Why is development so slow?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Why is development so slow?

Postby pbpbpb12 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:49 am

I know you guys probably have a lot on your plate and that you don't have much time to work on the game, but why is it taking so long to release updates for something that is already in the game (rad slime). I'm not trying to be a nuisance but I think that a lot of people are becoming uninterested in the game due to almost nothing left to do and lack of development. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but I just wish there could be more, when all that's come out in the last two months is a bug fix.
Sorry about the shotty work but I still need to work on my drawing. If anyone has a program that would make creating slimes easier please tell me.
pbpbpb12
Rancher

Re: Why is development so slow?

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:06 am

Monomi Park wants to ensure the best and 99.99% bug free experience. Also, there's only three of 'em.

Though I think that we won't have 1.0 by this year's end with this speed.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Matoka » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:25 am

from what i've seen looking at patch notes and sneak peaks when they were released, for the size of their team they are working VERY efficiently. its quite clear this is a labour of love for the team, I disagree and think that they will finish 1.0 by the end of the year, just because things like indigo quarry and more slimes aren't implemented doesn't mean they aren't being worked on.

Nick has already told us he has been working on tier 3 slimes, even if we dont see it, so much stuff is being developed at this time, They are truly outdoing themselves, go monami fox! ^_^
Matoka
Plort

Postby FarmerYuuma » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:02 pm

The fact that it's taking a them a long time doesn't necessarily mean developement is slow.
Maybe they are getting a lot of job done, you just don't see it because it's not realeased yet.
I mean, have you even seen the whole shaders for the water thing?
FarmerYuuma
Rancher

Postby Nick » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:05 am

The rad slimes aren't taking up much of our time. We did re-write their shaders though to offer greater clarity and be more efficient. I'm pretty happy with the results.

The biggest piece of content is the quarry itself. Our earliest of testers might remember the proto version of the quarry, but at this point I've completely remade it and greatly expanded the original vision. I've got a bunch of other stuff on my plate, including running Monomi Park so it's just taking time.

But I really appreciate everyone's patience. We're working very hard. In fact, I'm writing this post from Tahoe. It was supposed to be a vacation but I'm looking over at my wife working on her laptop too and I guess we're just bad at vacation :)
Nick
Developer

Postby clmurphy74 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:14 pm

NIck,

Sometimes a change of scenery is enough. Be happy and don't worry. We'll just be (in)patiently awaiting the results of MonomiPark's hard work... all 3 of you!

Enjoy!
clmurphy74
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:10 pm

so just out of curiosity Nick, you and you're wife are working on the game. who's the 3rd person? another family member, or a close friend or what?
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby 4and20blkbirds » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:26 pm

@PrismSlime, the three people in Monomi Park are Nick, Mike Thomas, and Ian McConville. More about them if you scroll down on the Monomi Park website homepage http://monomipark.com/ :)
4and20blkbirds
Plort

Postby FoxyBoxes » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:31 am

I don't know ehat you're on about, this isn't slow at all.
Sure most big title games get updates, sometimes as early as day 1, but those are mostly bugfixes, searching existing code for errors, not adding new content.
By contrast, look at how long Minecraft takes to update for even small things, or for a DLC to be produced.
FoxyBoxes
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 pm

really, there's nothing to even complain about. they're working at their own pace without making poor choices just to meet a deadline set to please fans of the game, and they're keeping us well updated with seemingly everything they're working on.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Fehzor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:15 pm

The game isn't anywhere near launch and there's no one to keep up with. Three Rings or Monomi Parks...... You know we need to just call them Nick Friends. Possibly Nick and Friends and Wife. Nick and his Amazing Friends. Like Spider man and his Amazing Friends. Amazing.

Back on track, Nick and Friends do amazing work when left to do it at their own pace and I'm content to wait as long as it takes for them. Software development is such that the longer you spend on the early stuff the more you can develop later on- developing a foundation is absolutely crucial, and for them to get it down now is much more important than us farming rad slimes now. Think of it this way- we want a sky scraper, not a shack on the beach.
Fehzor
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Fehzor wrote:Think of it this way- we want a sky scraper, not a shack on the beach.

One of us got just that.

And it's not me.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:54 pm

how do you even O_O

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby SpiralRancher » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:05 pm

PrismSlime wrote:how do you even O_O

I'll let this thread do the explaining.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby SnowPoff » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:33 am

Slime Rancher is an incredibly polished game. And polish takes time and often divides the line between a good idea for a game and an actually good game. If you follow Nick on twitter you see him progress on the quarry at a solid rate. I've had plans for the Rad Slime since I read about it on the wiki, but release 0.3 will show up when it's done. When it does, I'm sure it will be a rich, polished experience.
SnowPoff
Rancher

Return to General Discussion