[Slime Suggestion] Deep Slime

Share your original Slimepedia entries

Re: [Slime Suggestion] Deep Slime

Postby Elskah » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:24 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:"in a game with slimes that have the unusual tendency to explode or are radioactive or are inexplicably shaped like cats, it breaks suspension of disbelief for a slime explicitly stated to have the unusual ability to float and swim in sea water to be able to float or swim in sea water"

I'm just going to bring this back rather than continuing to argue. There is no logical reason for it to not be able to swim or float in the sea when Pigcatapult has already said that it has the "unusual ability" to do so. There are slimes currently in-game that are much, much stranger than the Deep Slime. And as KitsuneRyo pointed out, it's just a game, just for fun. There's really no reason to be arguing about logic in an already illogical game? I'm just saying that if you have a reason to dislike the Deep Slime, it shouldn't be "but it doesn't make sense".
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby YongYoKyo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Elskah wrote:I'm just going to bring this back rather than continuing to argue. There is no logical reason for it to not be able to swim or float in the sea when Pigcatapult has already said that it has the "unusual ability" to do so. There are slimes currently in-game that are much, much stranger than the Deep Slime. And as KitsuneRyo pointed out, it's just a game, just for fun. There's really no reason to be arguing about logic in an already illogical game? I'm just saying that if you have a reason to dislike the Deep Slime, it shouldn't be "but it doesn't make sense".

I don't dislike the Deep Slime. I'd rather like to see a octopus-like Slime, but its mechanics has a lot of conflicts.

It's basically an aquatic Tarr, except the Slimes it eats are turned into plorts instead of other Tarrs (where does all that extra "slime" go to? Tarrs still maintain some semblance of the conservation of mass). The Tarr's main gimmick/danger was that it eats Slimes and converts them into other Tarrs. The Deep Slime's diet takes away from the "exclusivity" of the Tarr's diet and conflicts with the original view that Slimes getting eaten is a bad thing. It also goes against the idea of the Slime Sea being an inhospitable place incapable of life. Why would Slimes go out onto land in the first place if they can sustain themselves in the Slime Sea?

I feel it focuses too much on making the Deep Slime like an "octopus" instead of a "Slime". It could work just as well as a meat-eating Slime with an ability focusing around ink that rarely spawns in regular water like Puddle Slimes. (They could crawl out of the water to hunt, or have some sort of semi-aquatic hen. A meat diet would also allow the possibility of Deep Largos being made).

Why do they even need to stay in a Pond? The reason Puddle Slimes need Ponds is because they're basically blobs of water that easily evaporates and consume water for food. Deep Slimes probably have less water content in their bodies than Puddle Slimes and they consume Slimes for food, not water. So why does it need to stay in a Pond? If it needs to eat the slimewater, why does it need to eat Slimes? With its diet, there's no reason for it to be limited to a Pond other than to make it more like an octopus. It's not an octopus-like Slime, but a Slime-eating octopus. As I said, I feel it focuses too much on making an "octopus", not a "Slime".
YongYoKyo
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:51 pm

tbh the pond thing was in part so that you can't put an air net over it. It doesn't eat the slime water, but I'm working under the (admittedly perhaps foolhardy) assumption that other aquatic slimes that you're still supposed to put in ponds because that's just what they live in will eventually be implemented, alongside other slimes that need Sun Shields and stuff so that those features don't end up being used for exactly one thing. I wanted to make an aquatic slime, and dumbo octopuses are cute, and I also remembered that people have complained about slime containment being too easy because of high walls and air nets, and this slime has tentacles already, so why not make it escape-happy and give it a reason to break into corrals when it's hungry? I'm sorry I haven't deviated enough from "octopus" for you.

Would putting the mouth on the front after all help in the slightest?
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Hiding » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:47 am

Krakenslime
Hiding
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:15 am

... You know, I think I'm gonna put a mouth on it regardless. I've got a rough blob down and it's creepycute enough I want to keep it.

Edit: Yep, I'm pretty happy with that mouth.

(and, again, this is meant to be only one of several diverse aquatic slimes. Maybe one prefers Water Chestnuts. Except that that's a pun and the Water Chestnuts in the Far, Far Range aren't all that much like Earth Water Chestnuts. Or some kind of fruit that normally only grows over the water)
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:47 am

This idea isn't all that good. Feeding honey slimes to a slime like this would not only be overpowered (Since you can hold up to 50 of 'em.), but just cruel. Cannibalism should be restricted to negative slimes or have no favorite to balance it.

Also why do they hate the taste of pink slimes? They seem to be a common prey, why would they pass it up? Are they THAT picky they'll only eat Slimes which are found deep inside of the jungle with no slime water? Geez, one tough crowd.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:00 am

DeltaStorm wrote:Cannibalism should be restricted to negative slimes or have no favorite to balance it.

I guess that's the big, fundamental disagreement about this slime, isn't it? "But I don't want to feed my poor slimes to another slime!"

First, let's clarify that a slime eating another slime isn't cannibalism, since the most relevant definition of cannibalism is "the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of its own kind". It would be cannibalism if a Deep Slime ate another Deep Slime, but I think we can all agree that the varieties of different slimes are... well, all different kinds. (It's pretty obvious that while a Tabby Slime and a Honey Slime may be related in that they are both slimes, they are absolutely not the same thing.) It'd be more accurate to think of them as different animals in an ecosystem. And in an ecosystem, the population of all of the different kinds of animals is managed by both diseases and predation. We have the Tarr, but honestly, they're not really predators; they don't always exist, they don't last very long, and they get no benefit from consuming a slime (besides making more of themselves), so they're more like an outbreak of disease than a predator. And while there are meat-eating slimes (Tabby, Boom) they aren't predators to other slimes.

TL;DR: It's not cannibalism and it has a biological basis. The only reason a slime-eating slime wouldn't be included in the game is sentimentality.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby TheMageOfMist » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:11 am

Pigcatapult wrote:... You know, I think I'm gonna put a mouth on it regardless. I've got a rough blob down and it's creepycute enough I want to keep it.

Edit: Yep, I'm pretty happy with that mouth.

(and, again, this is meant to be only one of several diverse aquatic slimes. Maybe one prefers Water Chestnuts. Except that that's a pun and the Water Chestnuts in the Far, Far Range aren't all that much like Earth Water Chestnuts. Or some kind of fruit that normally only grows over the water)

I like the mouth, but I also rather liked the idea of them having a mouth below them to aid in hunting underwater slimes. ^^ Plus the ocean in both our world, and in game, are likely akin to two different worlds and so it is meant to look unusual for a slime. I know for sure our oceans house a lot of VERY weird stuff.

I rather enjoy the idea of them living in the slime sea, and don't see any issue with a water-type toggle since, honestly, the game needs some kind of money sink even if it is a little. I doubt someone who raises Puddle Slimes would have much to worry about when it comes to money anyways. Also the deep water upgrade could be good for both Puddle and Deep Slimes... Deep slimes would be less inclined to escape and can swim around and be their creepycute selves, and Puddle Slimes obviously would have more water to drink and have less risk of evaporating. Plus I find the idea of watching the Deep Slimes swim around rather cute.

As for them eating other slimes... It is an alien world, and there are bound to be predatory slimes around to aid in keeping the population under control and by extension, possibly stop The Tarr from being created. I see The Tarr as the last resort the world has to ensure slimes don't over-populate and exhaust all the resources. As for the plorts... They could be larger than usual plorts due to their slime diet, due to the extra mass, which would explain the higher value other than their usages.

And for WHY they'd need to be in slimewater... It could be that they dry out over time when outside the water. Adds a little danger to their adventurous nature of leaving their watery pens to explore and hunt down other slimes in, likely, less watery corrals.
I'd feel bad feeding my slimes to the deep slimes, but I already feel bad feeding the chickens to my tabbies and tabby largos... I get attached to those clumsy little chikadoos that grow into hens and roosteros.

Also... I'd rather like a ranch area behind the ranch facing the slime sea you could unlock to raise Deep Slimes and possibly other slimewater slimes, if they ever make it into the game. Also for those claiming the slime sea is lifeless... Why can you see what looks like kelp growing in certain areas of it? It can't be used for land plants for sure, but slime-weeds as I call them can still grow there it seems, and are sticking upwards also instead of pressed to the ground... So SOME things can still float there. ^^

Edit: Also... I am a rather big fan of fishing. It was my favourite pastime in Animal Crossing and some Legend of Zelda games. I for sure wouldn't mind catching fish to raise in ponds as food for other aquatic slimes... Heck, I might just fish for fun and the relaxation aspect of it. XD
There is never too many honey tabbies.
TheMageOfMist
Rancher

Postby OMGZombehs » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:55 am

Your slime is so cute and cool! I love sea creatures. This is like a cool dumbo-vampire octopus. It inspired me to think of an underwater ranch area. Like a sea-lab...way outside the scope of what the game is already, but it won't stop me from imagining it. I'm already fascinated with the water inside the Grotto...under the planks I can't get through. It's like a giant natural well. What's down there? o uo <3
Whee! Whoa! Woo hoo!
OMGZombehs
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:41 pm

Elskah wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:Cannibalism should be restricted to negative slimes or have no favorite to balance it.

I guess that's the big, fundamental disagreement about this slime, isn't it? "But I don't want to feed my poor slimes to another slime!"

First, let's clarify that a slime eating another slime isn't cannibalism, since the most relevant definition of cannibalism is "the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of its own kind". It would be cannibalism if a Deep Slime ate another Deep Slime, but I think we can all agree that the varieties of different slimes are... well, all different kinds. (It's pretty obvious that while a Tabby Slime and a Honey Slime may be related in that they are both slimes, they are absolutely not the same thing.) It'd be more accurate to think of them as different animals in an ecosystem. And in an ecosystem, the population of all of the different kinds of animals is managed by both diseases and predation. We have the Tarr, but honestly, they're not really predators; they don't always exist, they don't last very long, and they get no benefit from consuming a slime (besides making more of themselves), so they're more like an outbreak of disease than a predator. And while there are meat-eating slimes (Tabby, Boom) they aren't predators to other slimes.

TL;DR: It's not cannibalism and it has a biological basis. The only reason a slime-eating slime wouldn't be included in the game is sentimentality.

That's not the problem I was addressing, the problem I was adressing was the fact slimes are easy to obtain, so it would be TOO EASY to feed them.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:12 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:
That's not the problem I was addressing, the problem I was adressing was the fact slimes are easy to obtain, so it would be TOO EASY to feed them.

So, should I make folks walk all the way out to the Moss Blanket to feed them or not?? How rare do their food slimes need to be? I'm willing to take out the favourite if that's necessary.

(also, yeah, the "cannibal" thing was purely for alliteration's sake. I'll go take that out)
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:

So, should I make folks walk all the way out to the Moss Blanket to feed them or not?? How rare do their food slimes need to be? I'm willing to take out the favourite if that's necessary.

(also, yeah, the "cannibal" thing was purely for alliteration's sake. I'll go take that out)

The food slimes should be rare enough to be scarce, maybe rock slimes? They're the rarest since they merge almost instantly, they feel like a food source when gathering, but the reason they would feed on the rocks could be because it 'possesses many minerals which helps the slime survive, along with nutrients.'
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm not going to make their diet exclusively Rock Slimes. That's stupid and not going to age well in the slightest. That's why I've made their feeding tier-based.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:I'm not going to make their diet exclusively Rock Slimes. That's stupid and not going to age well in the slightest. That's why I've made their feeding tier-based.

Honey and Booms are way more common then the rocks, that's why I was suggesting it. And obviously you're carrying a grudge.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby OMGZombehs » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 pm

I really liked the deep sea slime so I drew it.

Here ya go:

Whee! Whoa! Woo hoo!
OMGZombehs
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:22 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:
Pigcatapult wrote:I'm not going to make their diet exclusively Rock Slimes. That's stupid and not going to age well in the slightest. That's why I've made their feeding tier-based.

Honey and Booms are way more common then the rocks, that's why I was suggesting it. And obviously you're carrying a grudge.

DeltaStorm wrote:Also why do they hate the taste of pink slimes? They seem to be a common prey, why would they pass it up? Are they THAT picky they'll only eat Slimes which are found deep inside of the jungle with no slime water? Geez, one tough crowd.

Oh no, I am reacting emotionally to you constantly talking out of both sides of your mouth (simultaneously complaining that its food is too common AND too rare) and making passive-aggressive digs at me.

See: Dedicating two whole new sections added today that are clearly directed at me, including a completely unnecessary line about how I "clearly dun goofed" because slime balance is so easy.

Now, let me enumerate two other things you're obviously directing at me:
If you have a unique diet with a high plort value, have NO favorites, or the rarity is gonna burst through the damn roof.

Summary: If easy to contain, decrease value and increase rarity. If not do the opposite

Again, you're telling me to do two very opposite things. I've already established that the Deep Slime is a rare slime that only spawns under very specific conditions, so "the rarity is gonna bust through the roof" is already 100% intended. But then also you're saying that, since it's difficult to contain, it has to be common and have a pricier plort, when you've already accused it of being OP for its plort value compared to its diet.

And so the only thing I can make sense from that is that your real complaint is that rare, troublesome slimes with a unique diet shouldn't exist, which it would have been a lot nicer if you told me upfront.

But no, somehow I'm the unreasonable grudgy one for reacting emotionally to this and not trusting that you're acting in good faith towards me about my slimes.

And this is the last of this argument that I'm going to post, because, shockingly, I don't enjoy the sensation of feeling upset and hurt.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:29 am

Pigcatapult wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:

DeltaStorm wrote:Also why do they hate the taste of pink slimes? They seem to be a common prey, why would they pass it up? Are they THAT picky they'll only eat Slimes which are found deep inside of the jungle with no slime water? Geez, one tough crowd.

Oh no, I am reacting emotionally to you constantly talking out of both sides of your mouth (simultaneously complaining that its food is too common AND too rare) and making passive-aggressive digs at me.

See: Dedicating two whole new sections added today that are clearly directed at me, including a completely unnecessary line about how I "clearly dun goofed" because slime balance is so easy.

Now, let me enumerate two other things you're obviously directing at me:
If you have a unique diet with a high plort value, have NO favorites, or the rarity is gonna burst through the damn roof.

Summary: If easy to contain, decrease value and increase rarity. If not do the opposite

Again, you're telling me to do two very opposite things. I've already established that the Deep Slime is a rare slime that only spawns under very specific conditions, so "the rarity is gonna bust through the roof" is already 100% intended. But then also you're saying that, since it's difficult to contain, it has to be common and have a pricier plort, when you've already accused it of being OP for its plort value compared to its diet.

And so the only thing I can make sense from that is that your real complaint is that rare, troublesome slimes with a unique diet shouldn't exist, which it would have been a lot nicer if you told me upfront.

But no, somehow I'm the unreasonable grudgy one for reacting emotionally to this and not trusting that you're acting in good faith towards me about my slimes.

And this is the last of this argument that I'm going to post, because, shockingly, I don't enjoy the sensation of feeling upset and hurt.

Are you serious? You JUST PROVED you have a grudge, let me show you how those 'opposite things' were used. 1st case, I was pointing out them turning up a nose for pink slimes, but prefer to to eat boom slimes, which will explode in their mouths was stupid, there isn't anything wrong with that. The biological evidence you gave was 'because they don't like the taste so they eat the boom and honey's.' which makes no sense when you think about it because animals in the wild only have taste to check if they're eating the correct food, for example, if you gave a cat sugar, it would not be able to taste it. Why? Because the carnivorous cat does not need to eat sugar, since sugar is a plant product. The taste is used to determine if it's edible or not.

And I was suggesting the rocks because the rocks they have could contain nutrition in them, so the rock-climbing deep slime would wrap around it and suck out all of the nutrition. I think what you are forgetting is something called evolution, two slimes in the world that can destroy an entire eco-system is pretty much never gonna exist because there is competition, that is called the Tarr, so this slime should have evolved to eat underwater slimes instead of land slimes because it makes no sense they would crawl that far, as opposed to the pink slime or rock slime, which are close on a reef that's easy to climb and right next to the ocean. The journey out of the slime ocean is much harder at the moss blanket then the dry reef, so why bother there? This would cause it to evolve to pretty much suit the surroundings of hunting there after many years. If it ate Honey and booms, it would have to deal with the common Tarr outbreaks.

2nd case, this is part of a guide that wasn't directed at you. You really think you're a special snowflake don't you? Anyways, that 'summary' was for the section of containing the slime in the balance chapter, so you clearly took this out of context to try and make yourself seem like you've got a bigger point, when you don't, anybody who has read the guide knows this.

Also there's not two new sections, can you read?

And yes I did take inspiration from this post to make the point about the no favorites if they have a unique diet. But I didn't add it in with you in mind, the pink slime has no favorite, and it has a unique diet. The gold slime is extremely rare, and is going to have a favorite, but it's rare enough to balance this out. This was why I added it in to HELP OTHER PEOPLE, do you see the puddle slime with a favorite? No.

But you failed to understand what I was doing.

What I was doing was basically 'add on if true' you was supposed to go through the guide, and check through with your slime, and then see the end result after you've added and subtracted what I have asked you to do, you may get an extremely rare slime with a high value, or a common slime with low value. I even bloody put a disclaimer where I said 'I don't claim to know everything' because I don't, but I get what makes my slimes get good reception.

Also one more point, balance was something I was going to add anyways, so you saying this is just stupid, you saying I made 2 sections entirely for you is a ridiculous statement in the first place.

No I didn't, the gold slimes bloody exist and I condone the thing, just because you want to feel like a special snowflake doesn't mean you try to antagonize other people when they do nothing to you except criticize your ideas, even though I writ a guide that you followed, I CAN not like the idea you made.

Yes you are because you're making ad homenims, stupid complaints as if you own an idea, stupid arguments that clearly miss the point on purpose, so strawmanning, and finally, talking in a condescending manner.

Understand what you're doing kid, it ain't good for ya' image.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Gobledigmus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:54 am

Pigcatapult wrote:(I guess it could be reworked to eat Meat and have a high-tier Hen as its favourite, but I don't think that'd make much sense, given its habitat)

What about an alien fish as new kind of meat for this Slime? That would make the pond more useful, because you could even raise fish in there. They would be a higher tier kind of food found in some fresh water areas or even at the edge between the Slime Sea and the land, what would make it rare to find.
Raising fish in the pond would mean that other Slimes could quite easily enter it and eat your fish away, so you will have to be careful with where you place your ponds that are meant to contain them.
Gobledigmus
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:14 am

Gobledigmus wrote:
Pigcatapult wrote:(I guess it could be reworked to eat Meat and have a high-tier Hen as its favourite, but I don't think that'd make much sense, given its habitat)

What about an alien fish as new kind of meat for this Slime? That would make the pond more useful, because you could even raise fish in there. They would be a higher tier kind of food found in some fresh water areas or even at the edge between the Slime Sea and the land, what would make it rare to find.
Raising fish in the pond would mean that other Slimes could quite easily enter it and eat your fish away, so you will have to be careful with where you place your ponds that are meant to contain them.

this
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:30 am

DeltaStorm wrote:2nd case, this is part of a guide that wasn't directed at you. You really think you're a special snowflake don't you? Anyways, that 'summary' was for the section of containing the slime in the balance chapter, so you clearly took this out of context to try and make yourself seem like you've got a bigger point, when you don't, anybody who has read the guide knows this.

He wasn't saying you created that part aiming for him, he meant he thought that you were trying to make the point of following those two parts in your posts.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:35 am

This thread is really starting to get out of hand. Everybody needs to just calm down.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:35 am

I've calmed down now. Turns out forgetting to eat all day is terrible for my mood.

Rock Slimes are almost certainly going to become way more common when the Quarry comes out (I mean, it's full of rocks, after all), and the Honey Slime will probably get nerfed since basically everyone agrees they're currently very broken, so I can't depend on the current rarity of any specific slime. The "picky eater" thing is an Obvious Balance Patch, but if you really want a different sort of explanation for it, maybe pink slimes are toxic to it for some reason.

You never mentioned boom slimes exploding in its mouth before. Rock slimes would then logically cut its mouth with their sharp crowns.

... Although, you know, that would be an interesting diet restriction. And way more interesting than them having a strong taste preference for Honey Slimes. Honey and Puddle slimes just happen to not fight back.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:57 am

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:2nd case, this is part of a guide that wasn't directed at you. You really think you're a special snowflake don't you? Anyways, that 'summary' was for the section of containing the slime in the balance chapter, so you clearly took this out of context to try and make yourself seem like you've got a bigger point, when you don't, anybody who has read the guide knows this.

He wasn't saying you created that part aiming for him, he meant he thought that you were trying to make the point of following those two parts in your posts.

https://gyazo.com/a5a8c2b8b1351929be04abef69b7e8dd
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:01 am

Pigcatapult wrote:You never mentioned boom slimes exploding in its mouth before. Rock slimes would then logically cut its mouth with their sharp crowns.

They're slimes. Slime is like a liquid, cutting wont do anything, but that does beg the question: How do Tarrs grab stuff. I'm assuming it has to do with tar being sticky.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 am

DeltaStorm wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:

https://gyazo.com/a5a8c2b8b1351929be04abef69b7e8dd

Hm. Where did he put that? I didn't see it in this thread, maybe I missed a post and/or sentence.

Whatever, lets just get off this argument and calm down a bit...
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

PreviousNext

Return to Slime Design