How come people don't get the Painted Desert reference?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

How come people don't get the Painted Desert reference?

Postby CoasterMan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm

The PAINTED Hen is exclusively found in the glass DESERT and there is a place called the PAINTED DESERT! Do you see the similarities in the names? The reference is SO OBVIOUS that I noticed it the second I saw the name! Do you get the reference now?
CoasterMan
Rancher

Re: How come people don't get the Painted Desert reference?

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 pm

ok.
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

To be fair I didn't get the Phase Lemon reference until recently.

>An author and Professor Emeritus Don S. Lemons studies plasma physics and has authored multiple books related to the various fields in science
>plasma is a state of matter
>states of matter are called phases
>changing between gas, liquid, solid or plasma is called phase transitioning
>you turn a lemon solid by shooting trees in the Ruins with fruit

Phase Lemons.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm

That's a lot of references. Also the Prickle Pear is for the Prickly Pear, which exsists in real life.
Last edited by GoldenLucky99 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Postby GravityCat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:05 am

GoldenLucky99 wrote:That's a lot of references. Also the Prickle Pear is for the Prickly Pear, which exits in real life.

Prickly Pear is a cactus.

Heart Beet is a beetroot shaped like a heart. Name is a pun on "heartbeat".

Silver Parsnip is a literal silver parsnip. Name is a pun on the Silver Palate cookbooks. Slimepedia Entry gave that one away.

Oca oca is based on a stem tuber with the colouration of a potato. Stem tubers and potatoes have a close history. I believe it may be based on Oxalis tuberosa.

Kookadoba, while I'm not sure about the name, the fruit is definitely a durian. The Mudballs and method of breaking them to produce 5 are based on walnuts. Which means Kookacrackers are nutcrackers.

Odd Onion is a tricky one to explain but it's an English language-based pun. "Odd" can be used to describe something that occurs occasionally. "I like to have the odd tipple now and then", means you like to drink alcohol occasionally. So the name and erratic growth patterns themselves are the pun.

There's one I've yet to find and that's the Pogofruit. (Carrot is easy enough, it's just a carrot)
Members of the wiki believe it's based on a pomegranate but I feel as if there's more to it than that. The only sliver of evidence I can find however is a fruit referred to as a "Pogo Fruit" which is native to borneo, but can only find one mention and image of it on this site. Everywhere else goes right back to Slime Rancher, or an actual pogo as in the thing you jump with.

I'm starting to thing Pogos don't have a single inspiration source, and may just be based on a number of exotic fruits that have a wide variety of different flavours, especially depending on how ripe it is, even tasting like more typical fruits like peaches (hence the Slimepedia Entry saying it tastes like peaches)
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby CoasterMan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am

I posted this because it wasn’t in the trivia section on the Painted Hen’s page on the Slime Rancher wiki.

They recently added the reference to the wiki.
CoasterMan
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

CoasterMan wrote:I posted this because it wasn’t in the trivia section on the Painted Hen’s page on the Slime Rancher wiki.

They recently added the reference to the wiki.

It was because of this post I added it, so thank you for that tidbit. I was completely unaware the Painted Desert even existed.

But in future if you wish to contribute any references you feel may be missing, then feel free to add them to the wiki yourself. You don't need to create a thread on these forums about missing references on the wiki.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Return to General Discussion