How many slimes does a feeder feed?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

How many slimes does a feeder feed?

Postby Glaivecar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm

So I've been playing for a bit and I have noticed that the food dispenser tends to dispense way too much food! It ends up littered all over the corral floor, and if I wanted that I could do it myself! lol.

I'm thinking it must have something to do with the number of slimes I keep in each corral. I keep Largos, so I only have 5 slimes per corral - any more then that and they look overcrowded. (whether or not slimes even mind being overcrowded seems like a debate for a different thread, they don't seem to mine piling all on top of one another in the wild, hehe)

So my question is, has anyone found a good number of slimes to keep in each corral? Enough so that they all get enough to eat from the dispenser, but not too few that they end up swimming in fruit/veggies/hens?
Glaivecar
Plort

Re: How many slimes does a feeder feed?

Postby kittyourock14 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Honestly, I haven't found any good number to keep it in, because as you said, it puts way too much food or just not enough fast enough! In my opinion it's a completely useless feature and I can't wait till the team upgrades it and makes it more accurate!
Why isn't there a Harry Potter slime? </3
kittyourock14
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:25 am

Feeder puts on random intervals out six food items, so It'd be enough for six slimes. But, since it does it on random intervals, it's very irregular.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:59 am

until the auto-feeder has some adjustable settings, i wouldn't bother with it. with 6 or so largo in each corral, it's easy enough to keep everyone well fed just with a couple farms and the overgrowth's mass supply of hen hens. what you have to keep in mind is even if the auto-feeder spits out enough food, that doesn't mean all the slimes will get fed. the plort collector will suck up all the food into the corner so you have to use a quick burst of the vac now and again to spread the food (and the slimes) across the corral. (which is kinda fun actually so i don't mind the plort collector doing that that much lol) i'd reccomend using only various types of hen hen for any slimes that eat meat (even if its not their favorite) if you spend most of your time out in the field. since they don't expire or die, they can just sit in there forever until a slime gets hungry and eats them. and they move around so the plort collector wont be a problem.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby CashMoney » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 am

I've seen a ton of complaints with the auto-feeder, but personally I've never had any problems with it. I typically keep 10 slimes in each corral, and they all seem to be well fed whenever I visit them.

re: the food waste issue, it would be cool if a corral's plort collector could redeposit any food it sucks up into the auto-feeder, or at least have that as a separate upgrade.
Introducing... The Shiba Slime!

You: "Don't you think that's enough honey-boom largos?"
Me: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
CashMoney
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:44 am

well unless you overcrowd, spoiling food isnt that big an issue. though granted i only actually have 3 corrals with any slimes not counting my pond. even in the main area i have 2 silos- one for everyone's favorite food, plus the elder hen hens and roostros in case a slime likes those in the future (only have a single elder hen hen so far though) then i have a coop to fill those silos, a pond, 3 corrals for slimes, and an empty corral y the range exchange that i use just to catch the boxes from that and release them inside just so they don't explode everywhere. last thing i need is a random plort falling in some grass and a slime getting to it without me realizing until its a tarr. also have silos for plorts in the cavarn. just in case an update causes money to be reset or just for when the market properly fluctuates.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:14 pm

They're definitely a work in progress. The simplest version is what we have at the moment, but we're considering a means to change the rate of feeding or possibly something automatic later on.
Nick
Developer

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:53 pm

By automatic, you mean a dynamic feeding formula process relative to the slime count?
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Return to General Discussion