The company doing the French translation is scamming you

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

The company doing the French translation is scamming you

Postby crystalslime » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Maybe some people already reported this, but whoever is translating Slime Rancher in French is scamming you, devs. Seriously, paste the whole content of the game in Google Translation, click "Translate" and what you get will be a better translation. After the Quicksilver slime update I turned my game back to English (again) because what Mochi Miles says in French does not make sense. I'm not saying there are a few typos, it's far worse than this, basically it's plain nonsense. This ruins the quality of an otherwise great game, which I find sad. I hope it can be improved!
crystalslime
Plort

Re: The company doing the French translation is scamming you

Postby Noggy05 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Google Translate isn't accurate.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby Verbu » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:01 am

Russian translation. Same problem.
Verbu
Plort

Postby GravityCat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:25 am

This is why French translations has a feedback thread. So if translations are off, then provide feedback for Spaghetti Monster's sake. Same applies to Russian.

Although you will have to go into far more detail than pointing the finger saying "whoever is doing the translations is scamming you" while stating "it doesn't make sense". Think you can do that?
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 am

It still seems like they don't really care much about it. The russian translation already had a detailed list of mistakes posted on its feedback thread for months, yet nothing was changed.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:47 am

Although I wouldn't say they're a scam without a lot more evidence, some of the flaws in the french translation are pretty strange and inhuman, almost as if they're using some form of algorithm instead.

There's a lot of masculine-feminine mixups that even I picked up easily, and many verbs are default and imprecise, as in "tenir pour sprinter" rather than "maintenir pour sprinter" (tenir being literally to grip) - similarly to how Google Translate misuses verbs in longer texts.

Although this is typically not a computer issue, combined words are often just lazily changed to the two words and "de", such as in "hexon de miel" (hexagon of honey) instead of "Mielvéole" (honey cell) or "Hexomiel" (hexagon honey) or "batterave de coeur" (beet of heart) instead of "coeurais". It's quite irritating.

It really just feels like the translators either had no idea what they were translating or had no understanding of French.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby IvoireCrasfali » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am

It's true that the French translation is ... "not perfect" to be polite, and I can judge for the others languages.

But that's why we are here : To help improve the game. I did a lot of translation corrections lately, and if I could, i would correct every "descriptions" in the game, but I fear that would be ... "too long" on the forum.

And we talking about the translation, but why not about this forum instead? There's some missing features, like the "spoiler" balise missing, and it's the only one who could be usefull to prevent "TAKING ALL THE SPACE" like i did in the French Translation Feedbacks.
IvoireCrasfali
Chickadoo

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:59 am

IvoireCrasfali wrote:And we talking about the translation, but why not about this forum instead? There's some missing features, like the "spoiler" balise missing, and it's the only one who could be usefull to prevent "TAKING ALL THE SPACE" like i did in the French Translation Feedbacks.

I recommend you direct this to phpBB instead. Monomi Park does not make the forum software.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby DarkCreature97 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 am

I've just given up since they haven't done anything since my post in the Spanish translation.
I want more Slime Rancher tings fam.
DarkCreature97
Keeper

Postby BlanketPI » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:04 am

It's quite possible that they only have a basic understanding of the grammar and do everything by dictionary word-for-word. Or they have people who took a few semesters of a language for translation, rather than people who have lived in the country or whatever. Which is... not exactly optimal, but...
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby Randomtangle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 pm

What did she say?
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!