Please, make treasure pods you can't open appear on the map.

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Please, make treasure pods you can't open appear on the map.

Postby CrazeePi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 am

Playing this game since the update came out reminded me of the worst part of this game, treasure pods. They don't feel like a reward for exploration, they feel like the game's giving me a middle finger. If you made them appear on the map when you found them, it would make them so much better while keeping the original idea (assuming the original idea isn't to piss people off).
If an admin or such sees this please delete this account. I did not see any way to delete this account in the settings.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Re: Please, make treasure pods you can't open appear on the

Postby GravityCat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 am

Reminder that people put up guides on where to find them.

The wiki has all 6 decorations for Nimble Valley. There's the possibility additional pods exist that contain slime science resources, but none have been reported.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby BlanketPI » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:54 am

Yeah, but what if you want to find them on your own? I stopped looking for things once I found out I didn't have a good enough Treasure Cracker. These things are rather well-hidden, so it's not easy to remember how to get to them, and even if it were, there are enough of them that it'd be impossible to remember them all.

I mean, if you've already found them once, so why do you have to find them again? Just make it so that you have to get close enough that you see the text about needing a more advanced Treasure Cracker. I mean, yeah, they're secret, but are they really supposed to be that secret? Especially since those who don't care for the secrets can just go online?
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:40 am

BlanketPI wrote:Yeah, but what if you want to find them on your own?

Then go for it. But if you're doing it all on your own you probably will never find them all without a little help.

Then when you can't find them, or find a pod you can't open, you get frustrated, then you suggest marking them on the map.

I stopped looking for things once I found out I didn't have a good enough Treasure Cracker.

Treasure Crackers are easy enough to get; requires a little grind though - 100 Gadgets crafted in The Lab and buying Crackers as they unlock.

These things are rather well-hidden, so it's not easy to remember how to get to them, and even if it were, there are enough of them that it'd be impossible to remember them all.

The map is large, but it's not that big. It's not hard to remember where pods you've found previously are located.

I mean, if you've already found them once, so why do you have to find them again?

Welcome to the world of backtracking. I am your host.

Treasure Pods I feel are meant for more end-game. So for now, I suggest not worrying about them, building up your Gadget count, buying Crackers as they unlock, and get all of them at once.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby BlanketPI » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 am

GravityCat wrote:Then go for it. But if you're doing it all on your own you probably will never find them all without a little help.

Then when you can't find them, or find a pod you can't open, you get frustrated, then you suggest marking them on the map.
It's specifically ones you couldn't open but could find. >_>

Treasure Crackers are easy enough to get; requires a little grind though - 100 Gadgets crafted in The Lab and buying Crackers as they unlock.
Yeah, I have the most advanced one now (though I hadn't realized that it was behind a 100 gadget wall at first)

The map is large, but it's not that big. It's not hard to remember where pods you've found previously are located.
It's big enough

Welcome to the world of backtracking. I am your host.
...So you're basically justifying it by saying that it's in other games, though such a thing is usually considered a flaw of such games?

Treasure Pods I feel are meant for more end-game. So for now, I suggest not worrying about them, building up your Gadget count, buying Crackers as they unlock, and get all of them at once.
Yeah, I know that they're for end-game, but why do they have to be for end game? Why are we discouraged from exploring before the end-game?

I mean, the status quo isn't intolerable, but I don't see how marking on the map the locations of the Treasure Pods you do find before you can open them is a negative toward the game? Would it make you feel more at ease if it were just that you could place markers on the map, giving it more functionality but taking away from how specific it is? Why are y'all so resistant to this? I doubt it's hard to program and if it is hard for some odd reason, then why not just say that the time it would take isn't worth it? Like yeah, it's not the most important thing to add. I get that. But how is it a bad thing to add?
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby CoasterMan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

CrazeePi wrote:(assuming the original idea isn't to piss people off).

DUDE! THERE ARE KIDS USING THIS SITE (probably)
CoasterMan
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 am

...So you're basically justifying it by saying that it's in other games, though such a thing is usually considered a flaw of such games?

Pointing out that it exists does not equate to justifying it.

But part of the game is exploration. And you often have to revisit areas anyway. In this sense, pretty much every game in the genre has a backtracking element

But I don't see how marking on the map the locations of the Treasure Pods you do find before you can open them is a negative toward the game?

It's less about being a negative impact, and more about is it really needed?
The game map is large enough that it can be memorised, along with locations of certain pods.

Why are we discouraged from exploring before the end-game?

You're not. When you find a Gordo, what's the first thing you want to do? Burst it. When you burst it, it drops a key. You find a Gate. You open it. You go in. You explore. Get new slimes and resources to use back home. You're encouraged to pop Gordos to progress further into the game; Quarry and the Blanket, then the Ruins, then the Glass Desert. And now Ogden's Retreat and Mochi's Manor.

When you purchase The Lab, it does state that only experienced ranchers should use it, and it costs a large amount of resources (and it doesn't state it, but also time). The idea behind it is progression. The Treasure Crackers are earned by building a large amount of gadgets, and the final tier is itself rather expensive. The idea is by the time you get the purple crackers, you've already progressed to the point where you've made significant headway into Slime Science. And by extension, gotten to the point where you can open every treasure pod on the map.

By the time you've built 100 gadgets - usually extractors which are made entirely with plorts - you should have gained enough resources to make the gadgets and decorations from treasure pod hunting after unlocking the MKIII.

You've got to remember that Treasure Pods are essentially Slime Rancher's equivalent of a late-game collectable item. For green and blue, maybe far earlier. But what some people do on games with collectables is wait until they've either beaten a game or gotten to the point where they have full access to the map, and get them all at once.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby CrazeePi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 pm

It's less about being a negative impact, and more about is it really needed?

Yes.

The game map is large enough that it can be memorised, along with locations of certain pods

Ah yes, I can clearly memorize the locations of 50 different treasure pods.

You've got to remember that Treasure Pods are essentially Slime Rancher's equivalent of a late-game collectable item.

Shouldn't collectibles be a reward for exploration though?

But what some people do on games with collectables is wait until they've either beaten a game or gotten to the point where they have full access to the map, and get them all at once.

If only there was a feature that allowed people to do that much more easily...

CoasterMan wrote:DUDE! THERE ARE KIDS USING THIS SITE (probably)

I don't know what you find wrong about saying something pisses people off.
If an admin or such sees this please delete this account. I did not see any way to delete this account in the settings.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby GravityCat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Ah yes, I can clearly memorize the locations of 50 different treasure pods.

But you're not memorising 50? In your original post you're memorising whatever you come across. Which I doubt is 50.

Quote:
CrazeePi wrote:If you made them appear on the map when you found them, it would make them so much better while keeping the original idea

Shouldn't collectibles be a reward for exploration though?

Usually, yes. But not all games allow that right off the bat.
In this case it's the way the game is structured. Makes no sense to allow you to open pods without working for it first.

If only there was a feature that allowed people to do that much more easily...

But how would you go about doing that if you're only opening pods you've come across, not going around getting them all?

It could be just because of the short blunt responses but you're sending mixed messages. Your responses to me now indicates that you'd rather have all the locations of all the pods revealed right away, rather than just revealing ones you've found but haven't opened. If that's the case then you're contradicting your original suggestion.
Last edited by GravityCat on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Either way I've said my piece, I don't want to drag this out with yet more quote box responses that just keep going, and going, and going, and never leading anywhere.

Believe it or not, ultimately I'm not fussed. I just don't think it's needed.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Noggy05 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Same here. If I find a treasure pod that I can unlock, I open it. If I can't, I just leave it to later. I think I forget most of the locations but never felt a need to mark them.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby BlanketPI » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:46 am

I agree that it's not needed. I just think that it'd still be beneficial to the game, especially since it shouldn't be difficult to program.
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 am

BlanketPI wrote:I agree that it's not needed. I just think that it'd still be beneficial to the game, especially since it shouldn't be difficult to program.

depends on a few things, but yeah, wouldnt be overly difficult, except the fact that you would need to inject it into each pod individually with slight variations to the code.

step one: check if the pod is open
step two: check if the player is within a certain zone around it
step three: inject marker onto the map if the open check comes out false and the location check is true
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby BlanketPI » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 am

Purplecharmanderz wrote:
BlanketPI wrote:I agree that it's not needed. I just think that it'd still be beneficial to the game, especially since it shouldn't be difficult to program.

depends on a few things, but yeah, wouldnt be overly difficult, except the fact that you would need to inject it into each pod individually with slight variations to the code.

step three: inject marker onto the map if the open check comes out false and the location check is true
Couldn't those first two just be tied in with the code that displays the "You need a more advanced Treasure Cracker to unlock this" (or whatever it says) code? I mean, if you don't look at the Treasure Pod, I can imagine them not wanting to show it on the map, anyway, right? Plus, this makes it substantially easier to program in, I reckon. (The other part could probably be ripped off of the part that displays the teleporters/extractors. Then you'd just need to have each Treasure Pod delete the marker once you actually open it.)
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby CoasterMan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:39 pm

CrazeePi wrote:
CoasterMan wrote:DUDE! THERE ARE KIDS USING THIS SITE (probably)

I don't know what you find wrong about saying something pisses people off.

Just say that it gets people angry

PROBLEM SOLVED
CoasterMan
Rancher

Postby CrazeePi » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:33 pm

But you're not memorising 50? In your original post you're memorising whatever you come across. Which I doubt is 50.

50 is just me saying "a lot."

Makes no sense to allow you to open pods without working for it first.

Ok, but how is putting found treasure pods on the map going to get rid of the work? You still have to get the crackers and find the treasure pod in the first place.

Your responses to me now indicates that you'd rather have all the locations of all the pods revealed right away, rather than just revealing ones you've found but haven't opened.

I don't know where you're getting that from. I'm saying that if this were implemented you could go around the map, mark all the treasure pods, then open them all once you get all the crackers.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:04 am

BlanketPI wrote:
Purplecharmanderz wrote:

Couldn't those first two just be tied in with the code that displays the "You need a more advanced Treasure Cracker to unlock this" (or whatever it says) code? I mean, if you don't look at the Treasure Pod, I can imagine them not wanting to show it on the map, anyway, right? Plus, this makes it substantially easier to program in, I reckon. (The other part could probably be ripped off of the part that displays the teleporters/extractors. Then you'd just need to have each Treasure Pod delete the marker once you actually open it.)
that would actually work a lot better, and should take few lines of code. Wasn’t my first thought but it has a similar principle
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby WaffleMelon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:19 pm

I also don't agree with this idea, sorry. I won't state all my reasons for it because I feel like GravityCat mentioned most of them, but I will give emphasis to the one I value the most here. Even though the pods actually give you cosmetic rewards, they are mostly still collectibles. I don't agree with adding collectibles to a map, in any game, even if you saw them but can't get to them. I feel like the backtracking aspect of these things is what makes them interesting to collect in the first place.
Last edited by WaffleMelon on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:21 pm

WaffleMelon wrote:I also don't agree with this idea, sorry. I want state all my reasons for it because I feel like GravityCat mentioned most of them, but I will give emphasis to the one I value the most here. Even though the pods actually give you cosmetic rewards, they are mostly still collectibles. I don't agree with adding collectibles to a map, in any game, even if you saw them but can't get to them. I feel like the backtracking aspect of these things is what makes them interesting to collect in the first place.

Could argue if it was the case you could get to them and couldn’t open them at the time, still requiring all that work to get to them just to mark it on the map for the future. Although echoes can also do this in the current version
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby CrazeePi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Bumping in hopes something gets added to the next update to make them less frustrating.

Would you all feel better about the ability to stick pins into the map like Purple mentioned earlier?
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby Dragonslime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:53 pm

it would take serious work, and i would like to remind you Drones are taking a significant workload. But perhaps later in the future
The rare but elusive dragon slime

255 limit sucks
I am multitude of things
Rancher
Explorer deluxe
Half time terrarian
Half time inventor
Full time toa hero
1/4 book writer
Dragonslime
Rancher

Postby Valeritan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:26 am

I personally would like it if they appeared on the map as stated.
I draw stuff and stuff.
Valeritan
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:14 am

CrazeePi wrote:Bumping in hopes something gets added to the next update to make them less frustrating.

Would you all feel better about the ability to stick pins into the map like Purple mentioned earlier?

When did I mention sticking pins onto the map? I can't seem to find where I would have mentioned that.
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby CrazeePi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 am

Purplecharmanderz wrote:
CrazeePi wrote:Bumping in hopes something gets added to the next update to make them less frustrating.

When did I mention sticking pins onto the map? I can't seem to find where I would have mentioned that.

I was referring to this.

Purplecharmanderz wrote:Would it make you feel more at ease if it were just that you could place markers on the map, giving it more functionality but taking away from how specific it is?

Yeah you didn't specifically say pins but idk, pins sound cute.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:51 pm

CrazeePi wrote:
Purplecharmanderz wrote:

Couldn't find that post myself, which is why I asked. Sounded like something I would have said but couldn't find the post lol.
I was referring to this.

Purplecharmanderz wrote:Would it make you feel more at ease if it were just that you could place markers on the map, giving it more functionality but taking away from how specific it is?

Yeah you didn't specifically say pins but idk, pins sound cute.
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Next

Return to General Discussion