pre-empting the 2player threads?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

pre-empting the 2player threads?

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm

To avoid further asking about it, and everyone else screaming about the threads, would it be possible to have a filer of some sort that directs a person to the faq if it detects keywords like "multiplayer" in the first post of a thread? Perhaps not just deleting the whole thing straight away in case that's only a small part of their post; but more of "We noticed you are curious about future multiplayer compatibility for Slime Rancher. Before posting your thread, please read the FAQS (linked here) regarding this matter." Or otherwise just putting a shortened version of the answer in the generated message. Would something like this be possible? Or would it require too much messing with the code of the forum itself to be practical?
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Re: pre-empting the 2player threads?

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:35 pm

No, I'm afraid an automated redirect/filter/whatnot to the FAQ is not something this forum software can do. We'll need to rely on our trusty forum members to be friendly and helpful and provide links and/or answers which enlighten the newcomers around here.
Or, well, at least not be hostile. I count on you! :)
Maria
Admin

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 pm

well that sucks. maybe an automated pm could be sent out instead to new registered users? like:

"Welcome to the MonomiPark forums! We're sure you're eager to engage with everyone and tell us all your wonderful ideas for future content! But before you do, it may be helpful to read our FAQs (linked here). Great minds think alike; so if there's any general questions you might have about the development of your favorite slime raising, chicken-rolling, plort-collecting game, it may save you some time to take a quick peak. In particular, many of our faithful ranchers have been drawn to the idea of multiplayer compatibility. While we would love to have everyone able to share their worlds with friends, it's sadly not as easy as it sounds and will likely not be possible any time soon. Check the FAQ for a more in-depth answer to that, and many other questions on the more "techy" side of things. ~insert quirky send-off here~"

-or something to that effect? I just think it would save people a lot of trouble with all the newcomers that always ask about it, and everyone else that's slowly getting more and more irritated from people not knowing about it.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:55 pm

if that is a thing that can be done, feel free to use that as the message. :P

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Calydor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 pm

If people don't read a thread titled Frequently Asked Questions before making a suggestion, do you really think they'll read that private message?

I've been using game forums like this for going on 20 years, and this is one of those things that just never changes. People get an idea, and come to the conclusion that THEIR idea is new and unique and no one else has ever gotten it before, so they go straight to posting to share their wisdom.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm

well maybe not, but it certainly couldn't hurt. i know i'd be annoyed seeing a message notification enough to at least click on it to get rid of it and give it a quick skim. it could also just be a thing that pops up upon creating an account? not really sure how forum coding works. but i'm sure many people would be grateful to not have to tell someone for the umpteenth time about the faq.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Calydor » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:40 am

But why do you have to?

Don't get me wrong, I've been there. I've made my share of posts telling newbies to read the FAQ, to use the search function, to check the wiki.

But why? If it is important to you to answer, then keep the FAQ bookmarked and either link directly to it (I notice no one does that, just tells the newbies to go read it) or copy out the appropriate section as your reply. All you're doing is coming across as holier-than-thou and chasing new players away.

Slime Rancher, of all the games I've played in my years, is one of the most relaxed and casual games ever. Don't give people the impression that the community around it are more elitist than WoW PVPers and CoD players.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:17 am

well i tried to make that sample text as friendly as i could. i'm just personally more bugged by people getting angry at others for not reading the faq, than the people actually asking about multiplayer at this point.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Crafter1300 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 am

Yeah it is kind of annoying when people ask about multiplayer.
I did ask about it though cause I forgot to read the FAQ and everyone gave me grief for it. Although I just say "They say about multiplayer in the FAQ"
How simple.
Crafter Out (This was written 4 years ago but I'll keep it)
Crafter1300
Rancher

Return to General Discussion