Future Update Ideas

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Future Update Ideas

Postby McKilligan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 pm

I've been playing for about a week, and surprised myself by how much I'm enjoying it! Farming simulators aren't my usual cup of tea, but this game oozes so much charm that it's very relaxing to just waste an hour or two on the far, far range. But now that I've reached the endgame content, there's a few rough edges that I've noticed that I'd like to make a suggestion for.

• Plort-sucking sucks. Once you unlock the 50 or 100 storage packs, you'll spend a majority of your time just facing a corral's plort-port and listening to the (admittedly very satisfying) vwoop-vwoop-vwoop sounds for what feels like a solid minute. It gets frustrating rather fast. I would really appreciate it if there was an upgrade you could purchase that would allow the Plort-Havesters to store plorts in 50 or 100 plort 'containers' that could be picked up in one go when full. The size of the container should be the same as your PREVIOUS upgrade (so, if you had the final 100 upgrade, you could collect containers of 50)
  • Free-Range Slimes Slime AI behavior is really cute, but once you've upgraded your corrals fully they don't do a whole lot except eat and plort. I'd love if there was a new area, like a wide open field or plain, where we'd be encouraged to raise free-range slimes. Perhaps different slimes hopping around an area could encourage different crops to have higher yields, or attract chickens, or beneficial AOE. Perhaps we could even have a device through the science lab that could innoculate Largo-slimes so that they wouldn't be affected by a specific plort, allowing us to have 2 types coexisting in the same area safely.
  • Slime Pen/Playground - High level upgrades to store slimes in - for example, instead of the typical cube-style corral, maybe a big floating 'gatchopon' style machine, or a series of pneumatic hamster tubes that the slimes could play in. If you incorporate the 'free range' idea, then what about a in-corral teleporter that connects the corral to a section of an open area - depending on the slimes AI, the would return to the corral at night, (or in the case of phosphor slimes, during the day).
  • Slime Rodeo- I want to ride a slime. Make this happen! Maybe the science lab could have something that enlarges 1 slime to a size suitable for riding - different slimes could even have different movement modes. Water Slimes could swim to far away islands, Fire Slimes could allow you to travel to extremely hot places, Saber Slimes can Jump extremely High, Dervish or Phosphor slimes could float or fly, and Quantum Slimes could teleport beyond obstacles.
Last edited by McKilligan on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
McKilligan
Plort

Re: Future Update Ideas

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Nice ideas. LOVE the artwork. Welcome to the fourms!
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby Noggy05 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:57 am

This is amazing.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby EmeraldPlay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:02 am

Nice ideas!
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Braincoke » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:17 am

I really like these ideas and the sweet artwork!
They could add something like the slime playground or slime storages for very late game, they could use the space behind the house which costs (a lot of) money, food, slimes and plorts to open.
Braincoke
Plort

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks for your ideas. I really appreciate the images too - it seems you've really thought about these and gone the extra mile. Here, have a seal of approval.
Beautiful.

Lets-a go!

McKilligan wrote:Plort-sucking sucks. Once you unlock the 50 or 100 storage packs, you'll spend a majority of your time just facing a corral's plort-port and listening to the (admittedly very satisfying) vwoop-vwoop-vwoop sounds for what feels like a solid minute. It gets frustrating rather fast. I would really appreciate it if there was an upgrade you could purchase that would allow the Plort-Havesters to store plorts in 50 or 100 plort 'containers' that could be picked up in one go when full. The size of the container should be the same as your PREVIOUS upgrade (so, if you had the final 100 upgrade, you could collect containers of 50)

Yeah, I agree. I have effectively no motivation to actually harvest anything... so I just don't.
This idea is a good solution and seems quite balanced. Well done.

Free-Range Slimes Slime AI behavior is really cute, but once you've upgraded your corrals fully they don't do a whole lot except eat and plort. I'd love if there was a new area, like a wide open field or plain, where we'd be encouraged to raise free-range slimes. Perhaps different slimes hopping around an area could encourage different crops to have higher yields, or attract chickens, or beneficial AOE. Perhaps we could even have a device through the science lab that could innoculate Largo-slimes so that they wouldn't be affected by a specific plort, allowing us to have 2 types coexisting in the same area safely.

Sounds good.

Slime Pen/Playground - High level upgrades to store slimes in - for example, instead of the typical cube-style corral, maybe a big floating 'gatchopon' style machine, or a series of pneumatic hamster tubes that the slimes could play in. If you incorporate the 'free range' idea, then what about a in-corral teleporter that connects the corral to a section of an open area - depending on the slimes AI, the would return to the corral at night, (or in the case of phosphor slimes, during the day).

This is perfect for treasure pods. Yas. Ver gud.

Slime Rodeo- I want to ride a slime. Make this happen! Maybe the science lab could have something that enlarges 1 slime to a size suitable for riding - different slimes could even have different movement modes. Water Slimes could swim to far away islands, Fire Slimes could allow you to travel to extremely hot places, Saber Slimes can Jump extremely High, Dervish or Phosphor slimes could float or fly, and Quantum Slimes could teleport beyond obstacles.

This would be fine if it was limited to the ranch, but this causes problems elsewhere. Obstacles are vital to the game, and the ability to bypass them would be gamebreaking.

Oh, and a quick note about Braincoke's suggestion.
Braincoke wrote:I really like these ideas and the sweet artwork!
They could add something like the slime playground or slime storages for very late game, they could use the space behind the house which costs (a lot of) money, food, slimes and plorts to open.

The space behind the house is meant to be a viewpoint to look out of. That's why it's purposefully unobstructed.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby McKilligan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 pm

TheGreciansHousehold wrote:
Slime Rodeo- I want to ride a slime. Make this happen! Maybe the science lab could have something that enlarges 1 slime to a size suitable for riding - different slimes could even have different movement modes. Water Slimes could swim to far away islands, Fire Slimes could allow you to travel to extremely hot places, Saber Slimes can Jump extremely High, Dervish or Phosphor slimes could float or fly, and Quantum Slimes could teleport beyond obstacles.

This would be fine if it was limited to the ranch, but this causes problems elsewhere. Obstacles are vital to the game, and the ability to bypass them would be gamebreaking.

I agree! Slime-Riding wouldn't fit most of the areas that are already in the game. (and besides, the jetpack is super-fast and useful anyway) But It WOULD be pretty cool if it were included with a new area designed around the mechanic. Since each major update seems like it will include a new zone to explore, maybe this might inspire the devs to try something waaaay down the line. Anyway, thanks for the feedback! Glad you like most of my ideas.
McKilligan
Plort

Postby GlaciumFracture » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Liking all of this, especially innoculating slimes, finally I will have my "tiered" (see plort market prices) free range and not have a tarr hazard. Though I wonder what glow the mosiac plort's innoculation will have, and if stuff like tabby slimes can "play" with innoculated plorts.

TheGreciansHousehold wrote:Thanks for your ideas. I really appreciate the images too - it seems you've really thought about these and gone the extra mile. Here, have a seal of approval.
Beautiful.

Also, for the record, that's a walrus, not a seal.
We always need more crystal slimes. ALWAYS.
GlaciumFracture
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 pm

Also, for the record, that's a walrus, not a seal.

Shhhhh.
He can be whatever he wants.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby Noggy05 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Here's a walrus of approval then
Attachments
Walrus of Approval.jpg
Walrus of Approval
Walrus of Approval.jpg (188.91 KiB) Viewed 13999 times
Lionmeow made my avatar!

I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Noggy05 wrote:Here's a walrus of approval then

Did you just
A S S U M E . T H E I R . S P E C I E S?
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby Noggy05 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:35 am

Did you just
A S S U M E . W H O . T H E Y . W A N T . T O . B E?
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Noggy05
Keeper

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm

I ' M T R I G G E R E D
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:57 am

tyrantlemon55 wrote:I ' M T R I G G E R E D

reportig to tamrbl
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby Dragonslime » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:26 pm

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The rare but elusive dragon slime

255 limit sucks
I am multitude of things
Rancher
Explorer deluxe
Half time terrarian
Half time inventor
Full time toa hero
1/4 book writer
Dragonslime
Rancher

Postby Zxyphor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am

Adding to (and editing) McKilligan's additions (Minus good art);

Plortable containers
  • When it comes to mass-selling/refining/moving of plorts/food/etc, I think a single 'plort container,' as an item, would be difficult to play around. If you have 49 or 99 plorts, you lose out on the functionality. Now, as an interact-able item, perhaps, that would be useful. Using the same physics and interaction as a largo slime on a "#1 slime" pedastal, where you can vac it and carry it, connect the container to a plort collector/item warp/silo, then pop it off, carry it to a new spot, and connect it to that. Maybe that's where those mythical drones would come in handy...?

More upgrades for Silos.
  • A 'sell all' or 'refine all' button on each silo port for easier transplortation of plorts, no more building a teleplorter just to save on a half minute of running.
  • Enhanced storage, where maybe up to 500 of each type can be stored in a silo? Maybe as a 7Zee reward?

More upgrades for incinerators/ponds
I get that puddle/fire slimes are supposed to be maintenance-heavy, but that kind of detracts from their usefulness, combined with their low output and sell price.
  • For barriers, some sort of globe, perhaps?
  • A plort collector would be kinda weird to have where there's such fluid or fluid-like substance nearby. Maybe a collection grate? Activate and it will lift up the plorts, but not the slimes.
  • For the pond, maybe a cosmetic upgrade through 7Zee that gives it a fountain. I like fountains. Slimes could like fountains, too.

Tweaks to corrals
  • Change the 'feed rate' to 'feed amount'. Since all largos eat twice a day, the rate doesn't really matter. Keeping in with the easy-logistics theme, maybe make it into steps of 5? Though that still leaves extra from the garden's 'deluxe' upgrade giving 23 instead of 15.
  • Let the plort collector collect food, too, and recycle it back into the auto-feeder.
  • Swirl button, to mix around any food to slimes that can't reach due to two or three largos who have already been fed lazily resting next to the pile shot from the feeder. or maybe that could be a feature of the plort collector instead, mixing the food around while the plorts get collected?
  • A happiness monitor. It's easy to tell when your slimes are well-fed, taken care of, and happy. it's not so easy when you're missing an aspect or two to get them to that point. (Case in point, I can never seem to keep my boom slimes happy enough to stop them from exploding constantly, shooting their plorts through the barrier and into another corral, and ruining my crystal-rocks AGAIN) Nothing too graph-like, maybe something like a smiley face that changes as they get happier/agitated.

Tweaks to largos
  • Some combos have models that clip through themselves, looks a bit wonk.

Gadgets
  • A wide-range plort-vac, for free range slimes. could be a corral alternative. Upgrades could include the inoculator, per design by McKilligan, extra storage slots for the multiple largo types that could be there, and a slime leash that would tether slimes shot at the middle of the plort-vac so they wouldn't run too far off.

Really long-term things that probably will never happen but hey maybe they might
  • Randomly-generated ranges visited via teleporter, or as a whole new mode. Adventure would stay the same, and then you'd have 'rancher' mode. Honestly I wrote a whole excel spreadsheet for this idea and decided 'maybe I should just... keep this to myself' because it sounded pretentious.
  • More slimes. Just... more. So many more.
  • Plort market affected by online play/online buy/sell of plorts. Could increase the cost of high-level slime science gadgets to balance the buy/sell. 7Zee could also need slime science resources to level up past the current cap, as either a prestige or as an online ranking system. Could also apply the Rancher mode to this, and make it so each range has unique slimes that it has, while it lacks others, creating the supply and demand of certain slimes/plorts/food/slime science resources. Most of this is to satisfy the multiplayer-wanting parts of the community, without having to commit too much to changing the game engine and physics.

I keep thinking of more stuff, so I'm gonna end it here. It's easy to brainstorm and think of neat stuff, but hard to execute and add it to the game. Lots of hype and energy, no payout. I'm not one of the game devs, or a game dev myself, and I'm honestly thinking of not posting this at all... but eh. Maybe it's not as pretentious as I think it sounds? Maybe it is.
Zxyphor
Plort

Postby SerriaPlays » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:30 pm

those are the best ideas, iv'e been wanting a safe place to free range my slimes because i'm a sucker for cute faces and just can't bear to see them all cooped up in the corrals! every time i try to free range them they just disappear and its sad because i got so attached to them.
SerriaPlays
Plort

Postby sensieslime » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:48 am

I love your artwork, and the ideas are amazing.

Free-ranging is hard in this game, so I love your field idea. I have loads of free-range phosphor honeys in the grotto, but they're a pain to deal with.
Thank you for reading!
Huge thanks to Sectanza for making my amazing avatar!
Go and give her cookies!!!
Want to see my slime ideas and their artwork? Go here!
Want to play an Evogame? Go here!
sensieslime
Keeper

Return to General Discussion