Regarding Console Content

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Regarding Console Content

Postby Kara » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Hey ranchers! Wanted to clear up some concerns I'm seeing on the forums about the recent DLC announcement.

With the physical retail release for PS4 and Xbox just around the corner (LESS THAN 1 MONTH AWAY), we announced console-exclusive Chroma Packs and Playsets today!

This new PS4 and Xbox One DLC will stay exclusive to their respective platforms, but we're planning to have something similar for Steam down the road. For now though, we're promoting the current stuff relevant to the PS4 digital and physical version launch.

Stay wiggly! :D
Kara
Developer

Re: Regarding Console Content

Postby Jeb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Kara wrote:...for Steam down the road.

I don't want to add to the outcry, and I'm fine either way, but what about DRM-free like Humble? This may be more to manage than is desirable, so I get it.... just curious.
Last edited by Jeb on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby Calydor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Sorry to say this, but what you're doing is giving a big fat middle finger to the people that gave you money when the game was in early access. I suppose the only ones that get attention are the ones that haven't bought the game yet and the rest of us just don't matter.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 am

I get where you and others are coming from Calydor, though consider this, the intent is likely to add fresh content to the game. Yes, it's console exclusive. But, it's not like it's a unique expansion (like Thora or BOb) limited to those consoles. It's a fun gimmick really, and everyone will get something similar, including Steam users. I don't see how that's a big fat middle finger. Then again, I see it as a fun gimmick and not a game breaking feature I'm missing out on.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:39 am

Something I'll add. This decision to include exclusive DLC was likely a business decision to help generate more players on those consoles. That's good for everyone, as the community gets more engagement.

Monomi Park could have stuck to this being console exclusive, and made this special edition for an extra fee. No... they made it free, and due to the outcry of the community, agreed to do something for Steam as well.
Last edited by Jeb on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby Hatch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 am

Happy to see new content even if it is console locked. Would love to see some more PS4 Avatars XD
12 year computer technician who is always glad to help ;)
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 am

Slime Rancher was an Early Access title, but wasn't crowdfunded. Crowdfunded games are the ones where people that pre-order the game get special content.

If anything is a middle finger to gamers, it's those kinds of games with exclusive paid-for content. Some people can't afford the hundreds of dollars to get exclusive Kickstarter-like content. And other people are late to the party and don't get that chance.

Slime Rancher isn't one of them. Being Early Access meant you got access to play the alpha and beta builds, not get any special content.

Like Hatch mentioned, I'm glad to have new content coming. And frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see EmeraldPlay or other modders make more stuff like this. Seeing Monomi Park release this content shows me they're still interested in adding more content. So thank you Kara and team for these updates.
Jeb
Rancher

Return to General Discussion