Little feature I think is necessary for any game

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Little feature I think is necessary for any game

Postby iiBlueAngel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:43 am

This is a very small thing, but it can be VERY annoying when a game does NOT include it, and it's simply the ability to adjust your HUD/screen borders.

I'm always disappointed when I notice the lack of this feature, especially in some AAA games, because often when it's not there, it's desperately needed. Obviously Slime Rancher isn't a massive AAA title and is at a very early point in it's life, I can forgive it not being there for now because the game itself is fun and unique, but this should be seriously considered! If someone's actual screen isn't the perfect default size, they're gonna need this, so that the HUD doesn't have to be pushing itself out off-screen they can have unhindered access to all the information provided in the HUD.

I don't think there's any reason not to have this in any game, it's just a quality thing to have, so I hope this gets seen and eventually added.
iiBlueAngel
Plort

Re: Little feature I think is necessary for any game

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 am

First note: SR is by far not triple A. It's a great game, but the budget isn't that huge.
Second: This is actually a device problem rather than a program problem. The HUD should be fine - could you provide an image and some more data?
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby iiBlueAngel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:24 am

I was just making a comment on games that DO have large budgets yet don't include HUD adjustment, even when it seems like such a small thing to have. Also I'm afraid I can't supply an image, but I am aware the issue is thanks to my own devices, though there's no PROBLEM with them, they function perfectly, the game just doesn't display the HUD properly on it, I can't do anything about it unless I were to go out and buy myself a new monitor or tv, perfectly compatible with Slime Rancher for a few hundred euros. That is the reason most games nowadays include HUD adjustment options, not every game can fully display all the information it has to offer on every screen without it, and it varies with each game how well the default HUD adapts to different screens.

For me personally it doesn't have an effect on SR's gameplay as a whole, though the HUD is being slightly pushed off the screen (For example, the "D" in "Day" on the top left corner isn't visible, it just says "ay x") and that's a pet peeve of mine, and probably many others too, but it can get bad for some people and it can make certain things on the HUD confusing to keep track of if it goes far enough off the edges of the screen.

As an example, in Shadow of Mordor, I haven't played it in a while, but last I remember, I couldn't see my health bar while playing and that did have an impact on gameplay for me, if they had a simple setting it wouldn't be an issue. Also in other games I played on older devices important HUD elements (health bars, mini maps etc.) also couldn't be seen, SoM is just the most recent example I've personally experienced where not having it in the game did have an effect, even though now I have much more up-to-date stuff for gaming.

When I made the original post I had literally just jumped onto the game after my friend recommended it and it was the first thing I noticed, after a few hours of play I realised that what I said sounded exaggerated, the things actually there on the HUD aren't completely vital, or at least I don't have to be too careful with my health for how far I've gotten, but I still think it's something that should be in the game at some point, whether or not it's the most urgent issue, it might actually be a problem for people who have screens worse than mine.

Maybe I just don't know anything about game development, but it can't be THAT hard to add for someone who knows what they're doing, and these devs have made a good game so far so I don't doubt they do. I don't expect it to come ASAP but somewhere down the line, it's a very nice option to have for people who don't own a monitor/tv that adapts well to some game HUDs by default, I don't know if that means the majority of people, but I would guess it isn't an insignificant number of them.

By now I've probably said more than I need to, it's just one thing that personally has gotten on my nerves a lot in any game I've played over the years, especially the ones that are harder to play because of it. Even though in SR it doesn't cause big issues for me and I don't have any reason to hate the game, I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have the option. I'm just trying to suggest a small improvement really, I'm sure the people behind the game have much bigger things to prioritise but I hope my feedback isn't completely insignificant.
iiBlueAngel
Plort

Postby SnailsAttack » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 am

iiBlueAngel wrote:I was just making a comment on games that DO have large budgets yet don't include HUD adjustment, even when it seems like such a small thing to have. Also I'm afraid I can't supply an image, but I am aware the issue is thanks to my own devices, though there's no PROBLEM with them, they function perfectly, the game just doesn't display the HUD properly on it, I can't do anything about it unless I were to go out and buy myself a new monitor or tv, perfectly compatible with Slime Rancher for a few hundred euros. That is the reason most games nowadays include HUD adjustment options, not every game can fully display all the information it has to offer on every screen without it, and it varies with each game how well the default HUD adapts to different screens.

For me personally it doesn't have an effect on SR's gameplay as a whole, though the HUD is being slightly pushed off the screen (For example, the "D" in "Day" on the top left corner isn't visible, it just says "ay x") and that's a pet peeve of mine, and probably many others too, but it can get bad for some people and it can make certain things on the HUD confusing to keep track of if it goes far enough off the edges of the screen.

As an example, in Shadow of Mordor, I haven't played it in a while, but last I remember, I couldn't see my health bar while playing and that did have an impact on gameplay for me, if they had a simple setting it wouldn't be an issue. Also in other games I played on older devices important HUD elements (health bars, mini maps etc.) also couldn't be seen, SoM is just the most recent example I've personally experienced where not having it in the game did have an effect, even though now I have much more up-to-date stuff for gaming.

When I made the original post I had literally just jumped onto the game after my friend recommended it and it was the first thing I noticed, after a few hours of play I realised that what I said sounded exaggerated, the things actually there on the HUD aren't completely vital, or at least I don't have to be too careful with my health for how far I've gotten, but I still think it's something that should be in the game at some point, whether or not it's the most urgent issue, it might actually be a problem for people who have screens worse than mine.

Maybe I just don't know anything about game development, but it can't be THAT hard to add for someone who knows what they're doing, and these devs have made a good game so far so I don't doubt they do. I don't expect it to come ASAP but somewhere down the line, it's a very nice option to have for people who don't own a monitor/tv that adapts well to some game HUDs by default, I don't know if that means the majority of people, but I would guess it isn't an insignificant number of them.

By now I've probably said more than I need to, it's just one thing that personally has gotten on my nerves a lot in any game I've played over the years, especially the ones that are harder to play because of it. Even though in SR it doesn't cause big issues for me and I don't have any reason to hate the game, I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have the option. I'm just trying to suggest a small improvement really, I'm sure the people behind the game have much bigger things to prioritise but I hope my feedback isn't completely insignificant.

can you just send us a screenshot of your game
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby iiBlueAngel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am

Oops I wrote too much I wanna die, I can't get a screenshot to put here, I'll go now
iiBlueAngel
Plort

Postby Calydor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

iiBlueAngel wrote:Oops I wrote too much I wanna die, I can't get a screenshot to put here, I'll go now

Okay, drama post aside, getting a screenshot is not hard. It's literally pressing Backslash (or whichever key you bind it to in Options), going to imgur.com (accounts are free), uploading it, then posting it here.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:11 am

Calydor wrote:
iiBlueAngel wrote:Oops I wrote too much I wanna die, I can't get a screenshot to put here, I'll go now

Okay, drama post aside, getting a screenshot is not hard. It's literally pressing Backslash (or whichever key you bind it to in Options), going to imgur.com (accounts are free), uploading it, then posting it here.

Thank you my minion
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:30 am

OK, I'll wade in...

BlueAngel, I sent you by PM a link to the free image posting site I use. (No account required, images can be set to a lifespan if desired, and you get a quick "remove this" link.)

The Screen Capture function in built into the game filters out all game interface stuff, so you only see the character's view. So, you have to use something like <alt><PrintScreen> to capture the image of the game window. Windows 10 also has a nice utility called Snipping Tool. (I'm not sure if it is in Win 7, but it is if you have Win 7 + Office. It is in Win 10 natively.)

I think that what you are talking about is the inventory on the bottom, the datestamp in the top-left, and the energy meters in the lower-left. I've also played games where things like this will slide down/left to move out of site. If you stand still for five seconds or hit a specific key, they slide back into frame.

Is that what you are asking?

I can understand why you would ask for that. I've known people who haaaaaate anything on the game window that is not pure gameplay.

Personally, I think it would be nice if that feature could be toggles on or off, as it would be nice if exploring a new region or searching for treasure pods. However, in the Ranch itself, it would be a huge pain as you are constantly switching inventory slots to feed, farm, and sell. Hence, and on/off switch.

My personal opinion is that I think it would be a nice feature to have, but in a future update where the Monomi Park will have time to plan it out and do proper development (good QA). If they held up 1.1 to add this, I would be rather annoyed, but if it could be rolled into 1.3 or 1.4 with minimal impact on release time, that would be good.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Return to General Discussion