchers, without true multiplayer.)

i was thinking of something like that because we already have a misson from oregon ortiz, mochi miles, and coming up with victor, a defense kind of game for bob would be fun
reaperpeeper
Plort

Postby SlimeCone99 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:15 pm

I have to warn you about "Necro"

you necro when you post something in a old post, bringing it to the top of the page and it's annoying but you are new so it's ok, but:

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

SlimeCone99
Keeper

Return to Slime Design