The Slime Sea

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

The Slime Sea

Postby Phantom268 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:08 am

Doesn't anyone think we should have an update where we can explore the slime sea with some diving gear and stuff? the place will also have slimes like:

Coral Slime
Barnacle Slime??!?!
Sand Slime (They are basically moving sand...)
etc.

And the slime sea can also have more stuff on that ancient civilization that worshipped the slimes. And we can maybe even uncover who they were? And many more, what do you guys think?
I was born in Valentine's day for some reason...♥
(NOT a girl ʸ(ᴖ́◡⚈)♡)
(I guess Saint Valentine gave me that gift :D)

Saint Valentine (the guy who made Valentine's day) wrote:>:(
Phantom268
Rancher

Re: The Slime Sea

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 am

The Slime Sea is supposed to act as a barrier to the world. You shouldn't be able to explore it like that.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby akkamaddi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:40 pm

I do have to politely disagree with EmeraldPlay. I think an underwater environment would be really cool. I also have a personal theory about the slime sea being insta-death that I will share later, so I understand that it would be forbidden.

However, there are ways this could be handled and maintain containment.

One would be a new island with an actual lagoon. That would give an aquatic environment that is still contained. The island could be accessed by a teleporter, perhaps on Thora's ranch, or just an expansion.

A second that would functionally be a "teleporter" would be an underwater aquatic cave, or rift filled with old seawater and a swift-moving slime sea current above it cutting it off, accessible through a single-destination submarine (that would functionally, though not aesthetically) replace the teleporter. Something like this would be a completely contained environment, so you would still have a limited game map and not an open world.

Lastly, if you want to get into the slime sea proper...

Add a room under the lab, actually cut into the cliff. Have a bathysphere/slimosphere suit, connected to a high pressure air pump by a hose. Then have a ramp into the slime sea, or perhaps an airlock. You could actually wander into the slime sea, *but* you would be constrained by the length of the air hose. Perhaps some Slime Science upgrades could make it a bit longer, but you would be tethered to that cliffside on a short leash. Actually, like Phandom's Barnacle Slime, if you are on the cliff-side then abalone slime and pearl plorts would fit in really well. Because of the tether via the hoses, the expansion to the map could be very limited. with the bathysphere suit, the slime sea would still remain dangerous. Perhaps in addition to Slime Science giving you slightly longer hoses, the equipment could initially only maintain five minutes save positive pressure, extended to 7, 9, and 11 minutes with upgrades? It could require 24 in-game hours to recharge the pumps, and have an "emergency pull" swift return. (OK, visually being drug back to home base at high speed would be cool, admit it.) If the suit is breached, you "die" for a day and the suit needs five game days for repair.

I do understand that the Slime Sea is the devouring chaos at the edge of the world, but I think there are ways to nudge the border out a bit and still maintain narrative and mechanics.
Last edited by akkamaddi on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Phantom268 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02 pm

My hopes and dreams....crushed
(NOT a girl ʸ(ᴖ́◡⚈)♡)

Phantom268
Rancher

Postby Noggy05 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Phantom268 wrote:My hopes and dreams....crushed

Come on now, there's no reason to be so dramatic. To be perfectly honest with you, hardly any suggestions will ever make it into the game unless the devs think it fitting, and right now, making an underwater area isn't particularly fitting. Perhaps in the future, but not at the moment.

Literally none of my suggestions have even been hinted at in game if it makes you feel better, because the world's a big place, and not everyone can hear you. But eventually, creativity find's its place.

Who knows, you might even become a dev yourself. Anything's possible.

And I wouldn't say crushed. These forums aren't about crushing. They're about constructive criticism.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:13 am

akkamaddi wrote:I do have to politely disagree with EmeraldPlay. I think an underwater environment would be really cool. I also have a personal theory about the slime sea being insta-death that I will share later, so I understand that it would be forbidden.

One would be a new island with an actual lagoon. That would give an aquatic environment that is still contained. The island could be accessed by a teleporter, perhaps on Thora's ranch, or just an expansion.

A second that would functionally be a "teleporter" would be an underwater aquatic cave, or rift filled with old seawater and a swift-moving slime sea current above it cutting it off, accessible through a single-destination submarine (that would functionally, though not aesthetically) replace the teleporter. Something like this would be a completely contained environment, so you would still have a limited game map and not an open world.

Add a room under the lab, actually cut into the cliff. Have a bathysphere/slimosphere suit, connected to a high pressure air pump by a hose. Then have a ramp into the slime sea, or perhaps an airlock. You could actually wander into the slime sea, *but* you would be constrained by the length of the air hose. Perhaps some Slime Science upgrades could make it a bit longer, but you would be tethered to that cliffside on a short leash. Actually, like Phandom's Barnacle Slime, if you are on the cliff-side then abalone slime and pearl plorts would fit in really well. Because of the tether via the hoses, the expansion to the map could be very limited. with the bathysphere suit, the slime sea would still remain dangerous. Perhaps in addition to Slime Science giving you slightly longer hoses, the equipment could initially only maintain five minutes save positive pressure, extended to 7, 9, and 11 minutes with upgrades? It could require 24 in-game hours to recharge the pumps, and have an "emergency pull" swift return. (OK, visually being drug back to home base at high speed would be cool, admit it.) If the suit is breached, you "die" for a day and the suit needs five game days for repair.

I do understand that the Slime Sea is the devouring chaos at the edge of the world, but I think there are ways to nudge the border out a bit and still maintain narrative and mechanics.

Think you may be taking their post one way in your interpretation then agreeing to what their point is. Emerald and I having had disagreeing views on exact extents lead into 2 major points here for their overall reasoning for the claim, neither of which you actively disagree to but rather accept and build around.

The 2 major points are lore and mechanics to keep game progression contained, especially when the only way to check game progression currently is with gates. Your concepts for them emerald has never disagreed with in the past, given that they find their way to fit into the issues he is accounting for in his own point here.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Phantom268 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:34 am

Noggy05 wrote:Come on now, there's no reason to be so dramatic. To be perfectly honest with you, hardly any suggestions will ever make it into the game unless the devs think it fitting, and right now, making an underwater area isn't particularly fitting. Perhaps in the future, but not at the moment.

Yeahhhh, I can kinda understand

Noggy05 wrote:And I wouldn't say crushed. These forums aren't about crushing. They're about constructive criticism.

I don't literally know why I even wrote that xD

Noggy05 wrote:Literally none of my suggestions have even been hinted at in game if it makes you feel better, because the world's a big place, and not everyone can hear you. But eventually, creativity find's its place.

Who knows, you might even become a dev yourself. Anything's possible.

Thanks for that, you are very inspiring by the way.
(NOT a girl ʸ(ᴖ́◡⚈)♡)

Phantom268
Rancher

Postby Phantom268 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 am

akkamaddi wrote:I do have to politely disagree with EmeraldPlay. I think an underwater environment would be really cool. I also have a personal theory about the slime sea being insta-death that I will share later, so I understand that it would be forbidden.

REALLY, REALLY COOL IDEA
(NOT a girl ʸ(ᴖ́◡⚈)♡)

Phantom268
Rancher

Return to General Discussion