[Slime Suggestion] Leafy/Wilty Slime

Share your original Slimepedia entries

[Slime Suggestion] Leafy/Wilty Slime

Postby Pigcatapult » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:40 am

((Again, not everything is properly prosey, but I'll put stuff in parentheses. Also, fair warning: some parts of this were inspired by my struggles with clinical depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder.))
((Full credit for Bad Things happening when you try to Largo slimes with mutually exclusive needs goes to Pyrotrap.))

Plort Starting Value: 30? (Leafy)/7 (Wilty)

Rarity: Uncommon, Leafy Slimes spawn in bright, flora-rich locations during the day. Leafy Slimes transform into Wilty Slimes in the dark. Wilty Slimes do not otherwise spawn, and turn back into Leafy Slimes when it's bright again.

Image / Image
Leafy Slime/Wilty Slime

Pun: Guaranteed to brighten your day./Things look dim for this slime.

Diet: Vegetables, Fruit
Favourite: [Something based on cabbage or lettuce, ideally.]

Slimeology: Leafy slimes love to frolic on sunny days, bouncing and rolling their days away and munching on unsuspecting [cabbages]. For a long time, slime scientists thought that Leafy Slimes gained extra nourishment through photosynthesis, but it is now known that its green pigment is a potent anti-depressant synthesized in the leaf-like appendage on its head. There isn't yet a consensus in the scientific community as to the exact process, but it's confirmed to require bright light. [Some stuff about it quickly depleting its supply in the dark, and turning into a Wilty Slime.]
/
Wilty Slimes are Leafy Slimes that have depleted their supply of green pigment, showing the brown coloration beneath. [some stuff about them being completely inconsolable in this state] [suggestion to get them back to a brightly-lit area] (this section should probably be shorter than the Leafy Slime entry)

Risks: (Leafy Slimes don't deal damage, but can push Beatrix if it playfully jumps into her.) (Leafy Slimes can't be kept in darkened areas without turning into Wilty Slimes), (Wilty Slimes have much less valuable plorts.) ([something horrible] automatically happens if you try to make a Largo with a Leafy/Wilty Slime and a light-sensitive slime like a Phosphor.)
[Wilty:] Luckily for enterprising ranchers, all they need is a sunbath to perk right up!

Plortonomics: Leafy plorts are milled, dried, and then pressed into blocks to make a tea substitute with antidepressant effects. It goes well with honey (plorts), but be careful about adding lemon: It can curdle.
/
Wilty plorts are very bitter, but can be processed into feed suitable for herbivorous insects. It has a small but steady market with zoos, farms, and hobbyists.
Last edited by Pigcatapult on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Re: [Slime Suggestion] Leafy/Wilty Slime

Postby Pyrotrap » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:[something horrible] automatically happens if you try to make a Largo with a Leafy/Wilty Slime and a light-sensitive slime like a Phosphor.

:O I wonder who thought of that idea
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Pyrotrap wrote:
Pigcatapult wrote:[something horrible] automatically happens if you try to make a Largo with a Leafy/Wilty Slime and a light-sensitive slime like a Phosphor.

... I honestly forget. I'll take it out and go track it down. Sorry.

Edit: I thought it was in the generic "Slime Suggestions" thread, but it's not.
Last edited by Pigcatapult on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Pyrotrap » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:
Pyrotrap wrote:

... I honestly forget. I'll take it out and go track it down. Sorry.

oh no it's fine. I'm glad to see part of my idea continuing even though my thread died down
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Oh! Oh, okay. I'm still really sorry. I'll give you credit at the top.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Leafy Slimes can still be kept in Solar Shields without turning into Wilty Slimes, right?
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:32 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:Leafy Slimes can still be kept in Solar Shields without turning into Wilty Slimes, right?

That wouldn't really make much sense. The Solar Shield blocks the sun. O:

(Also, the BBCode for Pyrotrap's profile at the top isn't quite finished, just wanted to point that out. :3)
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Elskah wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:Leafy Slimes can still be kept in Solar Shields without turning into Wilty Slimes, right?

As I've mentioned on her Deep Slime suggestion, upgrades shouldn't have negative effects on any slimes.

I'm thinking the Solar Shield is made particularly to block enough light to stop Phosphur Slimes from dying, but let enough through to keep Leafy Slimes from wilting.

Or maybe it could even be made even more useful by making it in fact allow Leafy Slimes to remain Leafy at nighttime too - Maybe blocking ALL light, and having a small and weak light inside which would allow Leafy and Phosphur slimes to remain inside with no changes, not affected by the lighting outside of the Corral.
Last edited by SpiralRancher02 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:44 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:As I've mentioned on his Deep Slime suggestion

I believe it's "her". c:

SpiralRancher02 wrote:Or maybe it could even be made even more useful by making it in fact allow Leafy Slimes to remain Leafy at nighttime too

Maybe the Solar Shield could be changed to a Solar Regulator kinda thing? So for Phosphur Slimes, it would block out sunlight during the day, but for Leafy Slimes it would turn on a sun lamp kinda thing at night. It would need to be able to detect what kind of slime was in the corral for that to happen, but I could see it working. :D
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Elskah wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:As I've mentioned on his Deep Slime suggestion

I believe it's "her". c:

derp.

Fixed
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:59 pm

Elksah wrote:
Maybe the Solar Shield could be changed to a Solar Regulator kinda thing? So for Phosphur Slimes, it would block out sunlight during the day, but for Leafy Slimes it would turn on a sun lamp kinda thing at night. It would need to be able to detect what kind of slime was in the corral for that to happen, but I could see it working. :D

I could see something like that, but If both Leafy and Phospurs were in the pen, then it would prioritize one or the other. I like having different mechanics like that. Its not like you'd have them mixed anyways or else [Something horrible happens]

Maybe you could turn on and off specific upgrades, to avoid things like this ?
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:13 pm

SerSquidd wrote:I could see something like that, but If both Leafy and Phospurs were in the pen, then it would prioritize one or the other.

The slimes would then give Plorts when fed, and they'd eat each-other's Plorts, resulting in [something horrible]. (Even if there's a Plort Collector, it doesn't work instantly. They would still have time to eat the Plorts and cause [something horrible].

It would be impossible to do that unless you're using Corrals as storage for them and not actually feeding them anything.

I think Phosphurs should be prioritized in that rare case, as Leafy Slimes don't die and just transform when in the dark - Phosphur Slimes would die.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Elskah wrote:(Also, the BBCode for Pyrotrap's profile at the top isn't quite finished, just wanted to point that out. :3)

(Whoops! *fixes*)

Elskah wrote:Maybe the Solar Shield could be changed to a Solar Regulator kinda thing? So for Phosphur Slimes, it would block out sunlight during the day, but for Leafy Slimes it would turn on a sun lamp kinda thing at night. It would need to be able to detect what kind of slime was in the corral for that to happen, but I could see it working. :D

Upgrading the Solar Shield to a Solar Regulator would work! These aren't the only sun-dependent slimes that have been suggested, so something would need to be done to address that conflict. But I don't think that just because there are sunlight-sensitive slimes in the game that should preclude sunlight-dependent slimes from being added.

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
SerSquidd wrote:I could see something like that, but If both Leafy and Phospurs were in the pen, then it would prioritize one or the other.

The slimes would then give Plorts when fed, and they'd eat each-other's Plorts, resulting in [something horrible]. (Even if there's a Plort Collector, it doesn't work instantly. They would still have time to eat the Plorts and cause [something horrible].

It would be impossible to do that unless you're using Corrals as storage for them and not actually feeding them anything.

I think Phosphurs should be prioritized in that rare case, as Leafy Slimes don't die and just transform when in the dark - Phosphur Slimes would die.

^I agree with all of this. Leafy slimes don't die in the dark, so keeping everything alive ought to be the priority.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Pyrotrap » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:34 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
Elskah wrote:

As I've mentioned on her Deep Slime suggestion, upgrades shouldn't have negative effects on any slimes.

I'm thinking the Solar Shield is made particularly to block enough light to stop Phosphur Slimes from dying, but let enough through to keep Leafy Slimes from wilting.

Or maybe it could even be made even more useful by making it in fact allow Leafy Slimes to remain Leafy at nighttime too - Maybe blocking ALL light, and having a small and weak light inside which would allow Leafy and Phosphur slimes to remain inside with no changes, not affected by the lighting outside of the Corral.

I think it's fine having certain upgrades have negative effects on certain slimes. For example say we had a lava slime and needed a magma pool. I would expect that it would harmful to other slimes, while trying to put the lava slime in the ponds for puddle slimes would cause them to die. It would also be perfectly reasonable has more content is added to the game to have toggleable upgrades like the Solar Shield for Phosphurs and any other slimes that need it, and possibly a Solar Lamp for Leafy Slimes and others. It would be counterintuitve to have both upgrades if you bought both you'd likely toggle between them. Having negative effects for certain slimes in certain upgrades adds an element of experimentation that I think the game could really use.
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:39 pm

I agree with Pyrotrap on this, but in the end what's best for one player might not be what's best for someone else. It's all based on opinion. O:
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:41 pm

So wait if you Largo with say, a Rock slime. Would the Leafy Rock turn into a Wilty Rock in the dark? D:
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:42 pm

SerSquidd wrote:So wait if you Largo with say, a Rock slime. Would the Leafy Rock turn into a Wilty Rock in the dark? D:

...Wilty Tabbies would break my heart. D':
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 pm

SerSquidd wrote:So wait if you Largo with say, a Rock slime. Would the Leafy Rock turn into a Wilty Rock in the dark? D:

Yep.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Pyrotrap » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Elskah wrote:

Better hand over the coin for the Solar Lamp upgrade ;)
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:26 pm

Pyrotrap wrote:
Elskah wrote:

Better hand over the coin for the Solar Lamp upgrade ;)

I wish I could upvote posts on this forum platform.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Pyrotrap » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:
I wish I could upvote posts on this forum platform.

I know I've tried to do it a couple times before realizing I can't
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Return to Slime Design