More damage! More challenge! (suggestion)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

More damage! More challenge! (suggestion)

Postby Freeasabird » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:11 am

sigh, you guys are probably not taking suggestions anymore but, It would be nice if slimes that damage you, Rock, Crystal, Boom, Rad, Tarr slimes etc. would do a little bit more damage to you. I shouldn't be able to tank several rock slimes head butts and Boom slime explosion and walk through a groups of rad slime radiation fields and be like nothing ever happened. you mide as well not even have the health bar or its upgrades. i mean damage is so negligible i just walk through everything. seriously i'm just strait up tanking things and i'm all like, whatever. :/ you know?, thats not fun, i should be thanking my lucky stars i made it through that without keeling over. receiving more damage would also make the health upgrades actually useful.

Instead of everything doing 10 damage, Rock slimes should do at least 15 damage, Crystal slimes should do 20 from walking into them and there razor sharp crystal shards they leave behind. Boom slimes should do 30 damage and Rad slimes essentially should poison you. The more rads you take in, the more your health drains away.

From 1 health a second all the way up to 20 health a second for max rads. becuase as it is now, radiation doesn't do anything. :/ like, at all. and if thats the case, why is it in the game? Tarr slimes should do the most damage for a single strike at a whopping 50 damage!. takes a chunk out of you if it bites you. would require you to be more careful around slimes.

and please add fall damage. falling from a really high height and on my end it seems like my chick should have her femurs breaking through her collar bones, yeah that should do some damage. from 10 damage, up to 300 damage depending on fall distance. it would make the jet pack all that more useful imo. learn to conserve fuel, and make the power upgrades more useful. you could even add a new suit upgrade that reduces fall damage by 50%.
Boom slimes, Rocks Slimes, No Pain No gain.
Freeasabird
Rancher

Re: More damage! More challenge! (suggestion)

Postby Jeb » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 am

I agree. The game needs a bit more overall damage from those kinds of sources. But once you learn things, not even Tarr or Feral slimes pose any real risk, much less our spiky and explody bois.

You also have to consider what upgrades you have. Even as a veteran player, if I don't pay attention to my health at the onset of a new game, it's relatively easy to die from these sources.

So are you looking at the challenge, or lack thereof, based around 350 health? I guess the question begs to be asked: do new players struggle with these damage sources?

If so, then I'd imagine the game is balanced. I could see a new hard mode, or would be even happier with more dedicated end-game content which poses greater risks.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:18 am

Freeasabird wrote:
From 1 health a second all the way up to 20 health a second for max rads. becuase as it is now, radiation doesn't do anything. :/ like, at all. and if thats the case, why is it in the game?

This exact set of lines seems to show you don't quite understand where the risk from rads come from. Multiple auras don't just increase how quickly rads build up but also how quickly damage is dealt. Ranching dad's generally leaves a few overlaps and can take out the not so careful rancher. (100 pures is instant death if you were wondering.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Freeasabird » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Jeb wrote:I agree. The game needs a bit more overall damage from those kinds of sources. But once you learn things, not even Tarr or Feral slimes pose any real risk, much less our spiky and explody bois.

You also have to consider what upgrades you have. Even as a veteran player, if I don't pay attention to my health at the onset of a new game, it's relatively easy to die from these sources.

So are you looking at the challenge, or lack thereof, based around 350 health? I guess the question begs to be asked: do new players struggle with these damage sources?

If so, then I'd imagine the game is balanced. I could see a new hard mode, or would be even happier with more dedicated end-game content which poses greater risks.

350 health? ha ha ha no :) you are a god at that point ..erm..i guess :/ but yeah i was talking round near the beginning when you have but a measly 100 health. like, the damage is so a non issue i just walk into and over rock slimes and rock largo's and just keep on walk'in. one two three hits and..i'm still not in any kind of danger, Boomers are about the same my chick can tank EXPLOSIONS like a champ, when i really should be actively trying to avoid said explosions. like, the biggest threat in the game is accidentally falling into the water, when that really should be the Tarr slime that should hold that title.
Freeasabird
Rancher

Postby Freeasabird » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Purplecharmanderz wrote:
Freeasabird wrote:
From 1 health a second all the way up to 20 health a second for max rads. becuase as it is now, radiation doesn't do anything. :/ like, at all. and if thats the case, why is it in the game?

This exact set of lines seems to show you don't quite understand where the risk from rads come from. Multiple auras don't just increase how quickly rads build up but also how quickly damage is dealt. Ranching dad's generally leaves a few overlaps and can take out the not so careful rancher. (100 pures is instant death if you were wondering.

Hm, well tbh i never gained 100 rads before, because..well, its Radiation, thats not good to have a lot of that swimm'in in ya. i mean if you gained around 50 or more radiation, you should seriously be suffering from radiation sickness at that point, the screen should be green around the edges and a bit wobbly. but thats just me. (would be cool if there was mod support :/) but when you have lets say 30/34 rads you should be losing about 4 or 5 health a second. it would drill into you that you really shouldn't hang around these things for to long, like, period. not unless you've got some health upgrades or perhaps a anti rad suit or field generator upgrade..that would be cool. (it should reduce incoming rad generation by ..pff...30%? :/)
Freeasabird
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Freeasabird wrote:
Purplecharmanderz wrote:
Freeasabird wrote:

That comes to an assumption on what said meter tracks, yet give it another reference and it makes sense. I get what you are trying to say but you are going off head canon there, since there isn't anything besides game mechanics that can really tell us what that 100 is meant to represent. You also use the term radiation quite often despite the broad term it actually is. While what you are trying to say is understandable, there are a few things you don't seem to understand when it comes to that both in game and in reality. (Heat for example is technically radiation, radio waves are technically radiation, visible light as well.)

Hm, well tbh i never gained 100 rads before, because..well, its Radiation, thats not good to have a lot of that swimm'in in ya. i mean if you gained around 50 or more radiation, you should seriously be suffering from radiation sickness at that point, the screen should be green around the edges and a bit wobbly. but thats just me. (would be cool if there was mod support :/) but when you have lets say 30/34 rads you should be losing about 4 or 5 health a second. it would drill into you that you really shouldn't hang around these things for to long, like, period. not unless you've got some health upgrades or perhaps a anti rad suit or field generator upgrade..that would be cool. (it should reduce incoming rad generation by ..pff...30%? :/)

This further shows a few errors in your rad logic. First off, you assume the 100 to be one level without any actual evidence for that, and the only evidence we have for what the 100 may represent is from game mechanics which you claim is inaccurate to some degree (saying that at 30 you would be sick or such). Head canon isn't a solid backing for this.

Second point, you drop the term radiation in such a broad sense when saying it should be dangerous at some levels (which you use head canon to get numbers for) and you ignore the fact some radiations are far more dangerous than others. Heat can be a form of radiation, and we produce that our selves. It is dangerous at same levels, but then you get visible light which is another radiation (electromagnetic). Very different levels of danger. Rads likely are further up closer to gamma rays and xrays but we don't know where it lands, which only further causes issues for those numbers you are assuming.

You are not only assuming how dangerous the radiation is, but also assuming what the rad meter means. You can't calculate the rad danger without a way to measure it. if you want to not use the game's mechanics as a way to measure said effects, well then you are removing your only possible measurement tool.

While that may make it more challenging, you went on as if the rad meter didn't make sense, which is where you began a number of assumptions.
Last edited by Purplecharmanderz on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Calydor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:39 am

Please stop trying to make something I relax with be a source of adrenaline. Go put on some rollerblades and race down a steep hill if you want a thrill.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:30 am

Calydor wrote:Please stop trying to make something I relax with be a source of adrenaline. Go put on some rollerblades and race down a steep hill if you want a thrill.

These suggestions could easily be a new game mode or setting for current games, which wouldn't interfere with your gaming experience.

In this moment, I think the game is balanced, though after you've done this enough, no damage source is really a major concern.

As such, I do think there's room to discuss what could be done to add more challenge. I think an option within settings that modifies damage sources could be useful (based on a difficulty level).

With that said, and to your own point Calydor, the spirit of the game may be more casual and relaxing, not adrenaline producing, so these kinds of changes are likely not on the developers radar.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby Freeasabird » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Calydor wrote:Please stop trying to make something I relax with be a source of adrenaline. Go put on some rollerblades and race down a steep hill if you want a thrill.

Alls i'm asking is for damage sources to do a little bit more damage so as to actually make the health upgrades USEFUL. because they are completely useless right now. you mide as well not even have them in the game, you would have to make a conscious effort if order get anywhere near 50 health. and fall damage is a missing feature. because some of the landings my chick goes through she nearly glitches through the ground she lands so hard. a landing like that should do some damage.
Freeasabird
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:30 pm

Freeasabird wrote:...nearly glitches through the ground she lands so hard. a landing like that should do some damage.

I've started noticing this as well, though I wouldn't call it a glitch, as it just seems how the animation of physics works. It does seem like I'm chin to the ground though. It happens while I'm doing my Gilded Ginger run, and I fly off the highest point of the map to what feels like the lowest.
Jeb
Rancher

Return to General Discussion