Chest Hunting / Range Exchange suggestion

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Chest Hunting / Range Exchange suggestion

Postby Stalindor » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Hey slimies!

I´ve come up with a suggestion that might be interesting or maybe just trash but, meh, One man´s trash is another man´s treasure... i guess.
Anyways, I (might refer myself as "players" later) was thinking that exploring the world was interesting and entertaining at first, when it was brand new and fresh. Then as time passed I noticed that I only went out just to explore the new content, gather said content and go back to the ranch to make a farm out of it and after that I would spend most of my time in the ranch farming-feeding-gathering-and-selling to make some $$$ for future content, also to admire the splendid work devs made on the world and it´s aesthetics.
So, it came to my mind that maybe for the Slime Science there could be an addition to make "players" go out a little bit more:

Note: I don´t know how it all works regarding the Slime Science so these are some wild suggestions.

1.-Chests: If the machines will have to be built gathering slimes, spending money and/or crafting new materials with the plorts, MAYBE add some pieces for these machines scattered around the map in the chests and have a certain drop chance for them. Maybe add some more tricky spawn points and make them more random.

My personal thoughts behind this is that "players" can go out explore the world and the cheeky spots chests can spawn in and maybe this way "players" can go out and explore the world hunting for chests.

2.-Range Exchange: This one excites me a little bit more and would give "players" a reason to use the Range Exchange outside Five Day Rush (I don't really use it).
Similar to the chests, let the Range Exchange have some of the pieces/ingredients/stuff needed for the Slime Science Items. Here we could have a good use for Gold Plorts for (JUST MAYBE) expensive parts (yeah gold plorts would mean expensive of course) for the let´s call it "high end" machines, or something like that.

I think this will cover the basics behind this idea.
Hope you guys like it.
MOM! Bring the camera, I'M A SLIME! *Slimes away*
Stalindor
Chickadoo

Re: Chest Hunting / Range Exchange suggestion

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:52 am

That's a little weird, but something akin to your chest idea will be added with slime science - treasure pods that are going to be scattered all over the Far, Far Range. I don't know what those will contain, but they will surely reward you with something as said in the dev wishlist/roadmap!

I also like your idea with the Range Exchange. Maybe these NPCs that use it will also give you exclusive blueprints (you need them to make a gadget)?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Stalindor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:38 am

I just read the Road Map. Yep, it was there all along, I guess my idea wasn't so off after all.

As for the Range Exchange: anything can be done with it, but since i don't exactly know how Slime Science works i can't really come with something close to what devs have in mind, just an overall idea.
But that's what i came up with, let the Range Exchange have a place inside the Lab and Slime Science itself.
Create a new NPC with the typical "crazy doctor" personality who is obsessed with slimes and plorts and have him charge you huge amounts of either of both in exchange of parts/blueprints/stuff for the Slime Science.
(I´ve found myself capable of producing 100 plorts of each farm-able type [except for cats, they don´t eat so much for some reason] in like an hour of game play, so depending on the rarity/value of what will be build let it have a cost of maybe thousands of plorts [for some hardcore farmers])
Stalindor
Chickadoo

Postby OllieLovesSlimes » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:01 am

If the using the range exchange to get a really rare machine but you only get one part of each person, I think the machine should be a plort converter but you can only use it every 10 days and it costs 300 pink plorts to get a gold plort
OllieLovesSlimes
Rancher

Postby Stalindor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Maybe I should read the Dev blog before suggesting something. It's all there LOL
Stalindor
Chickadoo

Postby Nick » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Yep, treasure pods will be added all over the world with the Slime Science update! They will be different from loot crates in that they're in static locations and remain there, opened, after used. They will be one of the primary means of obtaining certain gadget blueprints.

Personally, I'm super excited to be hiding these all over the game world. I love secrets :)
Nick
Developer

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Viktor already fills that role as a scientist npc. and speaking of the range exchange, i've still never seen anything given or desired past the main starting slimes of pink, rock, tabby, and phosphor; and the few resources prior to the indigo quarry.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby WOLRUS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I hate those blazing treasure pods. When I'm not looking for them and just taking a passive stroll to pass the time, I trip on one. But now that I've gotten the treasure cracker (ha, trippy pods) they get out of my way. Or at least I don't wander on them anymore.
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Return to General Discussion