A Guide to Slime Ranchin' (Chapter 4 Now Out!)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

A Guide to Slime Ranchin' (Chapter 4 Now Out!)

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:48 pm

Hello everyone, today i'm going to try and help you maximize the money you earn from your wonderful ranch!

Chapter 1 - Getting Familiar with the ranch.

Before you get to the slimes, let's find out what tools we have at our disposal.

Around the ranch you'll see 'plots' you should already know what these do, if you don't, what are you even doing here.

Corral - The most important thing you can build on a plot, these will contain your feisty slimes, they can be upgraded to keep in certain types of slimes, or to aid containment of the slimes. You'll generally want to cram as much slimes in as possible, 30 is a number you should never exceed otherwise you may get an unwanted largo or Tarr on your hands, (More info in Chapter 1) 20 maximum for largo's.

The upgrades are as follows.

Higher walls - Higher walls, keeps in bouncier slimes.

Music Box - These calm down the more rowdy slimes on your ranch, useful for upset Tabby's or Largo's

Air Net - Has a durability, however these things are good for keeping in slimes that are not upset, as they will not acidently jump out, they also seem to heal over time if not destroyed, they will also come back eventually if broken.

Solar Shield - Dims the corral, nice for atmosphere and keeping in the Phosphor slimes.

Plort Collector - Every 30 seconds or so of there being plorts on the ground, they will be vacuumed into the collector, it can hold 2 types at the same time for Largo's.

Auto-Feeder - Fill this up with the slimes favorite food, and they'll be fed at regular intervals, you should use this along with the plort collector to gain plorts overnight. But beware, Hen Hen's in the machine may lag the game, as it dispense so fast the slimes are usually satisfied, and also, only use them if you have a large amount of food lying around.

Gardens - You're gonna need veg or fruit for your herbivore slimes, so get ready to farm! You'll generally want two at least. These also include upgrades to scare slimes off or improve production.

Upgrades for the Garden

Scare Slime - Scares away slimes who may want to gobble up your vegetables or fruit for themselves, it is shaped like a Tarr.

Sprinkler - It waters your crops and makes it produces crops twice as fast.

Nutrient Soil - This fertile soil is full of nutrients for your crops, so you'll want this to get maximum harvest for every harvest.

Coops - This place is where you keep the meat of the ranch, you'll keep Hen Hens and Roostro's here for later slime consumption, oh and the slimes eat them live by the way. Place a Roostro and a Hen Hen together in here to breed Chickadoo's to grow new Hen Hens for more slime consumption, you can upgrade this to help the birth of Chickadoo's, or higher walls to stop slimes from getting in and eating your entire coop.

Upgrades for the Coop

Higher Walls - Higher walls

Spring Grass - Plant some lovely grass to attract scatter bugs, which Hen Hen's love to eat, so they'll produce eggs twice as fast. Kind of like Slime favorites.

Vitamizer - Shoot the Chickadoo's with this light and you'll get a Roostro or Hen Hen twice as fast!

Silo - Use this amazing invention to store up to 4 different types of items! Handy to store excess food. You can upgrade this 3 times for up to 4 slots, as they start with one slot.

Incinerator - Use this and you're a heartless monster.

Pond - To contain Puddle Slimes and hold water for use against Tarr's. Cannot be upgraded.

There is also the Overgrowth and Grotto, these areas allow for Free-Range slimes or extra space and resources. The overgrowth hosts a lot of general resources for your slimes, and the Grotto is general "more space" expansion, where

Chapter 2 - Slime Types

Before you start trying to maximize the ranch efficiency, you should get familiar with each slime, they all have their own unique ways of being a nuisance to you or being taken care of. So let's get started.

I sort these guy's in 'tiers.' Here are the tiers for reference

Pinks - Non-Valuable/Not worth the trouble.

Blue's - Decent starting Slimes, replaceable later on, but help make useful Largo's.

Bronze's - A bit more rare slimes, found in the Moss Blanket most of the time. They are a bit more interesting then your average slime.

Silver's - Rare slimes, highly profitable and useful.

Gold's - Rarest of the rare

Platinum's - Only Golden Slimes

Pink Tier

Pink Slimes - The basics, you'll find this just about anywhere, you can even find natural Largo's of pink that are hostile all the time when entering new areas. They produce pink plorts which are the least valuable in the game, at only 7 per piece starting value. They can eat just about anything.

Blue Tier

Rock Slimes - The rarest slime of the Blue tier, they are usually already a Largo before you get to them, so if you want one, go to where there are usually Rock Pink Largo's and hurry, if you're fast enough, you'll catch a Rock Slime before it transforms. They prefer a hearty vegetable meal, with a nice side of Heart Beets. Also, these guy's hurt you if they gain momentum before they touch you, so make sure YOU hug THEM first! They produce rock plorts which are the second least valuable in the game, at 15 per piece starting value.

Tabby Slimes - The community favorite, the Tabby slimes, they jump high, grab food and plorts, even if they can't do anything with them, just to play with it. They also are the most friendly slime, they try to boop you 24/7 so make sure you get ready for boop-athon when you raise these guys. These guys prefer to eat meat, with a Stony Hen as their favorite. They spawn in the moss blanket and some areas of the Reef, but they are usually They produce tabby plorts which are the second least valuable in the game, at 15 per piece starting value.

Phosphor Slimes - My personal favorite non-largo slime, these guys fly around at night, and are absolutely adorable, however, they burn up in the sun! To avoid the cute critter's certain demise, house them in the grotto or a solar shielded corral. They are easiest to feed out of the blue tier, with a fruity diet! They prefer Cuberry's. They produce phosphor plorts which are the second least valuable in the game, at 15 per piece starting value.

Bronze Tier

Boom Slimes - Boom! These guy's will make your ranch cower in fear to contain them! Just TRY to contain 30 exploding slimes! Yeah, it isn't easy AT ALL. But they produce boom plorts, which are quite valuable and worth the trouble they give you, at a 30 starting price! (If you can't get to the Moss Blanket on day one, they'll be around 50-60 later on!) They eat a meaty meal, with a lovely Briar Hen to top it all off!

Honey Slimes - A lovely little docile slime, they aren't all that threatening, but the plorts are! They taste DELICIOUS, and the slimes agree too! So if you have a largo with a big appetite, you'll have a Tarr on your hands if not watched! The honey plorts are worth 30 at the start, they are also quite useful for Tarr creation. They enjoy some nice fruit, mainly the Minty Mint Mangoes.

Silver Tier

Puddle Slimes - These guy's are very useful and profitable, stick 8 in a pond and you have alot of plorts on your hands.

Golden Tier

Golden Slimes - If you see a shiny slime off in the distance, you shouldn't attempt capture, as they will not yield any plorts if you get near, and will quickly vanish. To gain a golden plort (Which starts at 200 by the way! And go up all the way to 600 in some cases!), you'll need to shoot any food at it, and it will refuse to eat it, but will leave ONE plort behind, making them the hardest slime to profit off of.

Other Tier

The Tarr - These guys, suck. These guys can rip apart a well made ranch in seconds, as they infect other slimes to form into more Tarr, they damage crops, eat Hen Hens and Roostro's, and eat slimes and you. The eaten slimes are not plorted out into plorts, rather, they are plorted out as another Tarr. The Tarr is born when a largo eats a plorts that is not its own kind. To kill or disable a Tarr's infectivity, simply shoot fresh water at it (Pools come in handy here if you are ranching Largo's.

Here is a terrible diagram.

Chapter 3 - Largo's.

Largo's are the first step to creating a maximum efficiency ranch, but you first need to understand a Largo.

A largo is a slime that has eaten a plorts that is not of its own kind, and it fuses into a mix between the two slimes, and they now share factors i'll get into later, but they get bigger and more adorable in the case of Honey Phosphors, which are my favorite kind of Largo.

The Largos when mixed will have these Factor's shared

The Diet - The diets are added together, for example, if a slime eats veg, and another eats fruit, these diets are then changed into a Fruit/Veg diet when one of them becomes a largo of the two. Pink largos will be able to eat everything.

The Favorites - They will now have two favorites, one if one didn't have a favorite.

The Slimology - The appearance is obvious.

The Risks - These guys will share both risks of each slime within the largo, so if you had a Tabby Phosphor, they would be extremely jumped and active, and burn up in sunlight. You'll want to add this as a major condition to your list of a 'good largo' If a slime has 2 risks that help each other, then you don't want it, because it will simply be too hard to take care of. A Boom Tabby for example will jump very high and explode alot, if you want a bad time, don't do that combination.

The Plorts - They plort both plorts of the Largo. Value may be a concern on your list.

Here is what you should keep in mind, in order of priority, when creating a Largo.

Plorts

Risks

Diet/Favorites

Chapter 4 - Places

Hello there everyone, back again to learn about where your cold feet will stand upon? Well look no further!

The Ranch - Refer to Chapter 1

The Dry Reef - Presumably the Hub area of the far far range, in this area you can encounter Pink, Rocks, Tabby's and Phosphor slimes, however Rock and Tabby's spawn further in into the area, so you shouldn't look in the first section. In the area we have a Pink and Phosphor Gordo which yields slime keys, which can be used to access other areas for new and better slimes. There is also a Tabby Gordo, which is blocking a Teleporter, a quick way back to the ranch. You can also find Heart Beets, Cuberry's, and Stony Hens, all favorite foods of the Rock, Phosphor and Tabby, respectively.

You can find the Heart Beets to the left of the entrance from the Ranch, on top of a ledge, there is also an underpass under this area, which has more in case you're running low. There also some Cuberry trees. where the Pink Gordo is, nearby the Tabby Gordo, and one on the path to the Moss Blanket. Stony Hens are found by the Tabby Gordo, but some could also be found if you jump off the ledge to the left of the tunnel path, which is connected to the main valley. (You should know these places).

http://i.imgur.com/PdEwfzh.jpg
The Ledge

http://imgur.com/yYspqhJ.jpg
The Heart Beats behind the ledge.

http://imgur.com/Hfpncg4.jpg
The underpass

http://imgur.com/MHnhfc5.jpg
The Tunnel Ledge

http://imgur.com/aeKxWCo.jpg
The Tunnel ledge next of Stony Hens (To the right)

The Pink Gordo is quite an easy find, you don't need my help for that. The Tabby Gordo is between the Moss Blanket and the Dry Reef (The bridge area). The Phosphor slime is a bit more complicated, but is still an easy find, if you jump down the ledge to the left of the tunnel path, instead of heading right like a normal person, head left, there is a small passage where you can find the big guy.

http://i.imgur.com/4VpQDi8.jpg
Where the Pink Slime Gordo would be.

http://imgur.com/LQpaMvc.jpg
The Fatty Tabby

http://imgur.com/tdBzXnH.jpg
The Phosphor Gordo Grotto

The Moss Blanket - Coming Tomorrow

Chapter 5 - Conclusion

Soon.
Last edited by DeltaStorm on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Re: A Guide to Slime Ranchin'

Postby Nakhryn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Holy crap, this guide is insane. But 20 largos in a corral? At that point, my airnet would be destroyed in a matter of seconds. Oh and you forgot to mention that the Auto-feeder is only good when you have a large amount of food because it dispenses food too fast. And do not put chickens in it or your game WILL start to lag if you have an average PC. Other than that, this Guide is impressive.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Nakhryn wrote:Holy crap, this guide is insane. But 20 largos in a corral? At that point, my airnet would be destroyed in a matter of seconds. Oh and you forgot to mention that the Auto-feeder is only good when you have a large amount of food because it dispenses food too fast. And do not put chickens in it or your game WILL start to lag if you have an average PC. Other than that, this Guide is impressive.

Puttin' it in, and thanks!
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:42 pm

You missed Puddle Slimes in the Bronze Tier.

Also, Golden Plorts start at 200, not 100.

EDIT: "(about auto feeders) It dispenses so fast the slimes are usually satisfied" It should be mentioned that auto-feeders often dispense too fast or too slowly depending on the number of slimes inside the corral, so ranchers should check the rate of dispensing and make sure his slimes are satisfied, adding some food manually or adding/removing slimes if necessary.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:51 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:You missed Puddle Slimes in the Bronze Tier.

I put the puddles in the Blue Tier
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:15 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:

...Actually they are very much worth it. Toss in 5-10 puddle slimes in a pond, come back at the end of the day, congratulations! You now have a ton of money.

Easy to take care of, same value as boom or honey, impossible for them to escape. They're great slimes, actually.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:

...Actually they are very much worth it. Toss in 5-10 puddle slimes in a pond, come back at the end of the day, congratulations! You now have a ton of money.

Easy to take care of, same value as boom or honey, impossible for them to escape. They're great slimes, actually.

Fair point, I never used them because they were jumping out for somepeople, infact, I think we have a first silver rank.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Wonda » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:33 pm

It should also be mentioned that largos generate 2 of each plort (4 total) if given one of its favorites.

(Unless that was supposed to be implied.)

Edit: Whoops.
Last edited by Wonda on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby coolm5224 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Nakhryn wrote:Holy crap, this guide is insane. But 20 largos in a corral? At that point, my airnet would be destroyed in a matter of seconds. Oh and you forgot to mention that the Auto-feeder is only good when you have a large amount of food because it dispenses food too fast. And do not put chickens in it or your game WILL start to lag if you have an average PC. Other than that, this Guide is impressive.

???
I have 20 Honey Boom Largos in one corral and its perfectly fine!
Thanks to SpeedXaaa for the amazing avatar!
coolm5224
Rancher

Postby bandon41 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:00 pm

coolm5224 wrote:

???

lucky you, mine keep popping the net and flying out, maybe i don't feed them enough, but hey i was looking for the golden slime, not for their food
bandon41
Chickadoo

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:11 pm

Wonda wrote:It should also be mentioned that largos generate 2 of each plort (4 total) if given one of its favorites.

(Unless that was supposed to be implied.)

It was :P
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Also note the 20 Largo's I contained were rock/pink, they got rowdy if not fed, and they would escape by constantly banging heads, they are metal after all. Feed them to contain them.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:48 pm

bandon41 wrote:
coolm5224 wrote:

???

lucky you, mine keep popping the net and flying out, maybe i don't feed them enough, but hey i was looking for the golden slime, not for their food

The golden slime will become useless if you feed your slimes enough, particularly if they're Largos. You should try Largos again, but actually feed them enough. Once a day seems enough for me...
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby bandon41 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 am

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
bandon41 wrote:
coolm5224 wrote:

???

The golden slime will become useless if you feed your slimes enough, particularly if they're Largos. You should try Largos again, but actually feed them enough. Once a day seems enough for me...

yea the problem was, that at the time i didn't know you couldn't catch golden slime, and once i figured that out i wanted it's plorts to make a largo's because i didn't know golden largo's don't exist
bandon41
Chickadoo

Postby Nakhryn » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:09 am

coolm5224 wrote:

???

Really!? You're one lucky guy. I can't keep more than 10 in a single fully upgraded corral without them breaking out. xD
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby coolm5224 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:42 am

Nakhryn wrote:
coolm5224 wrote:

???

Really!? You're one lucky guy. I can't keep more than 10 in a single fully upgraded corral without them breaking out. xD

Now they break out every once in a while, but only because my farms are only producing about 7 mint mangoes per harvest.
Thanks to SpeedXaaa for the amazing avatar!
coolm5224
Rancher

Re: A Guide to Slime Ranchin' (Chapter 4 Now Out!)

Postby DeltaStorm » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Updated!
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby TurnipKnight » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Huh. Good effort, I guess. Your tier list is rather arbitrary though. Beside's that there's not much info here you wouldn't know after a bit of play.
Siht gnivarc rof erom seifirret uoy, tub ti si ruoy deerg taht edam em os.
TurnipKnight
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:38 pm

TurnipKnight wrote:Huh. Good effort, I guess. Your tier list is rather arbitrary though. Beside's that there's not much info here you wouldn't know after a bit of play.

I did reason my decisions for putting them in the spot, and the tier listcwae just made to show which slimes I feel are good or not. That was the whole point of the guide, what I do personally which works out in my favour, I raised no pink slimes and used a lot of honey phosphor largos, which was successful.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby GreenHell » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:21 am

I think it makes sense to rank them by base plort price. My ranch is only a week old, but already I've reached the base prices of the Tabby, Rock, and Phosphor slimes. It's really not hard to quickly over-saturate the market.
GreenHell
Plort

Return to General Discussion