Puddle Slime Researcher Reporting!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Puddle Slime Researcher Reporting!

Postby Charm » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Good day, everyone! I'm Charm, a Puddle Slime obsessed slime rancher. Seeing as the game is so new and there isn't much known about the rare little puddle slime, I have been spending a lot of time experimenting with and studying these sweet little guys. Since Puddle Slimes have gotten increasingly more stable with the last version update (0.2.2), I began catching and studying them exclusively. I thought I would share some of my findings here for those who are curious to know more about them. If anyone else has any research data on Puddle Slimes, I would love to hear about your findings!

My main curiosities that I set out to uncover the mystery of were as follows: How many Puddle Slimes spawn in the wild during one day's cycle? Do they have a specific respawn time? How much water can a pond hold? Is there any type of "warning" for when the pond is getting dangerously low that could jeopardize Puddle Slime safety? How many Puddle Slimes can be put into one pond before they start despawning? How many Puddle Slimes can be safely and profitably put into one pond? Below you will find the answers to these questions with adorable pictures and more text. ;)

Question: How many Puddle Slimes spawn in the wild during one day's cycle?
Answer: From my experience, I have seen a maximum of four spawn in a one day cycle, with one spawning in the tiny pond and three spawning in the bigger pond near the end of the Moss Blanket.

Question: Do they have a specific respawn time?
Answer: As best as I can tell, they do not have a specific respawn time. I spent several in-game days standing by the different ponds doing nothing but clearing the area (to avoid The Tarr forming and eating my precious Puddle Slimes, as traumatically happened once before my very eyes T_T) and staring at the pond waiting for the Puddle Slime to spawn. As another note, it's interesting to see from my collected data that is appears Puddle Slimes "prefer" to spawn in the morning or day more so than at night.

Here's a little snippet of my research data about respawn times in the two different locations:
Small Pond
Day 26: Puddle Slime spawned and taken at 23:57 (right before roll over to day 27).
Day 27: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 12:20.
Day 28: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 10:10.
Day 29: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 17:20.
Day 30: On this day I did an experiment where I didn't remove the other Slimes and Plorts floating around in the Pond to see if it would effect respawn rate at all. To my surprise, with a lot of items floating in the pond the Puddle Slime did not spawn at all on this day.
Day 31: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 4:52.
Day 32: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 11:40.
Day 33: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 7:51.
Day 34: Redid the "lots of stuff in the water" experiment again, once again, the Puddle Slime did not respawn during this day.
Day 35: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 7:33.
Day 36: Puddle Slime respawned and taken at 8:13.

Bigger Pond
Day 31: Puddle Slime spawned and taken at 1:30, a 2nd Puddle Slime spawned and was taken at 4:17, a 3rd Puddle Slime spawned and was taken at 17:36.
Day 34: Two Puddle Slimes spawned and were taken at 9:45, a 3rd Puddle Slime spawned and was taken at 12:09.
Day 35: Two Puddle Slimes spawned and were taken at 13:14.
Day 36: Two Puddle Slimes spawned and were taken at 16:00.

Question: How much water can a pond hold? Is there any warning for dangerously low water levels?
Answer: From full to entirely empty, a pond can hold 33 shots of water. Once it is empty, it takes 33 shots before it becomes entirely full again. As the pond gets exceedingly close to empty (around 8 shots from being empty) you can begin to see the bottom of the pond, which is a valuable warning to refill it before your Puddle Slimes face grave consequences. Puddle Slimes can still easily survive in this level of low water without any issue, but a bit lower and they start despawning. For safety, I wouldn't recommend letting your ponds get any lower than this without refilling them.

Question: How many Puddle Slimes can be put into one pond before they start despawning?
Answer: It looks like 30 is a safe number for Puddle Slime storage in a single pond. When I put in one extra, making a total of 31, the extra one began climbing on top of the other Puddle Slimes which put it in danger of despawning from being out of water.

Question: How many Puddle Slimes can be safely and profitably put into one pond?
Answer: While a Pond can safely hold 30 Puddle Slimes, it is more profitable to keep a number closer to 10 Puddle Slimes per pond. This is because when the pond is too crowded, the Plorts they spit out tend to disappear as soon as they spawn from not enough space that they end up hitting the side of the pond and despawning. Also, when sucking up the Plorts spit out by 30+ Puddle Slimes in one Pond it's possible to lose some of the Plorts AND some of the Slimes from them colliding into each other in a big mass. Not good at all!

Other fun screenshots and random data from my Puddle Slime studies!

Seeing as I had one extra Puddle Slime in a pond by itself at my last logout, I decided to put a few random friends in with him so he wouldn't be lonely. ;) Puddle Slimes are happy to share their pond with other floating friends. The Pink Slime stayed in wonderfully without escaping (though it kept eating the Puddle Plorts as soon as they spawned),meanwhile the Tabby Slime eventually climbed out of the pond with it's super-high jump and went to go stir up some mischief.

I find it amusing that the Slimepedia states that Puddle Slimes are shy, yet whenever I encounter one in the wild they always swim right up to me. They are honestly quite outgoing and friendly! :P This screenshot was also part of an experiment to see if a Boom Slime (or any type of Boom Largos) could bounce a Puddle Slime out of the water with its explosions and/or damage it. I tried moving both around to various different locations to see if it made any difference if they were close up against the wall or anything. As far as I can tell from my research, Boom Slimes cannot bounce Puddle Slimes out of the water or damage them. The Puddle Slimes were always safe and smily as ever right after a Boom Slime explosion.

During my research, I was often clearing the entire area of all Slimes/Plorts/Food to not interfere with my Puddle Slimes respawning and during that time I threw many Tabby Largos off the cliff behind the small pond area. Even so, they would occasionally swim back over to me and look up at me adoringly, imitating the happy smile of a Puddle Slime, as if begging me to love them. I refuse!

I also encountered many nightmarish moments during my Puddle Slime research that I feel all other Puddle Slime ranchers can relate to. This is a screenshot of the exact moment I sucked a Puddle Plort out of a Pond that flew past me and landed by the neighboring pond, a split second before it vanished. :( Still not as sad as my Puddle Slime that got eaten by a The Tarr before I could reach it, but close.

With that, I leave you with a picture of 20 Puddle Slimes being utterly adorable in a moonlit pond. Could there be anything more magical? I think not!
Puddle Slimes are Love~ Puddle Slimes are Life!
Charm
Plort

Re: Puddle Slime Researcher Reporting!

Postby KitsuneRyo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:24 pm

Aw, look at all the happy Puddle Slimes!! I would love to have special upgrades for the ponds in future updates.... like fountains, or some sort of net to catch plorts.
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

So cute! :D

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Are you sure it takes the same number of shots to fill a pond as to remove all water? From my experience, water shots fill ponds more than taking a shot out of the pond drains it.

Also, how many Puddle Slimes need to be in a Rancher's pond before the water starts draining? The game says they slowly drain the water inside ponds.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:47 pm

I hope you still love puddle slimes when they eventually look more like puddles...
Nick
Developer

Postby KitsuneRyo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Puddle slimes are going to change???
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

Postby Mobay » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:45 am

I am on the latest patch, and my puddle slimes still vanish! Even in a new created pond! After one hour they are gone from my game! Seems if i go from overgrowth to the main base is enough to make them despawn in my game. :S
But i am sure it will improve when the next patch is released :-)

Thanks for the awesome game BTW.
Mobay
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:49 am

Mobay wrote:I am on the latest patch, and my puddle slimes still vanish! Even in a new created pond! After one hour they are gone from my game! Seems if i go from overgrowth to the main base is enough to make them despawn in my game. :S
But i am sure it will improve when the next patch is released :-)

Thanks for the awesome game BTW.

They might be wandering out of the pond and dying? Not sure what you can do about it at the moment if that's the case.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:00 pm

KitsuneRyo wrote:Puddle slimes are going to change???

I'm pretty sure he said that their mouths will be removed so it'll be clear they can't eat anything (except water) a while ago.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:03 am

Will they get flatter, too?

(Also, it seems like they can just disappear sometimes if they hit the bottom of the pond too hard when you dispense them?)
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:19 am

It's very annoying to collect Puddle Plorts...

I always collect Plorts at the same time, so usually I come to the Ponds when there's only 1 slot left. I try to vac the Plorts by just walking directly on top of them and single-pressing the vac button, to avoid draining the water.

However, there's a bug where, if you vac 2 different types of items at the same time and have only 1 slot available, they'll both be vacced and try to go into the same slot. One item will go into the slot, and the other will be deleted.

I've lost many Puddle Slimes this way...
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby IceThatsCool » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:21 pm

I love this research thing, I may make threads like these!
This biggest fans of Pink Slime would of course be McDonalds.
IceThatsCool
Rancher

Postby MortalitasBorealis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Y'know, now that I think about it, if Tarrs are killed by water, shouldn't they not eat Puddle Slimes, which are mostly water?
MortalitasBorealis
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:47 pm

MortalitasBorealis wrote:Y'know, now that I think about it, if Tarrs are killed by water, shouldn't they not eat Puddle Slimes, which are mostly water?

I'm not sure how smart Tarrs are (since they're basically the zombie plague?), but it'd be really interesting if eating Puddle Slimes damaged them. =)
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby graysonater377 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm

NO!!! WHY THE PINK TABBY!!!!
Huge thanks to SpeedXaaa for making my Avatar!
V 0.3.0 IS OUT!!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!! (4/13/2016)
graysonater377
Rancher

Postby Lantern » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:00 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
KitsuneRyo wrote:Puddle slimes are going to change???

I'm pretty sure he said that their mouths will be removed so it'll be clear they can't eat anything (except water) a while ago.

Aww, I'm gonna miss their cute little smiles when they look up at you over the pond wall.
Light the way.
Lantern
Rancher

Postby z0mbiesrock » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:40 am

Puddle Slime Research :
Puddle slimes pop into a poof of stars like Phosphor slimes after a minute on land.

Puddle Slimes lack a nose, and water is odorless; yet, they make a beeline straight for the nearest source of it, even if it is out of sight.

Water spouts can saturate a puddle slime, and can even make it drop a plort if it needs to "eat". The plorts may occasionally survive being produced in such conditions...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby NapalmFlame » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 am

z0mbiesrock wrote:Water spouts can saturate a puddle slime, and can even make it drop a plort if it needs to "eat". The plorts may occasionally survive being produced in such conditions...

Ok, that's it, we need upgradeable puddles complete with water fountains, this is just too adorable.
NapalmFlame
Chickadoo

Postby AeroHail » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:11 am

Awww this is such a fun and useful thread! It's got some really helpful info!
AeroHail
Rancher

Postby Nunn » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:35 pm

The whole water spout phenom is really neat!
Nunn
Rancher

Postby ZenofireX » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:47 pm

I would Love to find the Puddle Gordo on top of a massive geyser. I've been thinking about this since 50 water is easy to get, the challenge for the Puddle Gordo should be in discovery or Delivery of the water. I chose to go with the later. I imagine him very high up, the geyser going up and down and making it hard to aim at him properly. So far there are no moving platforms in the game, but the Slime Door does change height so I don't think it's too far out of the range of possibilities.

Also, excellent work. I Love puddle slime. I'm glad to see someone really buckled down gathering information on them :D
ZenofireX
Rancher

Postby Illius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:17 pm

This thread has taught me a valuable lesson: I need to begin my Puddle Slime collection!
Illius
Rancher

Postby z0mbiesrock » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:05 am

We all though puddle slimes totally love sitting in a pond and soaking up water lazily and don't mind being ranched...

...we were wrong.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby Fehzor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Plumpette wrote:It makes me think of a possible water area for water slime. With water sprouts and a series of waterfalls for puddle slime to WOOHOO their way down from. That would be so cute. Like a playarea for puddle slime.

This. So much this. I'm imagining either a new area like the cave/wilderness that has water dripping into it, or possibly just fountains strewn about so that you can ranch puddle slimes freely. That or possibly a cage upgrade or plot thing of some sort would be amazing.
Fehzor
Rancher

This thread restored my quality of life.

Postby SpiralRancher » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Nick wrote:I hope you still love puddle slimes when they eventually look more like puddles...

The ellipses look depressing. Or are depressing to look at. I'm not sure.

I hope they won't become silent as a result of losing their mouth. They do a good job at curing depression better when they react to things vocally.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby KitsuneRyo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:05 am

z0mbiesrock wrote:We all though puddle slimes totally love sitting in a pond and soaking up water lazily and don't mind being ranched...

...we were wrong.

Mine have been doing this too!! Gave me a heart attack, I thought the top one was going to fall out, or worse, disappear from lack of water!! I chased them around the pond for five minutes trying to safely separate them! We must be vigilant of this strange growing unrest among our beloved puddles!!
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

Next

Return to General Discussion