Why not let the vac-pack hold multiple stacks?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Why not let the vac-pack hold multiple stacks?

Postby NoticeMeGenki » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:15 am

I assume the vac-pac will receive anothe bigger-ing in a future update and the stack size of 50 is fine by me but why can't multiple slots carry the same item. For example when you have all your vac-pack slots empty and you wanna vac-up 100 chickadoos why can't you just carry two stacks of 50 and take up two slots? You'd have to give up a slot to carry two stacks so it would be balanced IMO.
NoticeMeGenki
Rancher

Re: Why not let the vac-pack hold multiple stacks?

Postby TurtleDuDe48 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:08 pm

NoticeMeGenki wrote:I assume the vac-pac will receive anothe bigger-ing in a future update and the stack size of 50 is fine by me but why can't multiple slots carry the same item. For example when you have all your vac-pack slots empty and you wanna vac-up 100 chickadoos why can't you just carry two stacks of 50 and take up two slots? You'd have to give up a slot to carry two stacks so it would be balanced IMO.

to be honest ive always had this question as well. but in my opinion i think its for making vacpack management harder.
all credit for drawing the Crystal slime belongs to Hachiseiko.

And remember kids. Stay in school and don't do drugs.

;)
TurtleDuDe48
Keeper

Postby Conrad500 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:21 am

So you think you should start off being able to hold 80 of an item just starting out? The reason behind it (as far as I can see) is pacing.

You shouldn't be able to start a game, suck up 80 pinks, throw them loose on your range, repeat it twice, suck up a bunch of food and feed them, and farm that way.

You CAN do that still, but it's not as easy. It's far better to promote optimization. You can spend a lot of time doing it the bad way (which hey, if that's how you like it, power to you) or you can actually think about a good way to do it.

Also, gordos wouldn't be an achievement at all. You can pop pink ones pretty easy starting off, but the others post more of a challenge and only being able to hold a limited amount of their food makes it harder.

Limiting the slots promotes "smarter" play and gives the game progression.

Once you're late game, 50 per slot is a lot! You've already gotten past the point where you need convincing to explore (hopefully) so now it's about convenience. Why do we need 100 henhens?

If you need food for slimes, that's why you optimize your ranch. Grow/raise the food near the slimes.

If you're trying to refine 100 plorts, make a refinery link.

If you're trying to sell 100 plorts, hopefully they'll make a market link. The game is still growing.

If you could carry 80 at the start and 200 at end game, it doesn't make "optimization" worth it. No need to make something easy easier, lots of reasons to make something tedious easier.
Conrad500
Rancher

Postby NoticeMeGenki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Conrad500 wrote:So you think you should start off being able to hold 80 of an item just starting out? The reason behind it (as far as I can see) is pacing.

You shouldn't be able to start a game, suck up 80 pinks, throw them loose on your range, repeat it twice, suck up a bunch of food and feed them, and farm that way.

You CAN do that still, but it's not as easy. It's far better to promote optimization. You can spend a lot of time doing it the bad way (which hey, if that's how you like it, power to you) or you can actually think about a good way to do it.

Also, gordos wouldn't be an achievement at all. You can pop pink ones pretty easy starting off, but the others post more of a challenge and only being able to hold a limited amount of their food makes it harder.

Limiting the slots promotes "smarter" play and gives the game progression.

Once you're late game, 50 per slot is a lot! You've already gotten past the point where you need convincing to explore (hopefully) so now it's about convenience. Why do we need 100 henhens?

If you need food for slimes, that's why you optimize your ranch. Grow/raise the food near the slimes.

If you're trying to refine 100 plorts, make a refinery link.

If you're trying to sell 100 plorts, hopefully they'll make a market link. The game is still growing.

If you could carry 80 at the start and 200 at end game, it doesn't make "optimization" worth it. No need to make something easy easier, lots of reasons to make something tedious easier.

Being able to carry more than one stack doesn't make collecting/harvesting any easier imo. Pink's spawn infanatly right in front of the ranch, so collecting a ton is easy. Plus at the begining of the game feeding even 20 pinks is a bit hard no mater how many stacks you have because you have no farm and food is pretty scarse outside the ranch. And popping gordos shouldn't be hard because you have to walk a lot it should be hard because you have to have collected enough food to feed it. Collecting from farms is just as difficult (unless you're only farming one thing) because you still have to wait for the food to grow.

The only thing not being able to carry multiple stacks does is make simple tasks take forever which is not a good way to add challenge to a game.

Emptying a silo for example takes at least two trips because the silo holds 100 of one item (not a large enough inventory here eather imo) and at max you can cary 50 of one item. So moving one silo needs the time it takes to remove the item x 2, walk back and forth between silos x2, then replace the items in the other silo x2. And that's at the fastest, if you have a silo full of nothing but pogofruit then you can times that time by 4 and then you've spent 7 hours of in game time moving a silo. Not the most fun and engaging game play if you ask me.

And then late game when youre ranch is good and established some things you just don't need anymore so when I go out looking for stuff (usually chickens or plorts) I have to return home with two slots full and two slots compleatly empty because I don't need to collect slimes or catrots anymore. It's frustrating and just deters me from ever leaving the ranch at all. Efficiency is the goal in games like this so why is the main tool so limiting?!
NoticeMeGenki
Rancher

Postby Conrad500 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:52 am

You can easily get 20 carrots in just the first two areas. Also pogofruit. You can do that, sleep, repeat. Super easy way to just farm pinks, rocks, or even phosphors (at least for a night witout a pen).

I agree that the max silo should be raised, but why are you transferring silos so much? Maybe you should have planned better? Get it? Plan better = not have to transfer = how you manager your ranch matters = you don't have to hold 100 of an item at a time.

Also transferring items isn't hard if you aren't free ranging or transferring henhens. Scoop 50, shoot them far, scoop the other 50, repeat. Much faster than walking with each stack.

This game becomes cookie clicker if you can just repeat the same action over and over to your heart's content. Sit in front of silo, scoop up 200. Sit in front of feeder, put in 200. repeat. That's fun.

When you go out, when will you ever need to gather 50 of anything? If you need something that much, you can just farm it. Exploring is supposed to be exploring, not grocery shopping. I want another vacpac SLOT, i don't want to use more slots for one item. When I go out I never go for just one thing. If one thing is important enough for me to go explore, I already have a/a few plots allocated for it.

But I guess we can just agree to disagree. You think the game is about inventory management, but I think it's about exploring. We're both right, of course.
Conrad500
Rancher

Postby LastPayLoad0 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:33 am

Holy crap, you people have a huge battles.

Im going to just say a few sentences
Maybe once you get to the point to where you have 50 of a item you can buy a upgrade
Hello , Are you looking down here for something?

Steam: LastPayLoad0
LastPayLoad0
Rancher

Postby Faevian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:28 am

Seriously though, having to run back and forth to empty a plort collector because you can’t hold as much as the collector is stupid. I love this game but an upgrade is needed. Maybe some love to do tedious repetitive tasks in games, but I love advancement. Not running back and forth endlessly when you have pens in every expansion but you can only deposit plorts for money in one location and it takes multiple trips to do so. To me this is the single most frustrating part of this game, that and not having more vacpac slots. I have dealt with and learned to plan around the vacpac slots, but the low capacity has led me to a slime massacre on my ranch so I could start over with fewer slimes and dealing with less plorts. Most of my lots are now just farms for free feeding a few free roamers and I have only two corrals for the harmful largo combos and one pond. I do however have 50+ free roaming pinks for the pink plorts needed for the slime science. Free roaming is so much better than corrals, I just wish you could free range multiple slimes without them turning into largos and tarrs, but I digress. More capacity for the vacpac please.
Faevian
Plort

Postby LastPayLoad0 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 am

HUGE battles

LastPayLoad0
Rancher

Postby Faevian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 pm

LastPayLoad0 wrote:HUGE battles

Haha, I'm not battling. Just stating my opinion. ;) Hopefully the devs see there is a desire for this and consider implementing it into the game.
Faevian
Plort

Postby Smudgedhorizon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 am

I think it's more strategic having limits, early game I kept having to make agonising choices between what to keep and what to dump before I ran back to my ranch! It makes the game exciting and greatly adds to the longevity.
Smudgedhorizon
Chickadoo

Postby Conrad500 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Smudgedhorizon wrote:I think it's more strategic having limits, early game I kept having to make agonising choices between what to keep and what to dump before I ran back to my ranch! It makes the game exciting and greatly adds to the longevity.

That's my feelings exactly. It's worth the effort, that's the point of farm/ranch games. We aren't limited by time or actionpoints, we're limited by what we can carry, which isn't very limiting at all but still stops the game from being menial.
Conrad500
Rancher

Postby cloudyrei » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:25 am

Okay so I agree with OP atleast to a degree. I'm cool with not being able to hold 100 of an item or more stacks. HOWEVER I am 1000% tired of trying to get out exactly 50 plorts only to have to slow way down at the end and either be a few plorts short or end up with a couple on the ground and a full container despite having slowed way down. So I propose either a 100 slot upgrade in the very, VERY late game or a smarter vac system. Like Imagine if it stopped pulling the specific kind of plort (or whatever it is your vacing) from the silos and collectors when you hit 50? I'm sure a 100 slot upgrade would be easier to impliment but in the interest of the people worried it would make the game too easy I think a silo suction limiter of sorts would be a nice compromise.
cloudyrei
Rancher

Postby LastPayLoad0 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:40 am

Maybe when the glass dessert is unlocked you can unlock a upgrade for a (random name here) upgrade that lets you hold more of one item, OR you can find parts or some npc that sells it to you, AND OR that npc can give you a quest??????

LastPayLoad0
Rancher

Postby Conrad500 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:30 pm

@cloudyrei

I would freakin LOVE if they made it so you didn't suck out more than you could hold, or if you sucked it out it'd go into your pak instead of on the ground. Those would be awesome.
Conrad500
Rancher

Postby LastPayLoad0 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:23 am

Conrad500 wrote:@cloudyrei

I would freakin LOVE if they made it so you didn't suck out more than you could hold, or if you sucked it out it'd go into your pak instead of on the ground. Those would be awesome.

Ummmm I cant read what you mean but if its anything like mine im all in

LastPayLoad0
Rancher

Return to General Discussion