Slime Science Gadget Ideas/Upgrades

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slime Science Gadget Ideas/Upgrades

Postby Carly210 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 pm

I don’t know about anyone else, but I think some new slimes science gadgets and ranch upgrades are in need.

1. A Well Gadget
-I frequently find myself needing water so having a slime science gadget like a well of some sort would be really helpful so you don’t need to waste a plot for water. It would just take up a slot for the gadget placement.

2. The same items in multiple vac pack spaces.
- I’ve mentioned this one in a previous post of mine. I do you still find it would be very helpful in late game. I mean after all there is only so much time in 1 game day. To unlock this feature I’d want to have 3 different things you’d have to do to achieve this feature. For example, for the 1rst one to unlock a second spot would be to sell 500 of each different type of plort. 2nd to unlock the third spot would be unlock every treasures pod on the range. (areas marked as unknown not included) The 3rd would probably be to craft an attachment for the vac pack that required 25 of each rare resource 50 of each uncommon resource, and 100 of each common resource. I actually wouldn’t even mind if it started with the last one I mentioned and just built up from that just doubling until 3 attachments were made to accommodate 4 of the same items through out the vac pack.

3. Gilded Ginger Tracker.
- I’ve been playing this game since it came out and I have yet to find a gilded ginger. I’d love to see a tracker made so we can see it on the map, though having a limitation such as having to place it and letting it search a quadrant of the glass dessert would be cool.

4. Wall upgrades for sections of the ranch and ranch extensions.
- I frequently have to run for new slimes because mine escape and/or die. It would be nice to have a corral wall upgrade that stopped slimes from leaving an area of the ranch and walls to stop slimes from jumping off ledges into the slime sea. These could be a high tier 7Zs reward.

5. Wall upgrades for ponds and incinerators.
- I have so many puddle slimes and fire slime commit suicide from jumping outside their plots it would be nice to have a wall and air net to keep them in their plots.
Carly210
Plort

Re: Slime Science Gadget Ideas/Upgrades

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Only going to point out #3 starts to conflict with the main point of the ginger. They are meant to be rare, there is a reason they are believed to be a myth lore wise.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Burningskull » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 am

I think that if you are able to find one Gilded Ginger, you could then build / design a tracker for it. I personally would just like to be able to put a Gilded Ginger in the gardens and just have it take a really long time to grow. Maybe 1 every 5 days or something in a fully upgraded garden.

The walls for ponds and incinerators would be nice cause then you could put Plort collectors on the corners.

As for multiple things in vac slots. I thing it would be easier coding wise to just give you a vac tank upgrade to carry more than 100.
Burningskull
Chickadoo

Postby EmeraldPlay » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 am

1. You already have enough water around you, from springs and ponds.
2. No. Storage updates are already a thing.
3, 4 and 5. Could be good.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby BraveStarr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 am

1. I like the idea of a well. There's not enough water around you on the farm as some may claim. I spend a lot of wasted time running all the way to the Docks to get water to keep the Drones running. I am not gonna mess around with a perfectly good Range setup just to have a pond in every expansion to ensure I have water close by when a Well gadget can be a better alternative. It can require Puddle plorts and maybe some silica sand and jelly stone.

2. I get the idea behind this request but I agree with one of the above comments. It would be easier to simply allow more items beyond the current 100 limit. Or perhaps an upgrade to the Warp Dept that allows perhaps 2, maybe 3 items to be stored in it making them a bit more useful.

3. I like the idea of a Gilded Ginger Tracker but it should not only be a bit difficult to acquire but also not to easy to use. I understand the point of it being a myth but I have been playing for several weeks, been using the location map and am currently at 270 days in the game and I have found maybe it 8 times only because I check nearly every game day. The problem is there are at least 70 different places where it spawns across the entire Glass Desert some in very difficult to reach places that take time to reach and is only on the map for 19 game hours and it sometimes takes me that long to search every location only to find nothing. We don't need it to be able to find one every game day but at least every few days.

4. and 5. I like that idea. It is annoying to go to my Incinerators only to find 1 or 2 Fire slime left when I usually have 4 or 5 not to mention just putting them in is a pain. With a corral one simply shoots a slime in and it stays. In a pond the Puddle slime rarely bounces out but the Fire slime has to be shoot in from above straight down or in an angle that bounces against the edges or the toy to avoid it bouncing outside. Also that Fire toy doesn't seem to do much.

I have an idea or 2 of my own. Will share it on here soon.
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

BraveStarr wrote:1. I like the idea of a well. There's not enough water around you on the farm as some may claim. I spend a lot of wasted time running all the way to the Docks to get water to keep the Drones running.

Where are you spending all the water? And what tank booster do you have? Since at most you can have 14 drones, that is 14 units of water a day. 2 of the expansions have a natural water source, and each collected glob is 5-10 units of water. How in the world you are wasting time getting there is perplexing personally.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby akkamaddi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Something that creates a small spring on a machine spot could be useful at times, and could make a nice decoration. I would not discount the idea of a well.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Carly210 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 am

Purplecharmanderz wrote:
BraveStarr wrote:1. I like the idea of a well. There's not enough water around you on the farm as some may claim. I spend a lot of wasted time running all the way to the Docks to get water to keep the Drones running.

Where are you spending all the water? And what tank booster do you have? Since at most you can have 14 drones, that is 14 units of water a day. 2 of the expansions have a natural water source, and each collected glob is 5-10 units of water. How in the world you are wasting time getting there is perplexing personally.

Which expansion other than the docks has a natural water source? I’d love to know because having to run to the docks to get water is a HUGE inconvenience it takes too long to get there. The reason I suggested a well is for the reason of some of us like to utilize our in game time to it’s max extent. I know that with farming lots of largos, having water is EXTREMELY handy especially when farming more than 5 largos per corral that have dangerous attributes such as crystal slimes and mosaic slimes. Water helps calm them and stops the effects of these types of slimes and only having a max of 100 slots for water is very inconvenient and it’s easy to waste your entire gameplay only on the ranch and never getting to explore. As for drones, regardless of if you have Largo slimes or regular slimes, drones can only do 1 task at a time if you want them to do something else they need reprogrammed. Some of us don’t completely reconfigure our ranches to fit the drones functionality due to it taking too much time and depending on how many newbucks you earned too much money. For example I frequently run out of water because when I go searching for the gilded ginger I can be gone for an entire in game month searching and when that happens after I have given up looking for the gilded ginger I frequently just use the emergency return feature which leaves all your slots empty. Running to and from the docks is time consuming but I also can’t afford to waste one of my plots on a pond.
Carly210
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:23 am

You could just set up teleporters to the Docks.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Carly210 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:You could just set up teleporters to the Docks.

You are limited on teleporters though and with not being able to move them around it makes it wasteful to place a teleporter to the docks.
Carly210
Plort

Postby akkamaddi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:52 am

Carly210 wrote:You are limited on teleporters though and with not being able to move them around it makes it wasteful to place a teleporter to the docks.

Actually... If you watch YouTube videos where people explain things about the game, it's pretty common to set up a dock/lab teleport set to link the longest run on your ranch. While I haven't done it (yet), I only have three teleport pairs in use (ruins entrance, desert entrance, desert castle, all to ranch), so I have extra pairs to place.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 am

Carly210 wrote:
EmeraldPlay wrote:You could just set up teleporters to the Docks.

You are limited on teleporters though and with not being able to move them around it makes it wasteful to place a teleporter to the docks.

Going over a few posts rather than just what I have quoted here.

First off teleported, while yes we are limited, we get about 10 sets, with only a couple areas you really want to link up to shorten the average run. This can easily get some of your farthest ranch expansions connected easily.
Now into the second point, natural water sources on the ranch. The second is mochi's manor.
Third point, watering slimes. Only 2 slimes really need to be watered when agitated, Quantums and dervish. Each only getting a glob for like what 10-20 seconds of temporary ability negation and temporary agitation drop. In the end assuming your aim sucks and 20 of each of the following that adds a 50 to units to your 14, so 64 to a run. That is only like 7-13 globs of water needed to be sucked back up or 1 is you have teleporters in the glass desert near an activated fountain. (And 30 seconds of infinite water in that time.) The globs can take in total a matter of 2-3 seconds at the proper distance.

In the end my only point there is it seems a bit redundant to add it functionality wise, but honestly for decoration I can see it being useful, and hey having an actual function with it wouldn't hurt.
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby BraveStarr » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:57 am

Purplecharmanderz wrote:

I guess it depends on how you use your water. I use mine quite a bit. I use it against Tarrs, to push away feral largos, to water drones, to water my quantum/crystal largos when they get out of control, sometimes I accidentally waste it when I don't notice I am on the water and I shoot it. I am more perplexed why you are perplexed.

Also Mochi's Manor is not exactly at an easy point to access on the Ranch. Its in the cave, oposite end of the ranch and you still have to go in and go all the way to the natural pond to get it before you have to head back. In essence it is almost the same distance as the Dock depending where you are on the Ranch.

If we use your logic why do we need a Market and Refinery link? The Market is in the middle of the Ranch, easily accessible to every extension and the Refinary is not that far away from the main areas likely to have most of your slime for resources. But then there are gadgets that seem useless.

What's the point of Med Station? I have one and have little reason to use it. None of the slime, even feral largos, are dangerous enough to need to convert my energy into health and even then the health bar goes back up pretty fast. About the only time I found it useful was when I was moving Rad largos from one corral to another and I didn't want to waste time waiting for the radiation bar to go down.

And the Spring Pad, what's the point of that? I used it once to jump over a fence in a particular area just to get around faster and yet I could already do that with the jet pack. Even the Gordo Snares seem mostly useless. I would rather wait to get the Master Gordo Snare just to ensure I get the gordo I want. And don't get me started on the Decorations that take up valuable gadget spots, which are lacking in numbers in my opinion, that could be better used with teleporters and warp depots.

Some of these things are rather useless in most cases or completely yet they are there. This well gadget would actually be useful. Believe me, I take this game very seriously since I am a perfectionist and this game allows me to express this perfectionist mentality in the way I build my ranch and where I set everything up for maximum efficiency. I'm currently working on some Youtube videos just for this.
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 am

BraveStarr wrote:
Purplecharmanderz wrote:

I guess it depends on how you use your water. I use mine quite a bit. I use it against Tarrs, to push away feral largos, to water drones, to water my quantum/crystal largos when they get out of control, sometimes I accidentally waste it when I don't notice I am on the water and I shoot it. I am more perplexed why you are perplexed.

Also Mochi's Manor is not exactly at an easy point to access on the Ranch. Its in the cave, oposite end of the ranch and you still have to go in and go all the way to the natural pond to get it before you have to head back. In essence it is almost the same distance as the Dock depending where you are on the Ranch.

If we use your logic why do we need a Market and Refinery link? The Market is in the middle of the Ranch, easily accessible to every extension and the Refinary is not that far away from the main areas likely to have most of your slime for resources. But then there are gadgets that seem useless.

What's the point of Med Station? I have one and have little reason to use it. None of the slime, even feral largos, are dangerous enough to need to convert my energy into health and even then the health bar goes back up pretty fast. About the only time I found it useful was when I was moving Rad largos from one corral to another and I didn't want to waste time waiting for the radiation bar to go down.

And the Spring Pad, what's the point of that? I used it once to jump over a fence in a particular area just to get around faster and yet I could already do that with the jet pack. Even the Gordo Snares seem mostly useless. I would rather wait to get the Master Gordo Snare just to ensure I get the gordo I want. And don't get me started on the Decorations that take up valuable gadget spots, which are lacking in numbers in my opinion, that could be better used with teleporters and warp depots.

Some of these things are rather useless in most cases or completely yet they are there. This well gadget would actually be useful. Believe me, I take this game very seriously since I am a perfectionist and this game allows me to express this perfectionist mentality in the way I build my ranch and where I set everything up for maximum efficiency. I'm currently working on some Youtube videos just for this.

Only thing in going to say is that entire post seems to take it as I think it wouldn't be helpful, and entirely ignores the post I made before your post was made. In addition your calculations for water consumption ignore other water sources that would be nearby, and use water rather than energy for tasks that energy would be not only cheaper in doing, but far more effective.

The argument that the water source at mochi's isn't any more convient takes my over all argument way out of context by then ignoring the point you next argued on water usage. And your point on the market links does the same thing. My point is you can pick up water along your path, and can store more than enough water for the duties at the ranch, you can generate far more plorts than you can carry and as such can't carry enough for one load of your duties on the ranch, there fore the convience is fully beneficial. My main point with the well is it was overkill and mostly redundant functionally. Your primary examples in an attempt to refute this point don't share this trait besides the medstation, which mostly falls short due to health regen and slow damage out put. Or in cases of high damage output you die way to quickly to react (200 rad slimes for example)
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby CrookHookGames » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Carly210 wrote:1. A Well Gadget
-I frequently find myself needing water so having a slime science gadget like a well of some sort would be really helpful so you don’t need to waste a plot for water. It would just take up a slot for the gadget placement.

Although I rarely run out of water, I like the idea.
For every pioneer on every new frontier:
Be brave.
Be bold.
And stay wiggly
CrookHookGames
Rancher

Postby BraveStarr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Purplecharmanderz wrote:
BraveStarr wrote:
Purplecharmanderz wrote:

Only thing in going to say is that entire post seems to take it as I think it wouldn't be helpful, and entirely ignores the post I made before your post was made. In addition your calculations for water consumption ignore other water sources that would be nearby, and use water rather than energy for tasks that energy would be not only cheaper in doing, but far more effective.

The argument that the water source at mochi's isn't any more convient takes my over all argument way out of context by then ignoring the point you next argued on water usage. And your point on the market links does the same thing. My point is you can pick up water along your path, and can store more than enough water for the duties at the ranch, you can generate far more plorts than you can carry and as such can't carry enough for one load of your duties on the ranch, there fore the convience is fully beneficial. My main point with the well is it was overkill and mostly redundant functionally. Your primary examples in an attempt to refute this point don't share this trait besides the medstation, which mostly falls short due to health regen and slow damage out put. Or in cases of high damage output you die way to quickly to react (200 rad slimes for example)

I cut back on some of the quoting cause it was getting too long.

To be honest I am not entirely sure what the heck you were trying to say with your reply but I believe I got the gist of it. Still, regardless of how either of us sees water use in the game a well would still be a great addition even if it seems redundant to some. It doesn't really matter in the end. I use a market link on the main Ranch expansion (redundant in a way) simply because it's faster to shoot plorts into a market link next to my silo than it is to run to the main market place panel and the drones move slower thus take longer to get to the market panel.

Here's an even easier idea. Forget the well, just put a small fountain on the main ranch. It can work as both decoration and to get water. It doesn't take up a gadget slot, it wouldn't cost anything to get it and its convenient without having to feel redundant. After all, if we have the Docks to get water and we could easily just put a pond in any area of the Range that will easily provide water everywhere then why have water in Mochi's Manor as an alternative? Wouldn't that be redundant then?
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion