The game seems to think I'm not holding down keys to move

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

The game seems to think I'm not holding down keys to move

Postby melissapete24 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:36 am

I just recently started having issues with playing the game, and I've never had issues before, except on my other, considerably older, computer, which makes sense; it's too old to play Slime Rancher. It seems Slime Rancher doesn't realize that I'm holding a key down to move or hover, etc. For example, I will be walking, and then I'll stop after a few steps until I let off and then re-press the W key. At first, with as often as it sometimes happens, I thought my computer was lagging. However, I can't hover at all when this happens, and that's when I realized that the game thinks I'm not holding the key in. I can jump, but if I press and hold the spacebar, I still just jump, or I only hover for a very short time of about 1 or 2 seconds. I was having other issues with typing in other programs, but I completely deleted the driver for my keyboard and restarted my computer so it had to re-download and install the driver, and it has been working fine since then. However, Slime Rancher still doesn't work right for me. I can play sometimes without problems, but not for very long. It seems to be pretty random as to when the problem occurs, but once it does start happening, it usually doesn't stop. Can anyone offer any help? I know my laptop is getting older, but until this issue, I've never had a single problem with Slime Rancher.

HP Pavilion g7 2269-wm 2.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD A10 4600M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit
500 GB HDD, 385 GB free
I am using a USB keyboard, because the built-in keyboard is disconnected, as it no longer works. It is a Logitech keyboard with a built-in trackpad, model K400r; just an inexpensive one, but it has never given me any problems in all the time I've had it. I also use a Logitech USB mouse when I play games, and that has never given me any problems, either.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, as I am hopelessly addicted to this game, and I don't have the money for a new computer right now. This is probably my most favorite computer game, hands down.

I decided to try playing Minecraft, since the controls are the same for movement and flying, and it works just fine in Minecraft. So, any suggestions will be ENORMOUSLY appreciated.
melissapete24
Plort

Re: The game seems to think I'm not holding down keys to mov

Postby Noggy05 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Maybe you should try changing the controls?
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby melissapete24 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:12 pm

It knows *what* keys I'm pushing, it just doesn't seem to think I'm *holding* the keys in, just pressing and releasing. And I've nearly completed everything now; I'd rather not have to relearn controls to finish out the last few things I need to do yet. I'm sort of slow at learning controls as it is; I don't know why, though, I just always have been. Doesn't matter the game or the platform; I suck at learning controls. Lol. I'm not video-game-compatible.
melissapete24
Plort

Postby melissapete24 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 pm

I tried changing controls; no change. However, I started a new file just to see, and at first it seemed like everything was fine. And I was worried that somehow my save got corrupted. But then, the *moment* I bought an air net for a corral, it started again, and this new save is now pretty much unplayable. Does adding an air net use up that much processing power? Like i said, though, it doesn't seem to be lag, as if I try to hover, I can't at all; it's like it doesn't know I'm holding the keys down. I would think if it were lag, it would hover, it would just keep temporarily freezing while hovering. However, when this starts, I can't hover at all, or even walk.
melissapete24
Plort

Postby Noggy05 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 am

Sorry, not sure if I can help you there. Do you use Steam?
Lionmeow made my avatar!

I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby melissapete24 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Yes, I do. I have played Minecraft, and even Subnautica, since this issue started with Slime Rancher, and they have both worked fine. All three games I keep on the lowest possible graphics settings, as my poor old laptop is just too, well, old. I'm just really confused, as until just in these past few days I never had even a single problem with Slime Rancher. I would just play on my MacBook, but it's even older than my HP, and Slime Rancher constantly lags on it; it just can't handle it. I may have to just swear off of Slime Rancher until I am able to save up for a new computer. :(
melissapete24
Plort

Postby melissapete24 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:47 pm

One more update. It seems that as long as I use the arrow keys, I do not have this problem. I don't understand why. I've checked my keyboard settings, but I don't see anything that would affect this, especially since all my other games work fine. Also, I have noticed (although it may be unrelated) that if I quit the game when this problem starts, for a few minutes afterwards, I have difficulties with typing in general: letter pairs will be repeated. Example, if I type "this", it may actually type "ththis", and this happens very frequently. Could it somehow be screwing with my keyboard functions somehow? This only happens with Slime Rancher, so it seems to me as if Slime Rancher is somehow screwing up my keyboard during and after play. I am going to continue playing in the evenings when I'm free, in the hopes that either it corrects itself, or I notice other things that may be helpful to share. I am just absolutely baffled. I wanted to contact customer support, but I couldn't really find any way to do that. Maybe this new little tidbit of information will help. *shrugs*

ETA: I have completely removed the game and all its files and re-installed it, only copying over the actual save files from before. Tomorrow evening I will play some more, if I have time, and report back on whether or not anything has changed. *crosses fingers*
melissapete24
Plort

Postby melissapete24 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Update: So the game is definitely still doing it, and much more quickly this time. However, it does not seem to be affecting my typing at all anymore. I opened the task manager as soon as it started doing it really badly, especially when not even the arrow keys were working right anymore, and it looks like the game is really eating up my memory and my CPU. It had never done that before; I don't know why it has started all of a sudden. If you have any suggestions for how to stop it eating up my memory and CPU, I will be forever grateful.

Slime Rancher has these problems only while on the ranch. I spent well over an hour in the moss blanket and had no issues. As soon as I got back to the ranch, I had problems. I opened up the task manager, and Slime Rancher is using about 50% CPU and 1,200 MB of memory. Even for an older computer, 50% CPU and 1 GB of memory seems awfully high. I don't run any other programs when I play games, and I only have Windows 8, Google Chrome, Steam, and some games installed, and I have disabled all startup programs except Windows Defender, so not even Steam comes on at startup. Any suggestions, or did something recently change with the game in the last month?
melissapete24
Plort

Postby Noggy05 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 pm

I've heard that if you uninstall things on Steam it saves your progress. But I'm not entirely sure. Maybe you should try uninstalling and then reinstalling Slime Rancher.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Noggy05
Keeper

Postby melissapete24 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm

As stated in my previous post, I already did that. I made sure to delete absolutely everything but my saves, which I just temporarily moved to my documents folder. I knew the save files weren't corrupt, as it happened when I started a new one as well. I then emptied the recycle bin and did a disk clean and defragment, then redownloaded and installed Slime Rancher, and nothing changed, except the problem seemed to happen sooner this time. I tried playing Subnautica again last night (first time in quite a while), and I played it non-stop for 2 hours with no problems at all, not even lag more than 2 or 3 times, and the system requirements for it are greater than Slime Rancher by a decent amount. I should technically have no problems with playing Slime Rancher at all on a laptop with the specs mine has. Like I said, Slime Rancher itself is using 50% of my CPU, which seems rather high to me, especially for a game whose minimum requirements are Windows XP, 2.2 GHz dual core processor, and 4 GB RAM. In comparison, Subnautica's minimum requirements are Windows Vista SP2, 2.5 GHz quad core processor, 4 GB RAM, and Intel HD 4600 graphics or equivalent. Something isn't working right between my laptop and Slime Rancher, almost like there's some for miscommunication between the two or something.

I'm going to try completely removing the game again, but I'm also going to check the registry to make sure nothing is left behind in there, as sort of a last-ditch effort. If there is anything to remove there, I will remove it and then re-install once more, and see if there's any change. I will let you know what happens when I try that.
melissapete24
Plort

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Think that it might have something to do with the OS, or you might have too many slimes. Right now, you can still update to Windows 10.
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby melissapete24 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 am

I do not want to go to Windows 10. I actually had for a bit, but it really screwed with my laptop. I played the game on 8.1 before with no issues. Either way, I seemed to have fixed it by going the drastic route and doing a clean install of 8.1 on my laptop. Slime Rancher is once again playing perfectly, and I am a very happy farmer of slimes. ^_^ It wasn't too bad clean installing, though, as I only ever use my Windows laptops for games that I can't play on my Mac. I do *not* like Windows. lol My Mac is too old to run Slime Rancher, though. Haha. Thanks anyway, guys, for your attempts at help. At least I can once again happily ranch some slimes! :D
melissapete24
Plort

Postby melissapete24 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Actually, nope, it still happens. My Slime Rancher is practically unplayable. :( I give up. I guess I'll have to break down and buy a bluetooth mouse and play on my new MacBook. Darn. :( I'd rather have the big screen.... Oh, well. I tried.
melissapete24
Plort

Return to Technical Support