Introducing the Travertine Springs!

A place to show the Monomi Park community your fan art and other creations

Introducing the Travertine Springs!

Postby GuzmaIsNotHere » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Not as sweet as cotton candy.

The Travertine Springs is a fanmade area made by yours truly, and it is a quite peculiar place that is housing slimes that aren't any less peculiar.
It is an island far away from the Indigo Quarry that can only be accessed by popping the Strange Diamond Gordo(I'll explain it later). This particular gordo, unlike all other gordo slimes, can appear anywhere in the Quarry and its location changes in every save file, and thus it's difficult to find. After being popped, it'll break down into a bunch of Strange Diamond Slimes(again, I'll explain those later)that will reveal a teleporter to the island. The island is enormous, being home for lots of different types of slimes, some of them being endemic to the island.

The Travertine Springs(Slimepedia Entry)

The Travertine Springs is a truly strange place compared to the rest of the Far, Far Range. It is known for its white cotton-like terraces filled with pools of mineral-rich water which makes it look like one huge cotton castle.
This area has only a few signs of people ever being here, all of them being very indistinct. Most of the slimes here are not used to seeing any living beings other than slimes themselves, and therefore flee upon seeing a rancher. What makes it even weirder is its sudden jumps in time, which can be confusing for ranchers who wish to visit it. However, slimes are not strongly affected by these jumps, and the only problem for them is the sudden lack of food that was lying on the ground moments ago, but then suddenly got back to its earlier state.
One theory suggests that the jumps in time occur due to a huge concentration of time-bending minerals underneath the island, but that is too absurd to be true, right?

Now, let's get to critters that inhabit this zone - the slimes!
We'll start off with the Kumiho Slime.
The Kumiho Slime is an insidious slime that feasts on meat, slimes, and even ranchers! It loves to play tricks on slimes, but won't hesitate to do the same to you. Unfortunately, its tricks are quite brutal and can cause chaos and destruction on your ranch if you're not careful. The Kumiho Slime is very intelligent and knows a lot about the Far, Far Range, and your ranch is no exception. If it's spotted, it will disguise as one of slimes on your ranch, but will still keep some features such as fox-like face, ears or tails. After being brought to the ranch by a naive rancher, it will wait until the person leaves the place, only for the Kumiho Slime to start eating slimes. If you(the rancher)come back and notice the mess that has happened, the Kumiho Slime will pretend to be in awe, before knocking you out and stealing all of your Hens(if you have any).

Even though the Kumiho Slime seems too unruly to keep, it is possible to tame it and make it a calm and wise companion. The Kumiho Slime will calm down for a while once fed its favorite food - the Hemo Hen. While calm, the Kumiho Slime will wander on your Ranch. It will refuse to eat plorts and will pay a visit to your slimes. It will try to "communicate" with them, and this conversation has 50% chance to either reduce agitation of your slimes or agitate them even more, since Kumiho Slimes have lots of things to tell but not all of them are interesting for other slimes.

Kumiho Slime's plorts, or simply Kumiho Plorts are valued by scientists and, strangely enough, meditators. The reason why Kumiho Plorts are valuable is because they seem to hold a Kumiho Slime's knowledge, and the plorts can be extracted in order to get the Kumiho Essence. Any person that consumes the essence will have the slime's knowledge for a few hours, but sometimes this knowledge is a bit too much to handle.

Moving on, let's meet the Aragonite Slime!
It is a generally docile slime that has lots of similarities with the Rock Slime. It rolls around just like the Rock Slime, it has spikes just like the Rock Slime, but its unique feature is its alternate form, the Calcite Slime. The Aragonite Slime needs to be in a pretty warm environment in order to stay stable(and that's why it can be put in an ash trough just like Fire Slimes), but if it wasn't warm for a while, it will turn into the Calcite Slime. It's much more stable than the Aragonite Slime, but its plorts are less valuable due to how common they are. The Aragonite Slime is very common in ponds of the Travertine Springs due to their temperature, but Calcite Slimes are nonentheless more abundant.
The Aragonite Slime has a diet of Veggies, and its favorite food depends on its current form. Aragonite Slimes' favorite is the Aquaparagus, while Calcite Slime's favorite is the Alkaleek. Both veggies are relatively easy to find, however your garden needs the "Water Sprinkler" upgrade in order to grow Aquaparagus, since it is a water-dependant veggie. The Alkaleek however is less needy, and doesn't require any upgrades on your garden to be grown efficiently.

And, let's talk about the Umbrella Slime.
The Umbrella Slime is a weird slime, to say the least. Its behavior is very strange, as it often bumps into walls and other obstacles without even noticing. It eats literally everything - food, plorts(including its own), and even resources! It also tries to find the fastest way to the Slime Sea and jumps in it immediately. If it doesn't see any quick paths to the Slime Sea, it rushes to the nearest pond. This strange behavior is what made Umbrella Slimes pretty common on this island, but the thing is - they're actually Pink Slimes that were infected with the Umbrella Parasite that thrives in ponds of Travertine Springs. The Umbrella Parasite is what presumably causes the Umbrella Slime to behave so unnaturally. The parasite affects Pink Slimes and Pink Slimes only, and goes away once its host turns into a Largo.
The Umbrella Slime doesn't produce plorts, since the food actually goes to the parasite and not the slime, and, well, the parasite simply can't produce plorts! The parasite can be transmitted by its host by simply making contact with other Pink Slimes.

And now, it's the final slime for this area - the Strange Diamond Slime.
The thing is, the Strange Diamond Slime isn't actually endemic to the Travertine Springs(unlike all of slimes I listed before), and can appear anywhere on the Range. It is very rare, but it is due to its behavior. Strange Diamond Slimes are very rebellious slimes that will attempt to get out of corrals, refuse to eat food, attack slimes, and fight off Tarr. Unfortunately the Strange Diamond Slime fails miserably with the last thing mentioned, as it quite often gets eaten by the Tarr or realises how awful its decision was and teleports away. Oh, and about teleportation - yes, it CAN teleport. It is capable of teleporting to areas it has seen in a certain amount of time, even if these areas are very far away. It means that it will quite easily get out of its corral back to freedom, if you're not careful. Unfortunately this is unpreventable, but the chance of it happening can be reduced by turning this slime into a Largo, because, for unknown reasons, Strange Diamond Largos are docile.
Just like the Royal Jelly Slime that I showed in my "Taking Slime Requests" post, it can be made by fusing now Crystal Slime Essence and a Strange Diamond.
Its plorts are very valuable due to them being very similar to Strange Diamonds in structure and properties, and are also used for Warp Tech. They can also be cut and used in special jewelry that lets the wearer teleport anywhere for a day.

Do the Travertine Springs have food exclusive to itself? Yep, of course.
They are the aforementioned Hemo Hen, Aquaparagus, and Alkaleek.
Let's start off with the Hemo Hen. It is a burgundy variation of the regular Hen Hen with a big light yellow stripe going across its back, which resembles the falciform ligament of a liver. It acts and behaves just like all other Hen Hens and is a favorite of the Kumiho Slime.
The Aquaparagus is a veggie and a favorite of the Aragonite Slime, and unlike all other veggies, it grows underwater. It's also why your garden has to have the "Water Sprinkler" upgrade in order to grow Aquaparagus, as it somewhat simulates the environment the Aquaparagus naturally grows in.
Now, the Alkaleek. It is a common veggie endemic to the Travertine Springs. It is the favorite of the Calcite Slime, and unlike any veggie, its crops always produce the same amount of food, it doesn't matter which upgrades it has.

Now, here's a list of all slimes that can appear in the Travertine Springs:
Pink Slime(Common)
Rock Slime(Common)
Phosphor Slime(Common)
Puddle Slime(Uncommon)
Crystal Slime(Uncommon)
Tabby Slime(Rare)
Hunter Slime(Rare)
Gold Slime(Rare)
Lucky Slime(Rare)
Strange Diamond Slime(Rare)
Aragonite/Calcite Slime(Common, endemic)
Umbrella Slime(Common, endemic)
Kumiho Slime(Rare, endemic)

Aaaand here's a list of foods that appear in the Travertine Springs:
Carrot(Common)
Aquaparagus(Common, endemic)
Alkaleek(Common, endemic)
Pogofruit(Uncommon)
Hen Hen(Common)
Chickadoo(Common)
Stony Hen(Common)
Stony Chickadoo(Common)
Hemo Hen(Common, endemic)
Hemo Chickadoo(Common, endemic)

That's it! I'd like to hear your thoughts on my first fanmade area. I tried to make it fit with the original Slime Rancher but I'm pretty sure some parts of it are quite farfetched *cough cough* UMBRELLA SLIME *cough*
(Also I'm very lazy so I'll add pictures of the area and the Aragonite Slime later.)
c h e e s e s n a c k
GuzmaIsNotHere
Chickadoo

Re: Introducing the Travertine Springs!

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 am

Great ideas! I appreciate the effort you put into this.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby GuzmaIsNotHere » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:32 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:Great ideas! I appreciate the effort you put into this.

Thank you! I still will make changes on this thing to make it fit the SR universe better.
c h e e s e s n a c k
GuzmaIsNotHere
Chickadoo

Postby SlimeingSlimer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 pm

What about the umbrella slime parasite flapping the umbrella causing the slime to float.
Be bold
Be brave
And of course
Above all
Stay wiggly
SlimeingSlimer
Chickadoo

Postby GuzmaIsNotHere » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:34 am

SlimeingSlimer wrote:What about the umbrella slime parasite flapping the umbrella causing the slime to float.

Ooo, I like this idea! Thank you.
c h e e s e s n a c k
GuzmaIsNotHere
Chickadoo

Postby DinosaurSlime » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:51 am

I personally think the Kumiho Slime is a little too overpowered, I think we should just stick to the thing about only Tarr eating ranchers and slimes, I still like the other ideas, but it kind of just feels like a more powerful Tarr.
Quantum Slimes are a pain.......

My Map/Slime Ideas
DinosaurSlime
Rancher

Postby crystal » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:31 pm

hOLy frick that's actually super cool-
idk about the kumiho slime or whatever it was called though, sure the idea sounds really cool but i can imagine it being super frustrating in the game. just my opinion though!
crystal
he/him
drawn to life and slime rancher fan!
avatar by tapu-finis on deviantart (aka my boyfriend <3)
crystal
Plort

Postby crystal » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:32 pm

DinosaurSlime wrote:I personally think the Kumiho Slime is a little too overpowered, I think we should just stick to the thing about only Tarr eating ranchers and slimes, I still like the other ideas, but it kind of just feels like a more powerful Tarr.

by the way i totally agree with this.
crystal
he/him
drawn to life and slime rancher fan!
avatar by tapu-finis on deviantart (aka my boyfriend <3)
crystal
Plort

Postby GuzmaIsNotHere » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:19 am

crystal wrote:
DinosaurSlime wrote:I personally think the Kumiho Slime is a little too overpowered, I think we should just stick to the thing about only Tarr eating ranchers and slimes, I still like the other ideas, but it kind of just feels like a more powerful Tarr.

by the way i totally agree with this.

I actually read these replies a lot of times and I thought about it and now I want to make some modifications to the Kumiho Slime. By the way, I absolutely agree with your statements.

1. It is no longer endemic to the Travertine Springs. It's still relatively common there compared to other zones on the Range.

2. It no longer attacks the player. Now it has a way more passive behavior: it will only fake bites and won't deal actual physical damage to the player, and it will pick up items on the ground and throw them into the Slime Sea, Incinerator or feed them to the slimes if they're edible.

Actually, the reason behind Kumiho Slime's previous abilities was because it was based off the actual Kumiho - a nine-tailed fox from Korean folklore that could transform into a woman that would trick people into loving her and then kill them and eat their livers(which is why Hemato Hen is supposed to look like a human liver). However I didn't really take the sheer OPness of the slime into account back then because I wanted to be close to the inspiration as possible while still having that cutesy Slime Rancher feel, and I guess I still screwed up. Thanks for your feedback though, it really made me rethink the general behavior and concept of the slime.
c h e e s e s n a c k
GuzmaIsNotHere
Chickadoo

Postby GuzmaIsNotHere » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 am

In fact, I want to make some major changes to the slimes that were featured in this thread and some of the details.
I kind of want to make this a fan-update. I'm not done listing the modifications yet, nor are they completely set in stone so please bear with me if there are any mistakes. I'd like more feedback on it.

1. The fan-update will add a new NPC to the game - Hellenn Midas. He's a merchant and a director of an underground company named after himself, who is very interested in lesser-known places in the Far, Far Range and other alien planets. Since the Travertine Springs and its inhabitants have practically never seen a human nor any human-related things before(even the 7Zee Corp doesn't know about it), Hellenn is very interested in it. He won't be trading through the standart Range Exchange, but will instead send a special exchanging machine(along with some other cool stuff)through 7Zee. The player can choose to either accept his offers or decline them - both decisions have their own impacts on the gameplay.
If the player chooses to accept his offers, they'll have to only trade with him during late evening and night; the reason behind this is that 7Zee does not want the player to be affiliated with other companies and corporations(ESPECIALLY underground ones)since it might start losing profit. If the player will trade with Hellenn during the day, morning, and early and middle evening, they will get caught and they'll have to either cut any relations with 7Zee or cut relations with the Midas Company. Cutting relations with 7Zee will result in being kicked out of the 7Zee Rewards Club(and loss of certain 7Zee Rewards such as Chroma Packs, the Slime Toys Machine, etc)and an negative relationship with not only 7Zee Corp., but also the NPCs from Trade Exchange(such as Mochi Miles, Ogden Ortiz, Viktor Humphries and so on). HOWEVERRRRR the player will get lots of cool stuff from the Midas Company, such as an exclusive Plort Market and Trade Exchange machines, new upgrades to the Ranch and the vacpack and other cool stuff that I either am too lazy to me list or that I simply haven't thought about yet.
If the player decides to cut relations with Midas Company, it'll result in removal of Midas Company-related things such as the Midas-exclusive Plort Market, Slime Toys and upgrades. The Midas Company will also send anonymous messages through Starmail, threatening the player by vengeance, destruction of the ranch and other horrible things. But luckily, these threats are nothing but bluffing, and the Company would not be able to do anything it might threaten.

2. Midas-related things such as the aforementioned Midas Plort Market and Trade Exchange machines will be in the fan-update. The Trade Exchange will also add some other new NPCs who you can trade with. I'll explain them later though.

I actually have a lot in mind about this 7Zee-Midas rivalry thing, so I might make some changes that will be related to it. Of course I'll make artwork for this fan-update and its features, but that will be later since I'm very busy because of school. Anyways, thank you if you read this entire thing. Please give feedback if possible.
c h e e s e s n a c k
GuzmaIsNotHere
Chickadoo

Postby Alexromeo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 pm

I really like this! Hope to see more about it!

I am actually work on an idea of a big update, that includes most of the world ideas I like in the forum! Can I use your idea? It is awesome! I'll credit the creators of these forum ideas of course!
For this, I am wating to see the 1.1.0 update, because my idea will alterate the story, and I need to know about Ogden Ortiz, and the way to getting to the wilds!
Sorry if I will change a little bit your idea in order to fit to mg idea!
Alexromeo
Rancher

Postby GuzmaIsNotHere » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Alexromeo wrote:I really like this! Hope to see more about it!

I am actually work on an idea of a big update, that includes most of the world ideas I like in the forum! Can I use your idea? It is awesome! I'll credit the creators of these forum ideas of course!

Of course you can use it! I am actually really glad that someone wants to use my ideas, so go ahead.
c h e e s e s n a c k
GuzmaIsNotHere
Chickadoo

Postby Alexromeo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Thank you!
Alexromeo
Rancher

Postby Alexromeo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:01 am

I want to say something about this world (my opinion):
1. The umbrella slime can't make plorts I don't think is a good idea because they are useless! I love the idea with the parasite! These slime would be the second tear of pink slimes: they eat everything, they can fly, they want to suicide, they will infect other pink slimes, they can make largos, and their plorts would be more valuables then the pink plorts!
2. The mildas company is the best idea I,ve ever seen! But I don't think it is good to make choices that will affect the gameplay! If the playes will choice to not join milda, they will lost all the benefits for the rest of the save file! If the players trade milda in the daytime they will lost all the 7zee rewards for the rest of the save file. It would be good, once you open the travertine springs, to receive anonymous mails, in which someone tell you that some vague things about you and the rivality with the 7zee! After some mails, that person Tell you what you can do to join the milda company: about a secret place in the travertine springs, where you can trade and receive rewards from milda! The following mails will no longer be annonymous, and they will be from milda!
Alexromeo
Rancher

Return to Creative