Ogden's Wild Update Discussion Thread

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Re: Ogden's Wild Update Discussion Thread

Postby Crafter1300 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 am

Randomtangle wrote:Oh. I'm excited for 1.6 two!

So am I buuuuut

TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK I'm done
Crafter Out (This was written 4 years ago but I'll keep it)
Crafter1300
Rancher

Postby GlaciumFracture » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 am

Randomtangle wrote:Oh. I'm excited for 1.6 two!

what I'm left wondering is what's so important for that specific patch note, do they make gingers farmable in 1.6.2? or what? what makes it so important you have to specifically state it's not 1.6.0, or 1.6.1 but 1.6.2, GIVE ME ANSWERS! really, I need to know.

this is all sarcasm based on a typo, by the way.
We always need more crystal slimes. ALWAYS.
GlaciumFracture
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:47 am

well like i said, it's all based on assumptions for future updates lol. and i'm not really planning for any specific largos, it's more that certain diets will go in certain corrals, and the food for certain corrals will be set up specifically to allow easy pathing through all the farms.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Randomtangle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 am

I meant too
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP!
BYE!

Are you still here?
This is tiny.
Randomtangle
Treefox

Postby LeolaniLiaMay » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:02 pm

PrismSlime wrote:well like i said, it's all based on assumptions for future updates lol. and i'm not really planning for any specific largos, it's more that certain diets will go in certain corrals, and the food for certain corrals will be set up specifically to allow easy pathing through all the farms.

Ahhhhh fair enough. I don't mind walking around too much, but for easier Ranch travel I have a teleporter near my grotto that pops me up between my Overgrowth and Docks. Everything else I walk xD It takes a minute, but with the upgrades from Ogden, I don't have to worry about ever running out of food... just running out of plort room .-.

I really hope the drones work enough for everything I'd need ^^;;; The scripting for them can't be easy by any means, but I think I'm going to confused the poor bots.
LeolaniLiaMay / N3V3RD13May

I just came out here to have fun AND HAVE SLIMES EVERYWHERE THIS IS HEAVEN <3
LeolaniLiaMay
Rancher

Postby Randomtangle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:41 pm

would the drones collect from plort collectors? Also, they said they were adorable. what could they look like?
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP!
BYE!

Are you still here?
This is tiny.
Randomtangle
Treefox

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:09 pm

v1.1.0d is now live and should resolve all teleporter bug crashes. Please mail support@monomipark.com if you are running v1.1.0d and still getting crashes when using teleporters.
Nick
Developer

Postby Randomtangle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Cool!
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP!
BYE!

Are you still here?
This is tiny.
Randomtangle
Treefox

Postby Naybob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 pm

I think they need more rewards... other than just three...

But.... THE WALRUSES ARE SO CUTE!
chIKEns?
Naybob
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Ok I've done a bit of testing on my own, and i REALLY think the upgrades from Ogden need to be toned down a bit. Either you have way too much food for the dispensers to dish out in a day and end up with overflow in 2 days tops, or you have so many slimes in a corral to eat all the excess food, that not all of them can even get to it. maybe if i took out the music boxes and slime toys? but then what's the point of having all these features if i can't use them? at this point i need more plots on my ranch not because i've run out of space for the slimes i have, but because i need so many more slimes just to eat all the food i have. i really hope the crashes people have been getting have been sorted out this time so some serious balancing can get worked on.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Randomtangle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:17 am

NO!!! Don't take out the slime toys! My "Hall Of Toys" would be ruined!
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP!
BYE!

Are you still here?
This is tiny.
Randomtangle
Treefox

Postby LeolaniLiaMay » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:10 am

PrismSlime wrote:Ok I've done a bit of testing on my own, and i REALLY think the upgrades from Ogden need to be toned down a bit. Either you have way too much food for the dispensers to dish out in a day and end up with overflow in 2 days tops, or you have so many slimes in a corral to eat all the excess food, that not all of them can even get to it. maybe if i took out the music boxes and slime toys? but then what's the point of having all these features if i can't use them? at this point i need more plots on my ranch not because i've run out of space for the slimes i have, but because i need so many more slimes just to eat all the food i have. i really hope the crashes people have been getting have been sorted out this time so some serious balancing can get worked on.

Honestly, I've been waiting a bit longer to collect so that some of it can spoil, and then incinerating or tossing the rest of the extra food. >< I love the add-ons, don't get me wrong, but you learn REALLY QUICKLY that having both on even just one garden is way more than the ranch can handle, and I have.... let's see.... well, over 100 slimes in corrals alone, plus my ~20 free ranched Hunter-Pink slimes (it's hard to get a count on them and sometimes they derp and jump into the sea). I might reshuffle my largo line-up to handle things better, but since you can only put one type of food in each dispenser, I don't think it would really help. (And before someone tells me "just don't grow so much;" I specifically grow one of every food (exception kinda being carrots cause I use the odd onion plot for that) so that I can fulfill Exchange requests.)
Last edited by LeolaniLiaMay on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeolaniLiaMay
Rancher

Postby LeolaniLiaMay » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 am

Randomtangle wrote:NO!!! Don't take out the slime toys! My "Hall Of Toys" would be ruined!

Not from the game, Random, from her own corrals.

LeolaniLiaMay
Rancher

Postby Randomtangle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:28 am

Oh, good. Thanks!
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP!
BYE!

Are you still here?
This is tiny.
Randomtangle
Treefox

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Ok so I thought it over a bit more today and, while I still think very much that the new upgrades need some serious balancing done, I've come up with 2 possible ways to handle all the excess food. I can either get rid of all of my silos and the plots in my retreat that I had intended for coops to get some extra food for my free-range hunters and have 2 of every slime type covered in largos with 1 field of crops being split across 2 corrals each; which would likely mess up my whole easy-pathing system and potentially even need more teleport pads that we aren't guaranteed to get- as well as pretty much all my warp depots in areas that I really don't have the spare build spots to place; OR- have a warp depot at each field of crops to send half of each harvest to my loads of pinks that will be in the retreat that will be able to eat all the excess food, have plenty of space for the warp depots, allow me to keep my silos full of 100 of each non-slime science resource, and not be dependent on any unconfirmed teleport pads. Though either one will be very difficult until the drones in 1.2 come out, I think I can still make it work...

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Randomtangle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 am

How did the system work?
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP!
BYE!

Are you still here?
This is tiny.
Randomtangle
Treefox

Postby PrismSlime » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:11 am

well enough to get all the food where it needs to be in one day, with plenty of time to spare, but shooting it in the corral manually obviously takes way longer than shooting it in an autofeeder but they only accept one thing at a time so nothing can really be done about that. and of course i still need the drones, but even 100 pinks might not be enough. but that's still clearing through all the food that built up while i was moving things around so it might be better once things stabilize a bit. i'm gonna be potentially watching a stream in like an hour though and then i gotta clean my place so i might not be able to continue until later in the day.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby GlaciumFracture » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 am

PrismSlime wrote:Ok so I thought it over a bit more today and, while I still think very much that the new upgrades need some serious balancing done, I've come up with 2 possible ways to handle all the excess food. I can either get rid of all of my silos and the plots in my retreat that I had intended for coops to get some extra food for my free-range hunters and have 2 of every slime type covered in largos with 1 field of crops being split across 2 corrals each; which would likely mess up my whole easy-pathing system and potentially even need more teleport pads that we aren't guaranteed to get- as well as pretty much all my warp depots in areas that I really don't have the spare build spots to place; OR- have a warp depot at each field of crops to send half of each harvest to my loads of pinks that will be in the retreat that will be able to eat all the excess food, have plenty of space for the warp depots, allow me to keep my silos full of 100 of each non-slime science resource, and not be dependent on any unconfirmed teleport pads. Though either one will be very difficult until the drones in 1.2 come out, I think I can still make it work...

I reccomend free ranging, you could have 10 slimes per farm before 1.1, but now it's been boosted to 14 per farm once you have the reward upgrades, this means you can get (by calculation) up to 460 plorts per day from the grotto and lab, 368 from the docks, a massive 736 per day from the main ranch and retreat, and around 480 from the overgrowth (but that's harder to calculate because of the fruit and veg patches, and chicken spawns), adding up to a total of 3240 plorts from a maxed out ranch going full free range.
GlaciumFracture
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:37 am

That's horribly inefficient. Not everything's about plort production. Plorts need to be produced at a steady rate so I can sell them all within a day. And if I free-ranged, there's certainly no way I could have one of every slime type covered. And 14 per corral may be enough to handle all the excess food, but I have a personal rule that if I can't keep my slimes happy, I can't keep them. Having that many leaves them little room to move around and makes it difficult for the hungry slimes to reach food on the ground with so many others in the way. Plus no matter what speed they're set to, the auto-feeders only ever shoot out 6 food at a time. So I can't have too many slimes or there'll always be at least one that's hungry. Maybe in casual mode if the drones could go and collect free-range plorts in a map? But otherwise I'd likely never free-range to that extent. I know that it doesn't matter if all slimes are happy, just that they produce plorts- but placing these limitations on myself makes it more fun to find efficient builds with every update to have the best balance I can of everything the game has to offer. And just in case I need to say this, this is in no way meant to be me trying to chew you out over how you want to raise your slimes verses my own methods, I just like to talk about my ranch and how to make things most efficient, and tend to ramble sometimes lol.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby LeolaniLiaMay » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Personally, with the exception of my Overgrowth, I have zero intention of free ranging outside of casual mode. I tried that some in the Grotto before but they can bounce their ways out of the tunnels (lost so many phosphor largos ;-;). I'm with PrismSlime --- if my slimes aren't happy and can't be fed, it's not really worth it, anyway. Granted, I have ~20-50 (the number's gone down for.... various reasons) Pink/Honeys in one corral, but all the others max out at seven. They just don't get fed enough to have anything more than that, and even then I have some (like my Dervish-Booms) that plort too much. My in-game days are basically:

>Hop into teleporter
>Collect all the fruit
>Hop back into teleporter
>Send fruit to corrals (Phosphor/Tabby, Quantum/Tangle, Honey/Pink)
>Shoot extra fruit where needed (usually incinerator) or dispose of (incinerator, slime sea, or somewhere off the ranch)
>Hop into teleporter
>Collect Heartbeats & OcaOcas
>Collect Silver Parsnips and throw into warp depot
>Collect all carrots & Harvest from Odd Onion garden
>Hop back through teleporter
>Send veggies to corrals (Phosphor/Crystal, Rad/Crystal, Rock/Crystal, Mosaic/Crystal, Boom/Rock)
>Harvest from prickle pear and coop
>Send where needed (Boom/Dervish, silos, whoever is still somehow hungry)
>Collect all the plorts everywhere and send to Refinery or Market)
>Lather, rinse, repeat
>Never, ever have time to collect free-ranched Hunter/Pink plorts;
>>If able to collect Hunter/Pink plorts, also collect the plain hehens; toss into Depot
>>Feed henhens to Boom/Rocks, as needed
>>Wander to the Retreat to check on Saber/Hunters (only two because WHY DID THE HUNTERS BECOME SO HARD TO FIND)
>>Stare in confusion that they waited long enough to eat their chickens that there are babies. Forget it and move on.
>>>Lather, Rinse, Repeat forever until you die or trust yourself to leave for a Day or whatever
>>>>Come back to chaos. Everyone has been eating too much. Plorts are turning corrals into ballpits. There's a random boom plort on the complete opposite side of the ranch and a dervish plort on the natural platform behind the Exchange.
>>>>Cry out in dismay
>>>>Collect and deposit plorts
>>>>>Repeat all into infinity

I repeat: I am going to confuse the poor Drones with everything I need them to do.

LeolaniLiaMay
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:36 pm

since i only have crops and a silo in my overgrowth, i do keep some free-range hunters there but just for the aesthetics and so they can be happier hunting. (not really ofc but ya know) currently have 3 extra plots in my retreat that i'm using for coops for extra pray for my hunters, or otherwise a full meat largo if i ever feel like it. with my current setup i can certainly keep up with crops and plorts, but with only enough time leftover to check my extractors. i still need more time for ginger runs.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby GlaciumFracture » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:09 pm

LeolaniLiaMay wrote:I repeat: I am going to confuse the poor Drones with everything I need them to do.

those poor, poor drones... anyway those things are going to be useful (by means of retreat later) so I can get a steady supply of pink plorts and a steady supply of funding from my puddle slimes in the docks, all 20 of them.
GlaciumFracture
Rancher

Postby LeolaniLiaMay » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:25 pm

I check my extractors maybe once an in-game week .-. I'm so swamped. And I STILL haven't even found one gilded ginger! Which isn't just bad from the Gold Slime standpoint but from the fact that it means I can't get the Slimepedia achievement!!! D:

I want drones so badly it hurts ;-; I wonder what they'll look like, too...

LeolaniLiaMay
Rancher

Postby Randomtangle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Found a ginger! Used it to make the doorman (gold gordo with stache)
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP!
BYE!

Are you still here?
This is tiny.
Randomtangle
Treefox

Postby kristenhopkins » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Hey!

Does anyone know what we use the key given to us for in this update?
kristenhopkins
Plort

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion