third person view?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

third person view?

Postby ChosenPredator » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Image kind of reminds me of slime ranchs art style but do you think this is possible, I don't know why but playing long periods of time i've been getting headaches not sure why , this only happens with certain fps games but i was wondering if there will be an option..it'd be nice to see our character
ChosenPredator
Rancher

Re: third person view?

Postby CrazeePi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 pm

There isn't a character model for Beatrix right now, well, at least I don't think there is.
If an admin or such sees this please delete this account. I did not see any way to delete this account in the settings.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby flaming3z » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:14 am

I would love a third person view.
flaming3z
Plort

Postby z0mbiesrock » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:17 am

Since there is no official concept art yet, maybe using this fanart as a concept for the player model?:
Mellorine wrote:Image
What I'd think Beatrix would look like! Made a few adjustments from last time.
no vac pack, sorry everyone
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby zizzlha » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:09 pm

What game is that gif from?
zizzlha
Plort

Postby ChosenPredator » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwAvu8q-guk scrap mechanic a gorgeous game, almost the same kind of visual style as this one.

I think third person would be absolutely wonderful for this game but it has to be more of an open map rather then following corridors.
ChosenPredator
Rancher

Postby Alianin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:02 pm

As a person that gets motion sickness with first-person games, I would love a third-person view. In the meantime, I'll be staring at my vac when I'm running, which helps with the nausea. I love this game too much to be driven off by such things! :D
Wiki Manager of the Slime Rancher Wiki on Gamepedia
Alianin
Plort

Postby ChosenPredator » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:47 am

yeah not sure why I keep getting that with the game, it's the first game in along time that I enjoy playing long (I only wish they'd open up the map so it wasn't corridors to each open section i think they need to have one big world map)

third person would help tremendously also it would add some pretty cool options to put cool stuff onto our character if they ever decide to add a "slime town" for special events in seasons.
ChosenPredator
Rancher

Postby NekoSlime » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:54 am

I wouldn't mind a third person view, although it's a lot more work than you may think. It should be pretty low on the list of priorities. There are more central game mechanics that should be implemented first, like slime interactions (petting them and bouncing them!) and new areas.
NekoSlime
Rancher

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:06 pm

It's a great idea, and as cool as it would be there's a significant amount of work involved in getting something like that up and running, so it's probably not going to happen. The original design was actually a third person game but after starting with first person and seeing the slimes react to the camera it was clear that the game would be more engaging for the player in first. So it stuck.
Nick
Developer

Postby fortehluls » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:12 am

Nick wrote:It's a great idea, and as cool as it would be there's a significant amount of work involved in getting something like that up and running, so it's probably not going to happen. The original design was actually a third person game but after starting with first person and seeing the slimes react to the camera it was clear that the game would be more engaging for the player in first. So it stuck.

First person is ok for those people who can stomach it, but there are quite a few gamers out there who get moderate to severe motion sickness from the first person angle, and are therefore unable to play any game that isn't/lacks third person. Is there no hope at this point for a third person option?
fortehluls
Chickadoo

Postby ChosenPredator » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 am

fortehluls wrote:
Nick wrote:It's a great idea, and as cool as it would be there's a significant amount of work involved in getting something like that up and running, so it's probably not going to happen. The original design was actually a third person game but after starting with first person and seeing the slimes react to the camera it was clear that the game would be more engaging for the player in first. So it stuck.

First person is ok for those people who can stomach it, but there are quite a few gamers out there who get moderate to severe motion sickness from the first person angle, and are therefore unable to play any game that isn't/lacks third person. Is there no hope at this point for a third person option?

Yeah, it's unfortunate but if there is mods possible for this game it might happen, the motion sickness I have during a few hours of play with slime ranchers is bad, not sure what it is since I haven't got it with any FPS games in awhile, but Nick sounded pretty definitive about no third person..but i guess who knows.
ChosenPredator
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:31 am

Certain camera settings like bobbing, field of view, etc. may affect. I'm not entirely sure what's available in the game but I suggest that Monomi make an effort to make the game more tolerable for people who suffer from simulation sickness. Here's an extra credits video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvimYs7tnRM
Krakob
Admin

Postby fortehluls » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 am

Krakob wrote:Certain camera settings like bobbing, field of view, etc. may affect. I'm not entirely sure what's available in the game but I suggest that Monomi make an effort to make the game more tolerable for people who suffer from simulation sickness. Here's an extra credits video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvimYs7tnRM

Because I do not personally suffer from this motion sickness I cannot comment for sure on the actual effectiveness level of these solutions, but having played first person games with these settings tuned in the past (as part of a personal experiment) my friend still got sick and had to frequently leave the room even with these options enabled it happened with every first person game I tried to get her into...

I'd imagine if these "fixes" were truly effective, the condition that causes motion sickness in first person games would have a setting by now that eliminates the causes completely while remaining in first person, but I have to believe that because this has yet to occur the issue goes deeper than a few setting changes, although removing bobbing does help to a degree its far from a true fix.

Persoanlly I would imagine the Slime Rancher world would benefit from a third person option with manipulative angles, like those found in Super Mario Sunshine.
fortehluls
Chickadoo

Postby fortehluls » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:49 am

z0mbiesrock wrote:Since there is no official concept art yet, maybe using this fanart as a concept for the player model?:

This is AMAZING, I would LOVE to see this model in game if they could ever implement a third person option
fortehluls
Chickadoo

Postby fortehluls » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:01 am

ChosenPredator wrote:
fortehluls wrote:

Yeah, it's unfortunate but if there is mods possible for this game it might happen, the motion sickness I have during a few hours of play with slime ranchers is bad, not sure what it is since I haven't got it with any FPS games in awhile, but Nick sounded pretty definitive about no third person..but i guess who knows.

I understand that adding a third person option wouldnt be as simple as snapping ones fingers, or it would have been thrown in by now anyways. I would just like some affirmation that sometime in the future there could be a third person option which would open this game up for players who get moderate to severe motion sickness from first person.

On a side note if a mod for this game that implements 3rd person in a fashion similar to that of Super Mario Sunshine with dynamic angles were to become available I would want to know immediately so I could share it with my friend, because I know she would fall in love with this game if she were able to play it without motion sickness :D
fortehluls
Chickadoo

Postby Urby » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:14 pm

So, as someone who has made a few first person/third person games, here are a few hoops I know for sure a third person POV has to jump through:

1) Camera positioning. Sometimes the character can glitch themselves into a situation where the camera can bug out or get extremely confused. This doesn't even need to be a significant glitch; a character can be at an awkward angle next to a wall and the camera might not know where to place itself.
2) Camera control: I'm guessing "dynamic angles" are referring to a controllable camera as in Super Mario 64 and other 3D games. Again, this can run into interesting problems with walls and other things the camera can clip into.
3) Character model, and character collision. Obviously, in a third person POV, you need to see what you're controlling. That is a model that needs animations and good collision in order for the player to be immersed in the game. In first person POV, all you need is the arm or gun, which doesn't need as much hard checks for collision detection or clipping.

I am not saying this is impossible, but from what Nick has previously said, I think the developers would like to work on game content rather than implementing a new control and view mechanism when there is already one that works. I hope they release a mod editor though, because I'm sure the community would like to attempt it (I know I would; I seem to recall that this game is built on Unity, which is the game IDE I know.)
3D modeler, doodler, and video game designer.
Mole Slime
Urby
Rancher

Postby fortehluls » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Urby wrote:So, as someone who has made a few first person/third person games, here are a few hoops I know for sure a third person POV has to jump through:

1) Camera positioning. Sometimes the character can glitch themselves into a situation where the camera can bug out or get extremely confused. This doesn't even need to be a significant glitch; a character can be at an awkward angle next to a wall and the camera might not know where to place itself.
2) Camera control: I'm guessing "dynamic angles" are referring to a controllable camera as in Super Mario 64 and other 3D games. Again, this can run into interesting problems with walls and other things the camera can clip into.
3) Character model, and character collision. Obviously, in a third person POV, you need to see what you're controlling. That is a model that needs animations and good collision in order for the player to be immersed in the game. In first person POV, all you need is the arm or gun, which doesn't need as much hard checks for collision detection or clipping.

I am not saying this is impossible, but from what Nick has previously said, I think the developers would like to work on game content rather than implementing a new control and view mechanism when there is already one that works. I hope they release a mod editor though, because I'm sure the community would like to attempt it (I know I would; I seem to recall that this game is built on Unity, which is the game IDE I know.)

I hope they do at least add a mod editor, this game needs to be experienced by everyone :]
it would also greatly add to the longevity of the game
fortehluls
Chickadoo

Postby ChosenPredator » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:13 pm

you know even if the character model temporarily zoom out of third person to third person, that would probably help, the ability to pan the camera around your character, snap pictures with her waving and gesturing, just something to get that motion type of sickness to go away.
ChosenPredator
Rancher

Postby Nunn » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 pm

z0mbiesrock wrote:Since there is no official concept art yet, maybe using this fanart as a concept for the player model?:

Thing is. I don't think what you see on her arms is her skin. but just the sleeves of the suit. The upper arm section suddenly shifts in color. Making me doubt it's her skin.
Nunn
Rancher

Postby Rosewell8 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Nunn wrote:

Thing is. I don't think what you see on her arms is her skin. but just the sleeves of the suit. The upper arm section suddenly shifts in color. Making me doubt it's her skin.

I thought they were gloves.
I just call them Squishies. :3
Rosewell8
Chickadoo

Postby Nunn » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Rosewell8 wrote:I thought they were gloves.

That could be too. But we don't see enough to be able to get a good idea imo.
Nunn
Rancher

Return to General Discussion