Visiting your friends ranches

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Visiting your friends ranches

Postby fortehluls » Fri May 20, 2016 4:00 pm

So I know there is no multiplayer option, but in a future update will it be possible to share a ranch name/number with friends who also have Slime Rancher and have them enter your game in like a free floating mode where they have minimal interaction and see your ranch and slimes?
fortehluls
Chickadoo

Re: Visiting your friends ranches

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri May 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Depends on devs wanting this feature to be added.

I'm not sure it'd be too good, since the game might now require Internet connection. Some people might also want to play it offline. Also, what would be the purpose of doing this? Just seeing their Ranch?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Shiverlry » Fri May 20, 2016 5:10 pm

I think this is a good idea. Even though it's not vital, when playing a single player pet game, it's nice to show your friends what you've put together.

Although, (and keep in mind I know nothing about coding) having to code so that the other player can look around and not interact with anything sounds more complicated than just allowing regular multiplayer.
Slime ideas:

TANRR Slime
Vacuum Slime (needs feedback)
Shiverlry
Rancher

Postby PuddleSlimer » Sat May 28, 2016 3:48 am

sometime near the 0.4 update they're going to give beatrix an actual face so this would work well with it
I ran out of ideas for a signature!
PuddleSlimer
Rancher

Postby TinySlimes » Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 pm

I just kinda send friends my save file and tell them to go nuts. Oh, the potential horror of what they can do. XD
TinySlimes
Rancher

Postby Kozzer33 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:21 am

Maybe it could work like the coaching mechanic in TF2, where you can teach/be taught by a fellow experienced player, by simple button presses that puts signals on the ground like "Vacuum this!" "Coop right here!" "Purchase Dash Boots!". It kinda sounds stupid but I think it's more hands-on that just mic or text chat.
Don't feed the blobs anymore poop after you've already fed them poop!
Kozzer33
Rancher

Postby Nick » Tue May 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Even with minimal interaction, you're still talking about simulating physics on both clients and that's a major challenge. Slime Rancher was designed as a single-player experience. It doesn't mean that multiplayer will never happen, but it's not our focus right now and would be a massive technical undertaking.
Nick
Developer

Postby Fehzor » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:12 am

Could just have the game write/read save files from the desktop/whatever location. If the point is to show them your ranch that's basically all it needs- the ability to send them your saves.
Fehzor
Rancher

Return to General Discussion