Slime rancher not dangerous enough

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slime rancher not dangerous enough

Postby Tron » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 pm

I was playing the other day when I realized that there isn't much danger to the player at all. Sure you have the occassional tarr but it feels more like "uhh fine ill deal with it later" instead of a "oh no this is gonna kill me if I do not act fast" and the only time youyr ranch gets infested is when you stuff too many slimes or largos in a corral but that's a no brainer.. Theres also avoiding the slime sea and being cautious around boom, rock, crystal, and feral slimes but lets face it you got to intetionally hurt yourself so that it becomes life threatening. I think the game could use more danger not sure how but I know it can. Post your feedback down below. Thanks!
Heres a though you're reading this And of ALL the places to be in the universe of all the things to do in the universe AND of ALL the times you couldve Existed in the spacetime continuum youre reading this virtual block of text.Pretty amazing huh?
Tron
Rancher

Re: Slime rancher not dangerous enough

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:59 am

I believe that this is simply due to SR's incompleteness. I'm pretty sure it gets harder with each update.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby Azazel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 am

I feel that truly "dangerous" things, at least in that particular connotation, may be against this game's design philosophy. The "risks" present, I believe are meant to provide only the idea of danger without compromising relative safety.

A large fraction of this game's player base would likely be turned off if, say, Tarrs were more difficult to deal with. They pose a threat not just to the player but to slimes around, and if the Tarr can't be disposed easily these players would be unhappy having to see the slimes be terrorized.

That said, I personally believe this game would benefit from difficulty options. I don't ever see this game having options that would make it truly "hardcore", but I can see a number of ways the game can have more challenging aspects that the player could choose to enable. I personally play this game to relax and have a good time but a certain level of challenge would not change that for me.

My suggestions for extra challenge:
- More complicated and tricky Market dynamics
- Pay a "rescue fee" on getting knocked out
- Boom slime explosions can move the player (i.e. off a cliff)
- Tarrs will be more likely to target the player instead of slime
- Failing to go to sleep will impose a penalty to maximum energy and health
It's easy to forget but you're playing an early access game -> back up your save files!
Azazel
Chickadoo

Postby Tron » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:58 am

1. What do you mean by complicated market dynamics?
2. That sounds fair, paying a portion of you money when you die
3. That definetly adds more danger to the game
4. No comment
5.Nah I don't think that should be included since many people like to go exploring at night, duh phosphor slimes plus many people already abuse the sleeping privelege to fast foreward time
Heres a though you're reading this And of ALL the places to be in the universe of all the things to do in the universe AND of ALL the times you couldve Existed in the spacetime continuum youre reading this virtual block of text.Pretty amazing huh?
Tron
Rancher

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:39 pm

I would really not prefer this. Slime rancher is a game I go to when I want to relax, just chill and not have to worry so much. It's not a survival game, it's a ranching simulator with a twist. When you play Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon, are you afraid of dying all the time? No. Slime rancher is a game in the same vein as those. Major difficulty just wouldn't work.
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby SlimeRancherKay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 pm

I have to disagree in the sense that I really don't want the game to be made any harder, I find this game quite therapeutic and relaxing even though it's sorta fast paced. I play this game when I want a break from the other RPGs , strategy, and survival games I play, besides Slime Rancher just wouldn't be the same if they made it harder and more focused on dying and so forth. Trust me there's enough death and decay in the world as is. :/
SlimeRancherKay
Rancher

Postby Java » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:17 am

this game isn't meant to be too hard, it's calm and relaxing and immersive
java/tira, he/him pronouns, panro-ace demiboy.

be gay, drink cider, break boundaries

"Patto hikatte saita, hanabi o miteta,
Kitto mada owaranai natsu ga!"
Java
Rancher

Postby Freeasabird » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:16 am

Lets hope they add some kind of mod support, or at the very least make the game moddable in some way so these things can be changed. i agree whole heartedly, this game NEEDS more threats and danger to the rancher. add fall damage, tarrs grab you like they do with the slimes, and try to eat you = Game over?? you know stuff like that. other environmental dangers like actual lava in the crystal slime cave. dying in the glass desert from heatstroke or something. recover by splashing yourself with water. this game would be really cool if that was added.
Boom slimes, Rocks Slimes, No Pain No gain.
Freeasabird
Rancher

Postby Java » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:50 am

oh also
the problem with people saying they want it to be harder
is that when the devs actually make it harder
those same people will complain that it's too hard
i saw that happen earlier with some guy saying the tangles stealing plorts from nearby corrals was too hard to deal with
java/tira, he/him pronouns, panro-ace demiboy.

be gay, drink cider, break boundaries

"Patto hikatte saita, hanabi o miteta,
Kitto mada owaranai natsu ga!"
Java
Rancher

Postby GreatRancher » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:24 am

Azazel wrote:My suggestions for extra challenge:
- More complicated and tricky Market dynamics
- Pay a "rescue fee" on getting knocked out
- Boom slime explosions can move the player (i.e. off a cliff)
- Tarrs will be more likely to target the player instead of slime
- Failing to go to sleep will impose a penalty to maximum energy and health

1.It's all right like it is now.
2.Sounds a little bit unfair, but also does not.
3.That would be useless, knowing that in the Moss Blanket and Indigo Quarry(And in the small spots of the Glass Desert) they spawn in zones that are impossible to die if it isn't by a harmful slime, and even when it's possible, it would even be very difficult to get knocked out to the Slime Sea, also, that would suppose a problem to ranch them.
4.They actually do.
5.No
Hey, don't look down here!
There's NOTHING!Except...a signature
*sigh*
GreatRancher
Keeper

Location: Spain,I'm not from England or America or Ireland.I'm from Neptune and Mars too :)

Postby GreatRancher » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:42 am

This game IS hard because 5 facts:
1.Slimes start easy, but when you get to the Ruins, the madness starts, Quantum Slimes and Tangle Slimes are buff, and no exception with Dervish and Hunter(Well, that one is from Mushroom Island a.k.a. A Moss Blanket Area)...get one of this little guys mad and they will destroy all your crops and slimes or start exploding everything.
2.Even knowing farming slimes is easy, you can't get to The Ruins if you don't have a Jetpac with almost 150 or 200 Energy.
3.Gordos are difficult to pop at the start, when you play a lot, it's easy I know, but think of a beginner, it would be desorientated, confused, I remember having bad moments trying to pop the First Tabby Gordo on the 0.2.6.
4.Every zone and Mini-Zone has its dynamic. Every area of every zone is infected with more than 2 slimes(Except the first area on the game). Dry Reef is full with thin places making Tarr stressing at the beginning. Dry Beach(Dry Reef Beach) and Ring Island are frustrating without Jetpack. Moss Blanket is just messy and feels like a jungle just because if you aren't familiar with the place you'll get lost easily. Mushroom Island Path/Moustache Island(?) are just impossible without Jetpack and Spring Pads are useless on it. Indigo Quarry is very isolated and harmful if you are too risky. Ash Island and Cinder Grove will make you feel even more uncomfortable and lost than Moss Blanket because its small size. The Ruins are even more tricky with their glass walls and Glass Desert will make you lose your mind if you are too risky like with Indigo Quarry.
5.Because it is hard.
Hey, don't look down here!
There's NOTHING!Except...a signature
*sigh*
GreatRancher
Keeper

Location: Spain,I'm not from England or America or Ireland.I'm from Neptune and Mars too :)

Postby CoconutKeith » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:19 pm

I fully agree that slime rancher needs to be more difficult, but not in the main mode. I think slime rancher would benefit from a hardcore mode in which easy going happy slime rancher is forgotten, and players truly fear the tarr. It doesn't have in adventure mode, but an alternate mode, purely to give the players who have already played it multiple times a true challenge. Iron rancher mode seems like more of a time trial than a challenge.
I'm tired :D

-CoconutKeith
CoconutKeith
Rancher

Postby zm78 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:01 am

Well... vampiric chickens. Waaa... is added in SR 1.0.0 on iron rancher mode.
Those ears, That coin, That wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
zm78
Rancher

Postby Wonda » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:53 pm

zm78 wrote:Well... vampiric chickens. Waaa... is added in SR 1.0.0 on iron rancher mode.

Iron Rancher ain' out yet, though. You have to wait for 1.3.0 or so for it.

As for Vampiric Chickens... you do not want to deal with them.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby WOLRUS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:17 am

Hrm...This game is meant to be easy and relaxing. There are plenty of games you can also play if you want hard or danger.
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Return to General Discussion