Mochi's Megabucks Update Discussion Thread

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Mochi's Megabucks Update Discussion Thread

Postby Kara » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 am

Mochi's Megabucks Update is now live on PC!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6617

Please use this thread to discuss and offer feedback.
Kara
Developer

Re: Mochi's Megabucks Update Discussion Thread

Postby z0mbiesrock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 am

f0rst
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby Twerps3 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am

Yay!
Hi

- SECRET!
Twerps3
Rancher

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 am

This is AMAZING!!! I'm playing right now.

My friend and i think there shouldn't be a cool down to the generators, and you can go whenever you want.

Sort of like Ogden's Retreat!
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Postby GlaciumFracture » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 am

It's here! though I thought the hen-hen planet needing the stuff from my crates was a feature?
We always need more crystal slimes. ALWAYS.
GlaciumFracture
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Really enjoying the update so far. It's great to have a super-fast, super-tactical area after the relaxing sightseeing of the Wilds (which I also loved. Still my favourite area).

My main complaint is about the vacpack; while firing New Valley items, a slight offset between the crosshair and the impact point is visible. Is there a reason for this? It seems to just make accurate firing harder. There's also the vacpack colour, which seems not to update the Miles version when changed. I feel like there should be an additional reward alongside the Miles Bonus (for lack of the correct term) - perhaps ₦200? It just feels a little empty for a first reward and reduces the rewards' hook.

Overall - loving it! Interesting setting, too.

GoldenLucky99 wrote:My friend and i think there shouldn't be a cool down to the generators, and you can go whenever you want. Sort of like Ogden's Retreat!

Just wanted to say that removing the countdown would defeat the point of the minigame. The game is meant to be incredibly short and infrequent, forcing you to make tactics when you play and fill the remaining time with other activities - this is the first time I've cleared my ranch in weeks.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby z0mbiesrock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Kara wrote:Quicksilver slimes are lightning quick...

...and impossible to capture.

z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby PrismSlime » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 pm

hey so what do the stars on the plort market mean?
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby MightyCoollego » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:12 pm

z0mbiesrock wrote:
Kara wrote:Quicksilver slimes are lightning quick...

...and impossible to capture.

I'm a little disappointed by this. I love them so much and I want to have some but I can't.
MightyCoollego
Chickadoo

Postby PrismSlime » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

not being able to sell quicksilver plorts in the normal plort market means we still have 5 more slimes to look forward to on the board!
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby SupaGamaBoi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm

already got all upgrades so yea
Really fun too, like mariokart but more slimey and Latiku doesn’t try to fish you when you go the wrong way
Dank SupaGamaBoi wrote:
I EAT THE MEMES
I DRINK THE MEMES
WITHOUT MEMES I WILL DIE

BEWARE THE MAN WHO SPEAKS IN HANDS
LOOK AT THAT NOOB GO
SupaGamaBoi
Rancher

Postby Monkeychow01 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Long incoming post, so you all have my apologies. You asked feedback so I want to give constructive feedback in here.

I will start that I have put many many hours into the game, and love it. So has my daughter, who it was very easy to get her into it. I want this as context to my criticism, as I mean it in the best way possible. This patch did not jive with me personally, and I'm not feeling it like any of your others so far.

Let me start with the positives so this doesn't feel like a negative post :

- The content you put in place, art style, the noticeable polish (including to gameplay), is beautiful. It shines through and we can feel it in the work you put in.

- The Quicksilver slimes are beautiful, the animations are great, and the lightning effects on the slimes and plorts were a nice touch.

- The new manor ranch is the best one yet, and quite honestly, I want to move my ranch to it.

- The content was the same length wise to do "everything" in it (and get all the hidden stuff) as the last one, so it fits perfectly.

- The Second Reward - Deluxe Chicken Coop - FINALLY THANK YOU. We've been asking for this for a very long time to make chickens viable, so this is a great addition. The TV in the coop is a nice touch too.

- The writing for Mochi was spot on, and very entertaining. Added a depth to her character, so well done!

- Your patch notes were great (yes, I read them all). It must be a software development thing, as my guys do the same thing and I love reading them.

But as I said, this patch really didn't work for me. Here's why :

- The content in general feels "disconnected" from the main game. If you meant for this, then you absolutely achieved it, but this doesn't feel like it belongs with Slime Rancher. There's multiple aspects I'm going to go into in a minute that make it feel this way, but this really feels like you wanted to experiment with new gameplay, see if you can do it with the engine and assets, and then "tack" it on to the game. It's not that the content isn't fun (please don't get me wrong here), it's that it feels like a completely separate game that really isn't part of slime rancher. That's not a good thing, at least in my book. If you were able to gain some new techniques and ideas for future content, that's great, but to me this wasn't really what I expected from a Slime Rancher update.

- The fact that you can't bring the Quicksilvers back to your main ranch, I actually can get behind. You had us buy into it in the last patch with the Sabers, so it's fine to repeat the concept. The issue is that you limit the interactions and usefulness of them with the rest of the game. There's no "stories" with them in the content. They appear, run around a little sporadic, but because you can't introduce any "variables" to their environment (other plorts, other slimes), there's no interaction or stories that happen with them in this context. You also can't do anything with the plorts (more on that in a minute). So basically the Quicksilvers are a completely separate piece of content to the game that doesn't interact with anything else in the game. At least with the Sabers you could bring back a "piece" of them to affect the main game (their plorts). This way, even though you couldn't take the Sabers themselves back, you could at least have it influence and interact with the main game and other environments, creating more content and story within the game. There's nothing with the Quicksilvers that influences anything about the rest of the game except that they are "there". This makes it feel very disconnected from everything else in the game.
    *Note - some could argue the Fire and Puddle Slimes have a similar feel (all you really do is sell their plorts), but since they are out in the main game (in all areas), they at least have the feel that they are "part" of the main game.

- So the plorts. You can't bring them back to your main ranch. You don't interact with them (they get auto picked up). They are only present to be something you carry back (200 at a time) to the Exchange, to turn in for a little bit of money and unlock some content. There's no real purpose for them, other than you have Slimes, and so slimes need to have plorts. But since they literally do not function like the rest of the game, and are only to help limit the speed in which you do the content for this patch, they then segment themselves from the rest of the game (again, feeling disconnected). You did this with the last patch with the nuts / fruit, and were able to get away with it because you have other food that only serves specific purposes. Plorts are uniform though, and when you add plorts that do not function / work like the majority of others in the game (one of the main mechanics of this game), it makes it feel disjointed.

- The vac "differentiation" for this separate part of the game was great to add the animations, and learn that you could do this for other future content. Ways of upgrading / using more features of the vacuum. But again, it's only used in a single section of the game. There's nothing that transfers back to the main game, so it segments off this piece of the game as "not part of the full game".

- The time lock of how long you can do this content is much more noticeable in this update. I get that you used the countdowns on things like the pumps etc. So it's not like it's a new "concept". The issue is that after you do the new content (the races), and you return to your ranch to sleep or "do something else", there's nothing new to "do". With your previous patch, note that you let the plorts come back from the Sabers, you had tofu that could be used in other areas, and the garden upgrades (that feel like extra "bonuses") to work into your main ranch. So when you were locked until the next day to get more nuts, you didn't notice it. Since nothing in this update transfers back to your main game? You notice that you're just being locked out of the content in order to limit how fast you do it. Granted, it was easy to do both runs, then go back and sleep, rinse and repeat, but it once again gave the feeling that this was very disconnected from the main game.

- The vac functions (probably a design choice not thought of). Your default of using the vac (and coming back to the area - you reset it) is to #1. #1 is where the auto plorts go. When you pick up sparks? That goes to #2. You don't default to #2, so many times, you shoot plorts not realizing it. Perhaps switch it?

- The first reward - random double market money for plorts. First just a note, nothing in F1 tells you about this after you get it (just a heads up), so if someone misses it, you don't know you have it. But second, most of your userbase is already in end game content. This won't be any good for them (basically useless), unless they completely start over and somehow get to this part of the game mid-stride, or they are new players. So I didn't really see the point of getting it. It doesn't add anything to the game.

- The second reward - the Deluxe Coop. Why did I put this into the negatives and positives? Because this is a feature we have been asking for for a very long time. It's sorely needed to make chickens relevant to farm again. The fact that this content is not in your normal upgrade path in the main game, and locked behind additional content that isn't part of the "main game", feels backwards. That was an addition that should be in your normal upgrade path for the regular game, as it then encourages you to make slime largos (or standards) that use chickens. So why can't that be moved?

- Your manors and new ranches are great, and honestly with the this content, I really wanted to move my ranch to it. You made it a tempting thing to do. The issue? You have to warp back to your original ranch to sleep. Even though you happen to now own a manor and a random house from Ogden? Why can't you sleep in the houses? It just makes them conversation pieces that you can recolor otherwise.

TLDR : I get that some folks are going to like this content because it's different, and it's polished and great work from your team. But it feels like a completely different game, that really has no impact on the main game (minus a few treasure pods, and one very critical needed update to chicken coops). Because of that, I don't see this as really being a Slime Rancher "update" / expansion, but more of a great development experience for some good technology for future updates.
Monkeychow01
Chickadoo

Postby DarkCreature97 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I have noticed before, but now it seems to be a bigger problem. The fact that the Vackpack is not centred doesn't help when shooting in this update and the rest of the game. I usually have the field view on max and I have tried lowering it 1 by 1, but this does not make a difference. Can you please fix this problem.
I want more Slime Rancher tings fam.
DarkCreature97
Keeper

Postby z0mbiesrock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am

Fixed bug where the Quarry central cave was incorrectly being treated as part of the ranch.

So now I can no longer keep Phosphor Hunter Largos in there anymore? :(
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Also, there is no slime toy machine in the Manor. Is this on purpose? Because the slimes I have in there are feeling bored.
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Something I've noticed is that the quicksilver theme randomly fails to loop sometimes and switches to the idle nimble valley theme. Kinda breaks immersion.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby AlanCorvus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Aiming works fine in the valley if you're not sprinting, but if you are sprinting, it is just completely awful. I'm not even sure it's just aiming. I've had one case where i shot at and hit a slime right in front of me only for nothing to happen, and I've had another where I shot into the center of a cluster of slimes only for none of them to be affected. The worst part of this is that not being able to aim while sprinting makes the core aspect of the minigame, racing, completely pointless. Since I barely hit anything sprinting and can't keep up with the slimes with the default run, there's no motivation to do either. The most effective strategy is finding a spot most of the slimes pass through and shooting at the oncoming slimes, only moving to recharge. If you do sprint, you have to constantly stop to hit your targets. There's very little motivation to try out the special shots either, since why even bother if they won't go where you aim? We are literally being punished for doing what we are supposed to do. That isn't fun.
AlanCorvus
Plort

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 pm

wouldn't mind a sound muffler for the chickens... maybe a scareslime in a trench-coat would work... and a fedora...

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Noggy05 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm

This is great fun, but for some reason I can't find any of the treasure pods. I checked the Wiki and saw pictures of the pods but I can't find them for some reason.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby CoasterMan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:26 pm

TheGreciansHousehold wrote:Something I've noticed is that the quicksilver theme randomly fails to loop sometimes and switches to the idle nimble valley theme. Kinda breaks immersion.

You can also intentionally do this by starting a slimeball game and sprint to the Nimble Valley to start chasing down Quicksilver Slimes before the slimeball music ends. Once the song ends, you will
hear the idle nimble valley theme while chasing down those Quicksilver Slimes.
CoasterMan
Rancher

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:56 pm

CoasterMan wrote:
TheGreciansHousehold wrote:Something I've noticed is that the quicksilver theme randomly fails to loop sometimes and switches to the idle nimble valley theme. Kinda breaks immersion.

You can also intentionally do this by starting a slimeball game and sprint to the Nimble Valley to start chasing down Quicksilver Slimes before the slimeball music ends. Once the song ends, you will
hear the idle nimble valley theme while chasing down those Quicksilver Slimes.

LIFE HAX
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Postby SteamedBaker392 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:35 am

Is Xbox getting it today?
SteamedBaker392
Plort

Postby queenofhearts » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:32 pm

GoldenLucky99 wrote:Also, there is no slime toy machine in the Manor. Is this on purpose? Because the slimes I have in there are feeling bored.

there is a toy slime machine there! it's just little out of the way; i didn't see it at first either. it's on the right of the house, near the trees.
queenofhearts
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:44 pm

queenofhearts wrote:
GoldenLucky99 wrote:Also, there is no slime toy machine in the Manor. Is this on purpose? Because the slimes I have in there are feeling bored.

there is a toy slime machine there! it's just little out of the way; i didn't see it at first either. it's on the right of the house, near the trees.

It however wasn't there when that user wrote this.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby WaffleMelon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:57 am

I liked this update a lot, I was really looking forward to the racing minigame and I was not disappointed. It is a bit unfortunate that there's not really a reward for going fast, since you can just stay in place and wait for slimes to pass by you, but it's fun regardless.

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is the Rush mode part of the update. I was a great fan of the original 5-day mode, I've had a lot of fun with it and got some pretty neat highscores. I am super into this new Rush Mode! I've only played it twice so far but the new mechanics really change up your strategy. I remember once trying to get to the Glass Desert in 5-day and getting a terrible score at the end because you weren't rewarded for exploring. Now with the Gold Gordos, the "mandatory" quests, the plort modifiers and the slime game open, the game is all about exploring! A+ on that part of the update, really revitalized that part of the game.

TheGreciansHousehold wrote:My main complaint is about the vacpack; while firing New Valley items, a slight offset between the crosshair and the impact point is visible. Is there a reason for this? It seems to just make accurate firing harder.

AlanCorvus wrote:Aiming works fine in the valley if you're not sprinting, but if you are sprinting, it is just completely awful.

I've noticed this too, I'm not sure if it is intentional or not. It would make sense for your aim to be worse while sprinting, but as AlanCorbus said that defeats the purpose of the races. I personally would like the offset to be gone, at least during the minigame if possible.

TheGreciansHousehold wrote:
GoldenLucky99 wrote:My friend and i think there shouldn't be a cool down to the generators, and you can go whenever you want. Sort of like Ogden's Retreat!

Just wanted to say that removing the countdown would defeat the point of the minigame. The game is meant to be incredibly short and infrequent, forcing you to make tactics when you play and fill the remaining time with other activities - this is the first time I've cleared my ranch in weeks.

I agree with TheGreciansHousehold here. Once I figured out there were countdowns I started to actually plan out my races a lot better and make sure I got all the time rings. It made me think a lot more about what I was doing, otherwise I would probably just stay next to the spawn point and wait for the slimes to come to me.
Also, Ogden's Retreat kind of had a countdown because you needed to wait for the plants to grow to actually harvest them I think.

Monkeychow01 wrote: positives of the patch (cut for space purposes haha)

Definitely agree with all of these. specially the art part.

Monkeychow01 wrote:The content in general feels "disconnected" from the main game.

True, but I don't personally think of this as a bad thing. I feel like the main game is already a neat little package on it's own, I don't see the need for any more progression in it. You start the game, you start to learn about all the other slimes, eventually you learn about slime keys, you start farming for keys and a bunch of hours later you get to the Glass Desert and finish the story. With all the distracting / side-questy things in the game like the slime science or simply the fact that you're always finding new slimes until the end of the game, I feel like you already have a lot to play with. It's a good game already. I don't really think they need to worry about end-game items, I guess it all depends on the direction you want to see the game going.

Don't get me wrong, pretty much every point you've raised is very valid, it's just that I personally like these isolated worlds.

DarkCreature97 wrote:Quicksilvers are a completely separate piece of content to the game

I agree with you on this one. I can also understand not being able to get the actual slimes to your ranch but it would be nice to get their plorts to create new largos, even it was just their little "ears" that transferred over to the largos, similar to how the teeth of the sabers do.

Monkeychow01 wrote:That[The Deluxe Coop Upgrade] was an addition that should be in your normal upgrade path for the regular game, as it then encourages you to make slime largos (or standards) that use chickens.

Even if it isn't in the "regular path" of the game, it is still very easy to get it in the early game. All you need to have access to this is have access to the Indigo Quarry, get the Grotto and do a Mochi quest. You can do this in the first or second in-game day of your gameplay. I feel like the fact that it isn't as easy to get as the other upgrades makes it feel a lot more valuable, which it is.

Monkeychow01 wrote:Why can't you sleep in the houses?

Also agree, it would only make sense to do so.
WaffleMelon
Chickadoo

Next

Return to General Discussion