(Suggestion) Item Compactor

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

(Suggestion) Item Compactor

Postby Aerolite08 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm sure someone's suggested something like this before, as many people are finding the game needs some faster means of accomplishing many ranch chores.

The roadmap suggests there will be drones to help automate more of the ranching process, but this could still be an addition to accompany it.

Item Compactor

An upgrade to your Vacpack that allows you to input/withdraw items in groupings of 10.

The Item Compactor could be a toggled function, bound to [Tab] or some other convenient key. When toggled on, a small icon appears near the player's health/energy bars as an indicator.

Availability

This upgrade would require the player to have obtained the 50-unit tank. It would be intended that most players would obtain the Item Compactor before they've picked up the 100-unit tank.

Technical

This function could present some issues when it comes to if/how compressed items are ejected into the wild. It's probably not much of an issue with plorts, just mash 10 together as a bigger mega-plort, but I'm unsure how your slimes would attempt to share a single larger chicken to eat.

The simplest solution might be to disallow that, making the Vacpack only able to eject items into a vac-port while the Item Compactor is toggled on.
Aerolite08
Plort

Re: (Suggestion) Item Compactor

Postby Twerps3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:48 am

What about a crate? Except a more modern version, with a picture of what's in it
Hi

- SECRET!
Twerps3
Rancher

Postby SnailsAttack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 am

This is a really good idea. It'd definitely solve the "spending 95% of my time vaccing up plorts and selling them/depositing them in the refinery" problem.

like you said though, there should be a button to toggle that ability. And similarly to what Twerps3 said, I think it should be a sort of digital hologram icon of the item, like fashion thingies, that explode into 10 of the item if they hit the ground.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby Twerps3 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 am

I would think the crates would look like the ones in the lab, it would look better in my opinion.
Because a fashion pod just wouldn't look right
Hi

- SECRET!
Twerps3
Rancher

Postby Aerolite08 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Crates, or some other kind of collected container, could certainly work if we wanted to allow these compacted items to be ejectable into the wild.

I'll welcome anything that helps reduce one's port-to-port vac'ing time dramatically. It just eats up so much of one's day.
Aerolite08
Plort

Return to General Discussion