Jet pack is OP

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Jet pack is OP

Postby nerdygamer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:05 pm

I don't want to not be able to explore so instead of decreasing the power of the jetpack why not add one way ceilings to areas the rancher is not allowed to access yet? there is great opportunity for easter eggs way out on the set dressing you are normally not allowed to go to and on top of the cave near the ranch (maybe a slime with a hard hat that has its own entry) also the ceiling will let the player be able to see what all they are missing and have them try to find keys and what not easier. right now i can reach the empty under construction place that i'm assuming is the home to rad slimes ( the one that's most built and seems like its littered with ribs or something,) and i can also reach what i assume is a teleporting place waaaay off of the side of rib place.
nerdygamer
Plort

Re: Jet pack is OP

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:17 pm

It has been far too long for me since I last played a game that did not impose an arbitrary wall between me and places I normally could go to as far as game physics and mechanics would let me, so I'm going to respond with a loud and disdainful no on that.

Free range exploration is a huge contribution to the game's gameplay success, it absolutely does not need to be limited further simply for the sake of giving more privacy to levels not yet fully implemented because we'll be stuck with these limited options in the long run.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby nerdygamer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:24 pm

i don't mean for levels under construction i mean for stuff at the ranch or levels that are already implemented that you would need a key to get to. the ceiling would let you look down into the level but not let you go into / take anything out of the level and when you unlock it the ceiling is gone. also before you are allowed a jet pack you should have to purchase a teleport to ranch device so that if you get stuck somewhere you have an easy way out. I thoroughly enjoy flying around out of bounds and my favorite spots are that temple place with the circle and that island faaaar of in the distance that i'm assuming is going to have teleporters or something.
nerdygamer
Plort

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:46 pm

nerdygamer wrote:a teleport to ranch device

This would destroy the purpose of the regular teleporters.

Unless this would skip to morning, as though you "died"?
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby raynewalker » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:54 pm

It's actually pretty fun to be flying everywhere using the jetpack. No invisible walls/ceilings are fine. I say keep it. The only gripe I have is that you can access locked areas. Then that defeats the purpose of the slime keys doesn't it? Maybe they should have different sectors that have loading screens between them to prevent any invading of new areas.
raynewalker
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:58 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
nerdygamer wrote:a teleport to ranch device

This would destroy the purpose of the regular teleporters.

Unless this would skip to morning, as though you "died"?

That would make it quite fair and pretty usefull. I like it.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby nerdygamer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:34 pm

i second the dying teleport.
nerdygamer
Plort

Postby ZionSpelunker » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Another solution could be just raise the walls to those entrances, even with tier 3 upgrades you can only fly so high. The dying teleporter could also work as long as the player cant simply fly over the walls again totally making the teleporters useless unless you use the for fast travel without worrying about dying
ZionSpelunker
Chickadoo

Postby Sepolash » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Maybe instead of a dying teleporter, there could just be a "I'm stuck" button in the esc menu.
Sepolash
Chickadoo

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Sepolash wrote:Maybe instead of a dying teleporter, there could just be a "I'm stuck" button in the esc menu.

Which would make you spawn on the teleporter in your ranch and make you skip a day. That's a pretty good idea and it would be extremely useful in the early stages of the game. I like it.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby xenxander » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:25 pm

I found the desert and another area island that isn't rendered yet. Nothing spawns there. So who cares if you can visit?

Honesty it's fine. It's fun to be able to putter around on a fart-pack (sorry but the sound-effect of the jet pack REALLY needs an upgrade) to check out places.

They aren't open yet, so nothing spawns there. It's fine to poke around in them, it gives you a preview but not a full taste. It whets your pallet.

edit:
it doesn't even unlock the achievement 'found such-n-such area' so it still is a non-issue.
xenxander
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:27 pm

xenxander wrote:I found the desert and another area island that isn't rendered yet. Nothing spawns there. So who cares if you can visit?

Honesty it's fine. It's fun to be able to putter around on a fart-pack (sorry but the sound-effect of the jet pack REALLY needs an upgrade) to check out places.

They aren't open yet, so nothing spawns there. It's fine to poke around in them, it gives you a preview but not a full taste. It whets your pallet.

edit:
it doesn't even unlock the achievement 'found such-n-such area' so it still is a non-issue.

You didn't find the Desert. It's another part of the Dry Reef that's why you didn't get any achievments.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby xenxander » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Nakhryn wrote:
xenxander wrote:I found the desert and another area island that isn't rendered yet. Nothing spawns there. So who cares if you can visit?

edit:

You didn't find the Desert. It's another part of the Dry Reef that's why you didn't get any achievements.

well it had bones of a large animal, like a rib-cage of a whale, and it was all sand, so I figured it was the 'desert' area, just won't unlock the achievement yet if you putter around in it.

I don't mind that it's just another part of the reef, that's fine too :)
xenxander
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Don't worry, buddy. Everybody thought it was the Quarry or the Indigo Desert until Nick said otherwise. :P
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby xenxander » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:37 pm

*chuckles* Okay glad that's cleared up ^_^
xenxander
Rancher

Postby nerdygamer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:49 am

YAY THEY LIKED MY IDEA!!!! but i have no money to preorder sadly...
nerdygamer
Plort

Postby nerdygamer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 am

SO can someone show me what they mean by the boundaries for the ranch? like the only thing blocked off is the stuff you have to pay for right? you can still explore cut content and get to the green place early? also what do briar hens and chickadoos look like and what do their descriptions say?
nerdygamer
Plort

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 am

Future updates to the world will include mountains and canopies and such that will limit jetpack exploration. But this will also add to the the way you think about navigating the world.

Additionally there will be changes to jetpack functionality, but the overall spirit of what you're experiencing now is definitely something I'd like to preserve.
Nick
Developer

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm glad. I really love the jet pack.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby spacepuffin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:11 pm

I really love the jetpack in its current form, and I would be sad to see it go, but I agree it can be a *little* bit too much.
- Spacepuffin
spacepuffin
Chickadoo

Postby NekoSlime » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:56 am

SpiralRancher wrote:It has been far too long for me since I last played a game that did not impose an arbitrary wall between me and places I normally could go to as far as game physics and mechanics would let me, so I'm going to respond with a loud and disdainful no on that.

Agreed. It's been a long time that I've been able to feel a sense of unending wonder when it comes to exploring a game's world. Because there's barely any invisible walls.

The jetpack is hard enough to use as it is anyway. It takes a long time (and therefore, a large amount of your energy) in order to actually begin ascending; your remaining energy being enough to just get you over the ledge. Therefore, it is primarily suited to hovering over long distances and over water, which is an instant knockout if you land in it (I found out the hard way...)
NekoSlime
Rancher

Postby nerdygamer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm

man i remember this, i broke my comp and lost the alpha sadly
nerdygamer
Plort

Postby GreatRancher » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:05 am

nerdygamer wrote:man i remember this, i broke my comp and lost the alpha sadly

WHY YOU WOULD POST IN AN OLD POST!!!
*sigh*
Also, Nick already solved the Jetpack trick putting bigger mountains to make places unable to reach without a Slime Key(Also, there was a glitch with the Tabby largos that could make you launch very high to reach areas that the Jetpack couldn't did but was very difficult to perform, and it normaly happens randomly, I normally call it the "Rocket Tabby Glitch", but is already fixed, I think...).
Even if it's your own post, I don't think is a good idea to activate a very old post
Hey, don't look down here!
There's NOTHING!Except...a signature
*sigh*
GreatRancher
Keeper

Location: Spain,I'm not from England or America or Ireland.I'm from Neptune and Mars too :)

Postby WOLRUS » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 am

The jet pack is great. Also, even though I have 150 energy, when I use 100, the other 50 is just discredited and I slowly slip back down. Pouty face.
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Postby nerdygamer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:20 pm

its been a long time since ive been able to play, and ive yet to be able to afford the full game at this time, can i ask if the jet pack is as fun, and if you can explore as well as before? how much has the game even updated?
nerdygamer
Plort

Next

Return to General Discussion