Rush Mode Scores

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Rush Mode Scores

Postby EmeraldPlay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Share your rush mode scores here!

I tried it and I got 102k as the final score with 65k newbucks and 9 plort modifiers. The run was great and exciting especially by the end where I tried to quickly get the last rock plort modifier. There was however much to be improved here, as I spent a lot of time travelling around the range searching for slimes.

My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Re: Rush Mode Scores

Postby WaffleMelon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

I just tried Rush Mode for the first time and had a lot of fun doing it! My first score wasn't that great, but I was able to notice many areas of improvement, mainly all related to navigation, since this mode rewards exploring a lot more that 5-day ever did. I'm really looking forward to trying this a bunch more times to get a pretty sick highscore :D

Oh, very important thing, I didn't complete Mochi's quest in time and that was a total run-breaker for me, so if anyone is trying out the mode do not underestimate the time you have to do these quests.
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby WaffleMelon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:18 am

So I just tried it for the second time and got a much better score than I did last time! I managed to get a score of 13.5k with 96k newbucks :)

There is definitely still much room for improvement - my teleporter placement was terrible this round and I ended the round with 3 Gilded Ginger that I really should have used earlier. It also took me way too much time to put the slimes in my ranch. If I can improve on those aspects I should be able to get a much better score.

There was a bunch of things that I decided to change from my last run. Firstly, I really didn't like having Dervish Slimes around, they were really hard to control so this time I went for tangle instead, even if they were a little bit harder to find at first. This time I also knew the map a lot better, so there were some Gold Gordos that I was already aware of and others that I suspected would be around due to some patterns in the Gordo placement.
Also a really important thing was the plorts I chose to get bonuses on. Trying to get the Quantum bonus last time was a terrible idea, I should have stayed with more common slimes, so this time I went for Rad and Crystal which were a lot easier to get. I realize now that I forgot to go for the Tabby bonus, I think I could have gotten that fairly easy. The Phosphor bonus is also and option but since you can almost only get it during the night it makes it a little bit situational.

Having a lot of fun with this so far!
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby BlanketPI » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am

I just wanted to see what kind of score I'd get from using old strategies. I tried Honey + Hunter and got 39,312, which is less than a third of what WaffleMelon got. Mind you, I floundered around a lot, didn't burst the Honey Gordo until rather late (and lost half the Honey Slimes produced to Tarr), so I probably could have gotten something like 50,000 (maybe 65,000 with Crystal + Rad), but that'd still be less than a half. I'll also note that on day 3, I needed Prickle Pears for the exchange, but I hadn't unlocked the Indigo Quarry yet, let alone the Ancient Ruins nor Glass Desert, so I only made it to Day 4.

One thing I noticed is that after my first round, a lot fewer Honey Slimes spawned. I'm guessing that's another way they're keeping us from abusing one Largo type. Either way, nice job! Looking forward to trying it for real.
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby CoasterMan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 am

Anyone else notice that the song from the trailers for the game plays during the last 3 minutes?
CoasterMan
Rancher

Postby WaffleMelon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:58 pm

BlanketPI wrote:so I only made it to Day 4.

This might have been a pretty big factor to your score, you can get a lot done if you get an extra quest in.
I'm really curious to try my old tactic too. I used to go for Rad Crystal largos and I've yet to see how they work here. I used to get really high scores with that so I think I might be able to do it again.

CoasterMan wrote:Anyone else notice that the song from the trailers for the game plays during the last 3 minutes?

I noticed it was some sort of faster-paced music, I hadn't realized it was from the trailer, good job noticing that :D

EDIT: I just tried my 5-day technique here and it worked pretty well. I got a score of 88k with 65k worth of newbucks.

I think I can say for now that choosing quantity over rarity when it comes to slimes is a very viable strategy. I got a very decent score when trying this and yet I played terribly. I wasn't able to complete the last quest because Mochi asked for Honey, Fire and Mosaic Plorts. I only had 10 minutes left and there was no way I was going to be able to revive the Glass Desert, get lucky with a firestorm AND unlock the Moss Blanket in that amount of time. I think that I could have done this throughout the run before but I was ill-prepared, so I advise anyone that's trying this to not neglect the areas of the game you aren't using because you might get locked out of some quests.

I was actually curious about how much I lost for not being able to do that quest so I did a rough estimate. Completing a quest gives you an extra 12 minutes of gameplay and 6 Gilded Ginger. If in an optimal scenario I was able to get 2 more Gold Gordos (which I'm pretty sure I could, I knew of 2 locations that were fairly easy to access) I could get around 70 Gold Plorts, which is 21k newbucks. By getting 12 more minutes to play, my Oca Ocas would have time to grow again and that would give me time to get another round of harvesting plorts. From what I saw from my last harvest I'll risk saying that that's another 25k loss at least.

Essentially I presume I lost around 46k by not doing which would make 111k newbucks at the end and a score of 150k.

Also, I completely messed up right before the timer reached zero. I misjudged the time I had left and wasn't able to fully harvest my plorts, losing at least 10k in the process. I did waste a couple of minutes through this round because I accidentally used a one-way teleporter in the Glass Desert and my closest two-way teleporter was to the beginning of the Ancient Ruins so it took me a while to get back.

By adding that 10k that I lost I could potentially get a score of 163k! So yeah, if I played better I could definitely had made my old 5-day strategy viable in rush mode. It's hard to tell whether it would be better than the new, explore heavy tactic I've used earlier because I have a lot more experience with my Rad Crystal method. I'll probably retry this method once more to see if I can get closer to those 163k and then I might get back to exploring.
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby WaffleMelon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:45 pm

254k Score!

After a lot of practice I finally got a score that exceeded my expectations! A little bit of storytime to see how I got here:

I spent a bunch of ours playing Rush Mode while trying to apply my old Rad Crystal Strategy. After my last try, I got a score of 109k with 84k newbucks.

During that run I made some terrible timing mistakes. I ended the run still with some Gilded Ginger and my ranch was of plorts. I'm pretty sure almost all my corrals had over 200 plorts each.

I was still not happy with my score, I knew I could do better. I started trying even harder. I ran for my Rad Crystals a lot earlier, getting my ranch full fairly quick. I also started jetpacking above slime gates. I hadn't realized at first that this was a possibility, because it was a lot less practical to do in 5-day rush since you didn't have all the upgrades and you had no teleporters, which meant you had to jetpack over them every single time you wanted to access that area. Now it's definitely possible and I made sure to use that to my advantage. I did waste a few runs trying to do it, I didn't have much practice with it and ended up getting knocked out a bunch of times, but that also made me have more experience in this mode.

I've said this already, but I must mention again how valuable the trading quests are, specially the last one. Unlike the other quests, you only have 12 minutes max to do the last one, which is Mochi's quest. It's also one of the hardest ones if you only one type of largo slimes around, specially because she asks for plorts that are from the Glass Desert. I had a good run broken because there was no way I could get a Fire Plort with the little time I had, so I started making time in my runs to prepare for those situations.

After some trying I finally got it right. I managed my time really well. I prepared all the areas I needed to do quests faster. I settled for the plort bonuses that I felt had a good chance of getting it and I FINALLY sold every plort I had in my ranch. I'll still be trying to do Rush Mode with Tangle Mosaics to really experience the exploring aspect that Rush Mode added. I should do better now that I have more experience in it. For now, I'll leave you with the final screenshot for my Rad Crystal strategy - 181k newbucks and a 254k score :)

WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby coten » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 pm

here's what I managed after a few intense runs and a couple of restarts:

this reworked rush mode is super fun, and I'm glad that there are rewards for selling diverse types of plorts now. makes things a lot more interesting than just cramming the ranch full of rad/crystal largoes.

some tips from my experiences:

-RUSH THE GLASS DESERT: now that the plort statues are all filled in for you, all you really need to get full access to the Desert is three keys - break into the Moss Blanket by jetpacking over the gate, then open gates in the Blanket, Ruins, and Desert to be able to reach the end of the map! this means that the most valuable slimes in the game are much easier to grab and start working with. the less-needy Gordo slimes help here too; ten Tangle slimes for one chicken is a darn good deal to take advantage of. plus, you should be able to easily find ripe pears and parsnips for food! I try to populate my ranch with Desert slimes as soon as possible, before working my way down with other slime species, to earn more bonuses while the desert slimes make me money in the background.

-USE YOUR GADGETS: you've got a lot of useful stuff to work with in Rush Mode, so make it work for you. plant Hydro Turrets around your ranch to help in the event of an accident (stuff goes wrong real easy when you're in a hurry), and Med Stations near particularly lethal slimes, like Crystals. if you suddenly need a 5th slot in your vactank, drop a Warp Depot nearby to offload a food item, that you can recover later by planting / finding the second Depot. (I use one to store the Ginger I recieve for when I''m ready to hunt down Gold Gordoes.) plant your three teleporter entrances as soon as you start, and drop the other ends in areas you want to keep coming back to later on. I highly recommend having a teleporter from your ranch to the very entrance of the Ancient Ruins; this will give you quick access to the Ruins, Quarry, and Blanket for the rest of the game!
and, last but not least,

-THE MARKET LINK: next to those teleporters, this is probably the most important tool you have, though you might not realize it at first! need to get some plorts out of your inventory? instead of wasting a depot or tossing something away, drop the Link and cash in the plorts! see a bunch of plorts on the ground while travelling, and got some inventory space to spare? clean the area up, then sell the plorts with the Link before moving forward! heck, are you just trying to sell the plorts in your corrals? drop the Market Link nearby to avoid shuttle runs to the main market board - saving a few seconds at a time really makes a difference when the clock has almost run out. just remember to pick it up once you're done using it!

-GET TREASURE PODS FOR EARLY CASH: even before finishing Thora's request, you can get a nice chunk of spending money by cracking Treasure Pods in the earliest areas of the Dry Reef. in particular, there's a purple pod near the Slime Sea that can be accessed just to the left of the first "room" of the Dry Reef. crack that, and you'll have an extra $350 to spend right away - enough for some High Walls on your first corral, for example. while I don't recommend going really far out of your way for pods once you have some income going for you, popping pods that happen to be near / on your travel routes is usually a good idea.
coten
Chickadoo

Postby WaffleMelon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 am

coten wrote:RUSH THE GLASS DESERT

Glad to know this works this well, I'll really be motivated to try it now!

coten wrote:then open gates in the Blanket, Ruins, and Desert to be able to reach the end of the map!

What is your opinion on jetpacking over these gates too? I'm personally a fan of it since it can take a bit to get the keys (even though with the half-popped gordos it became easier) and you can put teleporters after the gate so you don't really need to open them. It does make exploring a little bit harder though, since you can't connect the ancient ruins to the blanket and the quarry as easily with a teleporter (the gates will be closed). From your experience, what's your take on this?

coten wrote:THE MARKET LINK

Oh man I hadn't realized it could be picked up once placed, thank you so much for this! This will be so freaking useful!

Congratulations on your score by the way! What's your opinion on Dervish Slimes? I tried to ranch them once but even with High Walls and a net they seemed to create a bunch of chaos so I gave up on then. Also do you feel your corrals with slimes that are not from the desert or do you get your plorts without ranching them?
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby coten » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm

WaffleMelon wrote:What's your opinion on Dervish Slimes? I tried to ranch them once but even with High Walls and a net they seemed to create a bunch of chaos so I gave up on then.

oh, I use Dervish Slimes as my main Largo base on the ranch! having a split in the main area between Dervish/Tangle and Dervish/Mosaic has worked well for me; the split makes it a little quicker to gather their plorts up since I'm using a third inventory slot. high walls and air nets are definitely a prerequisite with Dervishes, but I haven't had much trouble with them besides that - might be because I also use plort collectors with them.

(those plort collectors might be a bit of a crutch, now that I think about it... might have to try playing without 'em and see if it's faster to just scoop plorts up off the ground instead of parking in front of the output for 30 seconds at a time)

WaffleMelon wrote:do you fill your corrals with slimes that are not from the desert, or do you get your plorts without ranching them?

I do keep a few other types of slimes on the ranch. when I'm first heading through the Dry Reef, I usually grab some Tabby and Rock slimes and put them in the starter corral. after they've mingled for a while, I usually have enough plorts for a bonus. once I'm done with them, I just chuck them over Bea's house to clear the space for more Dervish largoes.

for the first night, I make about a dozen Phosphor/Boom largoes - I can keep them overnight in a relatively normal corral in the Wilds, feed them with foraged cuberries and briar hens, and let them disappear on their own around 6:00 AM the next morning. that knocks out two sorta-difficult-for-me plort bonuses without much effort and saves me most of the cleanup.

later on, I'll grab a Hunter Slime (or plort, if I'm unlucky and have to feed the ferals) and pair it off with either a Quantum or Crystal slime. after that... I sort of just wing it. usually I end up with six fully-stocked corrals at the end of a game, at least four of which are Dervish-based, with one or two other valuable plorts. whatever's left over, i'll grab from the wild over the course of a couple of visits to their respective areas.

oh, and I also keep a Pond and Incinerator on hand for Puddle and Fire slimes. I try to grab 'em before the end of Day 2 to make sure they produce enough plorts for their bonuses. otherwise, they're not worth much on their own, sadly. (try scooping up stray puddle plorts in fresh water and selling them with the Market Link!)

WaffleMelon wrote:What is your opinion on jetpacking over these gates too?

not a fan. I like to keep those areas open in the event that I get an oddball request from the Range Exchange (those Odd Onions never seem to show up when I need em to!).

by my count, you need four keys to have open access to every area. one for the "back doors" of the Moss Blanket and Indigo Quarry, one for the teleporter room of the Ancient Ruins, and one to reach the back half of the Glass Desert without having to do a bunch of jetpack manoeuvres each time. the first two - entering from the Moss Blanket and opening the teleporter room - are easy to get from the Pink Gordo and Phosphor gordo, no problems there.

for the other two, I usually go after the Dervish and Mosaic gordos - which I would want to do anyways, since they both award about 8-10 very valuable slimes of each kind after popping them! this lets me quickly populate my ranch once all of my corrals are built. so: get the Dervish gordo done first to open up the back half, drop a teleporter pad somewhere and drop off those first Dervish slimes, and then finish the Mosaic gordo.

i'll be waiting to hear how your attempts go with the new strategies!

also, an update from this evening:

need to start finding ways to get better gold gordo results, methinks
coten
Chickadoo

Postby JasontheBasin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:40 am

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN
Im good friends with emeraldplay, who's a Slime rancher modding god.

HAIL HIM.
JasontheBasin
Keeper

Postby Noggy05 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 am

I tried Rush for the first time ever (never tried 5DR). I got 11381 Newbucks. I can't upload the file for some reason. I burst two Gold Gordos, got 42 Gold Plorts, completed one range exchange request, unlocked one slime gate, and didn't get any data nodes!
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby WaffleMelon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:19 am

I decided to go ham on the whole concept of having different types of slimes to see how much fun it would be. It was going pretty well until I made one fatal mistake: I put my Dervish slimes next to the other ones. This was the result:

Needless to say I could not come back from these and my ranch became very empty afterwards. Either way I had a lot of fun! I did manage to get all the plort bonuses which is really cool. Here's the final score:

I sold very little of each plort and played poorly in many other aspects, but it was a really interesting experience nonetheless.

I feel like I've explored everything I wanted to do in Rush Mode so that will be all from me right now. I want to congratulate coten on his amazing score. I didn't exactly try to contest it but I don't think I need to, it's a very impressive score on its own and I probably wouldn't get to it even if I tried haha.

Best luck to everyone who plays this really fun mode :)
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby Noggy05 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 am

That picture is art. 'tis true beauty at its maddest.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby coten » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 pm

okay I have to brag one last time

through constant garden replanting, activating the oases in the Desert for more regional slimes to spawn, abusing Hunter largo formation to squeeze out extra plorts from other slimes, and getting stupid luck with gold gordoes, I made my goal of 500,000 points. think I'm done for a while.

I recorded the gameplay footage of this. gonna upload it tomorrow for others to study.
coten
Chickadoo

Postby WaffleMelon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:38 am

Once again, congratulations coten :D
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby coten » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:03 am

here's the video uploads, at last!

part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6k8PgQ7Wgk
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AisJ5sNRXo8