How to- Slime Design 101

Share your original Slimepedia entries

How to- Slime Design 101

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Improving your Slime Design will be easy. Though it will garner hate now, following these tips will result in a much better experience with haters.

1. Body
The body should just be a simplistic blob with whatever features you need on it (minus limbs), and mainly monotone with simple designs.
2. Art
Use Paint.net or, if you really don't want to download anything Paint is fine. Make the outline the same color as the base, and try to use simple expressions and features. Under-development is bad, over-development is worse.
3. Gimmicks
Now we get to the meat. A slime should have one or two distinctive features. It should also have specific behaviors (i.e a Boom Slime wanting to explode, a Phosphor slime flying, a Mosaic slime producing glints, etc...) One of these behaviors should be destructive, either being indirect (agitating slimes) or direct (hurting you). If you want your slime to not be overpowered, make these behaviors only happen when the slime is ticked-off.
4. Slimeology
A slime should have good use for its plorts, and a good bit of description. It should also list its rareness, favorite food, and location.
5. DIY
Your slime's favorite food can be made by yourself as a fan-design (AND SHOULD), but it's okay if you add your slime to an existing area, or make a entirely new one.
6. Checks and balances
If your slime scares Tarr, then make it rare and its plorts valuable (75-160 newbucks). If it's rare, make it's plorts valuable. Here are some price guidelines as well as an example slime for each one:
Very Common: (10-20), Pink Slimes
Common: (20-50), Rock Slimes
Semi-common: (45-90), Honey Slimes
Uncommon: (60-125), Quantum Slimes
Valuable: (75-160), Dervish Slimes
Rare: (200-600), Gold Slimes
7. ETC.
The natural predator of a slime is the Tarr, and as such, no slime should have abilities that kill, harm, or otherwise hurt the Tarr (scaring it is fine). The favorite food of your slime should not be another slime's favorite food, Pogofruit, Carrot, or Hen Hen. For clarity, it's best to put slime entries in Slimepedia form:

Slime Name:

(joke, pun)

Diet:

Favorite food:

Slimeology:

Rancher Risks:

Plortonomics:

8: Wrapping it all up:
When everything is done and well, proofread, preview, and post! Ask for constructive criticism. Don't forget to put your slime's abilities!
Hope this helps.
Last edited by tyrantlemon55 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Re: How to- Slime Design 101

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:27 am

Good work!

Just wanted to add a bit.

The carrot, plain hen-hen and pogofruit are built to be widespread and universal items that SHOULD NOT be favourites. Ever.

-TGH
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I have added it.
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby Relentless » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 pm

tyrantlemon55 wrote:Improving your Slime Design will be easy. Though it will garner hate now, following these tips will result in a much better experience with haters.

1. Body
The body should just be a simplistic blob with whatever features you need on it (minus limbs), and mainly monotone with simple designs.
2. Art
Use Paint.net or, if you really don't want to download anything Paint is fine. Make the outline the same color as the base, and try to use simple expressions and features. Under-development is bad, over-development is worse.
3. Gimmicks
Now we get to the meat. A slime should have one or two distinctive features. It should also have specific behaviors (i.e a Boom Slime wanting to explode, a Phosphor slime flying, a Mosaic slime producing glints, etc...) One of these behaviors should be destructive, either being indirect (agitating slimes) or direct (hurting you). If you want your slime to not be overpowered, make these behaviors only happen when the slime is ticked-off.
4. Slimeology
A slime should have good use for its plorts, and a good bit of description. It should also list its rareness, favorite food, and location.
5. DIY
Your slime's favorite food can be made by yourself as a fan-design (AND SHOULD), but it's okay if you add your slime to an existing area, or make a entirely new one.
6. Checks and balances
If your slime scares Tarr, then make it rare and its plorts valuable (75-160 newbucks). If it's rare, make it's plorts valuable. Here are some price guidelines as well as an example slime for each one:
Very Common: (10-20), Pink Slimes
Common: (20-50), Rock Slimes
Semi-common: (45-90), Honey Slimes
Uncommon: (60-125), Quantum Slimes
Valuable: (75-160), Dervish Slimes
Rare: (200-600), Gold Slimes
7. ETC.
The natural predator of a slime is the Tarr, and as such, no slime should have abilities that kill, harm, or otherwise hurt the Tarr (scaring it is fine). The favorite food of your slime should not be another slime's favorite food, Pogofruit, Carrot, or Hen Hen. For clarity, it's best to put slime entries in Slimepedia form:

Slime Name:

(joke, pun)

Diet:

Favorite food:

Slimeology:

Rancher Risks:

Plortonomics:

8: Wrapping it all up:
When everything is done and well, proofread, preview, and post! Ask for constructive criticism. Don't forget to put your slime's abilities!
Hope this helps.

Expect me to create lots of ideas. Thanks for the tip!
The world's first unlicensed Slime Rancher community ideas writer. I display this title proudly - in front of my slimes.
Xbox One Gamertag: Omega1849

Look! An invite to the Slime Rancher Discord: https://discord.gg/bA3vArm
Relentless
Rancher

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:09 am

This is very good advice! I myself have used this for my Mountain Slime, and my friend has also used this too for his Sun Slime!
P.S.
He is Interesting.
InterestingKookadoba
P.P.S. His comment is under mine.
Last edited by GoldenLucky99 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Postby InterestingKookadoba » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks Tyrontle. This really helped me with the slimepedia thing.
Last edited by InterestingKookadoba on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
InterestingKookadoba wrote:I once went to the toilet. Lets go!
InterestingKookadoba
Rancher

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Let's add on more stuff for the new year!

II: Artwork basics
I'm no artist, but I (and many other ranchers on these fine forums) can create good art just by following these simple rules.

1. Color (or colour, for all you Brits out there)
Some colors just work together well. Two colors on the same visual range (say, sky blue and ultramarine) work very well for just about anything. For slimes, lighter tones or pastel colors make a difference, for those light colors create a cutesy feel to the creature. Two clashing colors (blue and orange) don't work well together, unless the slime is meant to be flashy (like a firework slime or a motley slime), or if both colors are used only as a detail (the spikes on crystal slimes).

2. Shape
Most slimes have the basic shape of a jelly ball put under a bit of pressure (round at the top, wide and somewhat flat near bottom). They have rounded edges, and their features pop from their body.

3. Features
A slime should have distinct features upon its body to help distinguish it from other slimes (the flower upon a tangle slime's head, a rock slime's rocky crown, and a pink slime's, well pinkness). A horn, some eyebrows, bigger eyes, or even the shape will help differentiate the slime from others.

4. Simplicity
As I said in part 1, under-development is bad, over-development is worse. Take the example of the pink slime. It has no defining features. It's just pink. And yet it's the most recognizable out of all the slimes. Three examples:
Green slime, with a shell atop its back.
The absence of many features is what lets the slimes in this game truly be recognizable. Having only one thing going for it is what makes the design of slimes good.
Purple slime with blue dragon wings, one eye and a strange aura surrounding it.
You're toeing the line, buddy. A lot of those features have been borrowed from other slimes (wings and aura, to be exact).
Red slime with eyebrows, nose, arms with every finger visible, dragon wings, a skull hat, chains, scythe, aura of blood, and only one, bloodshot eye.
TOO FAR THE EDGE OWIE OWIE OVERLOADED WITH TOO MUCH DETAIL

.....Ahem.

5: Putting it all together.

By now you should have a concept for a slime. That's good. Now pull out your favorite drawing software (or pencil and paper, then scan it), and draw! It's okay if it looks like this:

https://imgur.com/nakXJgD

All that matters is that the design is aesthetically pleasing. Oh, and don't do a tyrantlemon and forget a light outline. I goofed up.
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby Valeritan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 am

Nice, definitely gonna use this
I draw stuff and stuff.
Valeritan
Rancher

Postby GlaciumFracture » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 am

Thanks man, got me the push to finally go and make my area design/slime design/slime science things/solution to the fireboi problem, may take a bit though, and again, thank you.
We always need more crystal slimes. ALWAYS.
GlaciumFracture
Rancher

Return to Slime Design