Slimeobiology II

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slimeobiology II

Postby Ninjazosia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:58 am

Greetings again!
As you may or may not know, my name is Colton Blake. I'm sure many of you have heard of or even done business with my longtime friend, Viktor Humphries, who is a licensed Slimeobiologist (Sleye-MAY-o-BI-o-lo-GIST) just like me. Now this is the second Slimeobiology post, where I've compiled all of the current information from the last one. Anyways, let's get into it.

What is Slimeobiology?
In less fancy words, the study of what makes these lovably viscous lifeforms tick.

What is a Slime?
To all current research of my friend and all Slimeobiologists around the universe, the Slime (Limus Animalia) is a Eukaryotic multicellular organism with a strange structure. Even though it is multicellular, as it has eyes and muscles, the body is structured like a single-celled Protist, with a Nucleus, Cytoplasm, Ribosomes, and Centrioles.
The Slime also has a plasma membrane and is, similarly to a cell, internally powered solely by adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which they get from the foods they eat. We'll get into that later.

The Plort.
To start off, let's figure out the single most glaring unknown. You all assume it's poop because the names are similar and it comes out of their back. Well guess what? It's just meat. We eat that and have used animal parts such as whale oil for other uses for thousands of years. The slimes are, as proven above, structured like a cell, so there's no reason for the process of mitosis not to occur;
It's just a piece of fat they split off because food they ingested turned into a newer, healthier piece. The main body of the slime would contain the organ that directly converts food into body mass and from what I presume, an endocrine system that releases biochemical hormones to specifically react to the natural sugars and vitamins in specific foods to produce larger and healthier body mass. So, by default, the non-organ after-product of the mitosis is just mass. It's pretty much just shedded skin. Highly processable, and with the right chemicals in their body, a very versatile polymer.

How do they do all this?
Simple. Food. This food gives them a substance called Adenosine triphosphate. ATP is a molecule the cell produces after breaking down ingested glucose, which gives the cell energy to function. With this energy, special ribosome protiens within the slime will immediately start to copy the Slime's DNA from the nucleus. They have to work fast, because the Slime's structural ribosomes have a whole lotta mass and nowhere to put it. Once they are finished copying the DNA, the mitosis I mentioned above will occur, splitting a useless chunk of fat and DNA off of the slime. Voila. The plort.

Reproduction.
One way or another, a Slime is going to make it to the Slime Sea. What's so special about the Slime Sea is that it's full of Slime DNA and ATP. Once said slime finds its way into the sea and starts moving about, it will start splitting extremely rapidly from all the ATP. However, because of having so much "power" from the ATP, it will be able to copy not only basic DNA, but also the nucleus and essential organs as it travels, similar to Tarr. This explains why Slimes fire out of the ground in large packs of the same slime.

Evolution.
Through random genetic mutation and Darwinism, it isn't that hard for Slimes to evolve at the rate they reproduce. And as we know so far, one bit of DNA into a literal ocean of cell materials is going to create a LOT of slime really quickly, as seen when they shoot out of the ground in packs. When the DNA replication ribosomes of a specific Slime in a specific area screw up, it creates a mutation, which then reproduces even further through the constant mosh pit of mitosis we call the Slime Sea This mutation usually involves some way to improve a slime's survival, such as defense (The keratin and cellulose shields of the Rock and Honey Slimes), locomotion (The streamlined motion of a Gold slime or the wings of a Phosphor Slime), or specificity.

Favorite Foods.
What I mean by specificity is that when new, strong species of Slimes are created, they often get a mutation in which their body produces a new chemical that reacts with the sugars in specific food to create even more ATP and mass from that specific food. These slimes would live better and more often reproduce in the area that said food exists. Because the supply of this food ususally dwindles with the amount of Slimes then eating it, the Slimes evolve into just the general type of sugar gained, defining their diet. However, they will still always have the best chemical reaction to that specific type.

Largo Slimes.
When two Slimes love each other very very much, one eats part of the other like some cannibalistic tribe. This is read by the Slime's nucleus brain as food mass and the Slime immediately prepares to do mitosis to get rid of it. But wait. There's now a second set of DNA. The centrioles get very confused and combine the DNA, essentially having sexual reproduction (Two separate gene sets) at the same time as asexual reproduction (One set of copied genes). Mitosis is currently in prophase, meaning the Slime has copied both sets of DNA in the confusion, giving it four sets of DNA. Due to the laws of Biology, each two of this group have their own chromosomes, which causes sexual reproduction to occur within the slime, combining the traits and makeup of the two Slimes. The Slime moves onto metaphase, where it starts to split using the ATP energy already inside of it. This makes it four times larger, as it was splitting into two but given another set of DNA and split that as well. However, because the "food" mass that it ingested was in fact just a piece of another slime, it doesn't receive enough ATP to complete mitosis. So it just kinda... is halfway split twice. The best part is, it doesn't even care.

Gordo Slimes.
A Gordo Slime occurs when a slime hits a "sweet spot" of especially sugary land in the Far Far range. What makes the Range so special is how sugary everything is. The food, the lifeforms, even the land itself. This explains how Slimes travel through the ground and sea, as they're given constant locomotive energy from their surroundings when in the natural landforms. But every so often, there's a super-sugary spot in the landmass, usually low to the sea, as the Slime sea is literally made up of sugar and cell parts. Imagine sitting on an area that gave you infinite food and infinite sugar. I'd stay there too. Now what happens is that when sitting on these areas, the ATP doesn't come in rushes as it would with normal feeding, but instead a constant stream into the Slime. This causes the Slime to grow over time with functional organelles, not just pure mass. Compare it to muscle mass and fat mass. Because of this, there's no sudden influx in fat that the Slime is unable to handle, so in turn, no need to rapidly split into plorts.

The Tarr.
Edited from the research of z0mbiesrock.
When a Largo Slime encounters a third type of Slime DNA in the form of a plort, it eats it, only recognizing the ATP and mass as explained in the Largo section. This causes a disastrous chain of events within the Slime's body, turning into the oily ball we all know and love. The first thing that happens is the nucleus trying to preform mitosis with all three sets of DNA, similar to the formation of a Largo. However, the centrioles that split core DNA for mitosis cannot multitask the additional DNA into the structure of the slime, causing the ribosomes desperately trying to replicate all the different types of DNA to collapse and spread loose DNA out through the cytoplasm, hence the eerie spectral color. The loose DNA creates an extreme burst of free radical nucleotides that char the outer parts of the Largo black. The complete collapse of the Nucleus's assets and intracellular workforce causes the nucleus to lose connection to the rest of the cell, most notably the sensory organs, regressing the nucleus back to its Protist state, simply sniffing out ATP and consuming it. This entire process is what gives birth to "The Tarr". Aptly named for their sludgy exterior, The Tarr are soups of broken protiens and acids, only searching for the closest and largest source of ATP they can find. This, 99.37% of the time, happens to be Slimes. The Tarr will elongate its now incredibly loosely structured body towards the nearest Slime, surrounding it and pulling it back towards the unstable nucleus of the Tarr. It digests the Slime exactly as a normal Slime would to food, and extracts all of the Slime's ATP, so essentially the Slime's entire body. This is excess biomass into the Tarr, and like every other Slime, it needs to get rid of it with mitosis. Without needing eyes or intelligence, all of the newfound ATP can go to the mitosis of the Tarr, setting it apart from normal Slimes. What this means is that the Tarr can completely copy itself, nucleus and all, into a new Tarr. Bloody terrifying.

Okay. I know that was even more to take in than before, but there's a whole world of answers out there, and I'm ready with a good chunk of them. That is why I'm Earth's leading Slimeobiologist after all, besides maybe those Nick and Mike guys who discovered the slimes. Point is, I'm chock full of answers. And for the information to be answers, you guys gotta ask questions!
So, Fire away!
Last edited by Ninjazosia on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's Krakalacken? -Octoslime

Liscensed 7Zee Corp Slimeobiologist
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1595
Ninjazosia
Rancher

Location: Interuniversal Research Station Delta, Location Classified

Re: Slimeobiology II

Postby Ninjazosia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:47 am

I am very productive at unimportant things (Procrastination), if I do say so myself. The notebook is a pretty cool idea. I've tried drawing out some of these anatomy things, but I'm not too good meaning it'll take some work, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby hmat09 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:54 pm

but can you explain the inside face of the tarr?
Attachments
2016-02-11_00014.jpg
2016-02-11_00014.jpg (168.67 KiB) Viewed 49454 times
hmat09
Rancher

Postby Hiding » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 am

Why do largos not eat additional plorts of their own color and only another color (and transforming into tarrs)?
Hiding
Rancher

Postby Wonda » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:36 am

Hiding wrote:Why do largos not eat additional plorts of their own color and only another color (and transforming into tarrs)?

This question could extend for normal slimes, since they don't eat their own plorts.

I'd say that the slimes dislike cannibalism...
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:01 pm

How about this? That Tabby Phosphor Largo disappeared in air.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Jadefeathers » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:19 am

Wow, I love this! I'm always game for overthinking things that probably arent't complicated/don't need explaining!! (no, that wasn't sarcasm, but it did kinda sound like it, oops)
■■■ Deviantart | Art Blog | Youtube ■■■
Jadefeathers
Chickadoo

Postby Ninjazosia » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:53 pm

hmat09 wrote:but can you explain the inside face of the tarr?

I mentioned the charred outside in the Tarr section, so the bonkers cytoplasm on the inside would be free to move a little bit like the inside of a well-cooked marshmallow. The real question here is how are you alive to take that screenshot?

EmeraldPlay wrote:How about this? That Tabby Phosphor Largo disappeared in air.

Ninjazosia wrote:(On the topic of why Phosphors disappear during the day.)
On the topic of MissingBolt's question, I'm surprised that for once, I don't have an answer. My cousin hasn't contacted me in a while (Probably distracted looking for that damned fiddle of his), and most other Slimeobiologists don't work in the field. I got nothing. However, if I were to theorize, I'd say they just worked like a Golden Slime and hopping about pushes their ATP to the edges of their membrane. When the light hits them, it would confuse them, since they use other Phosphor Slimes' bioluminescence to find each other and communicate similar to Earthian fireflies. They wouldn't like this onslaught of conflicting luminary signals, and force themselves into the ground as hard as they can. This would in turn push the centripetally pushed ATP to the center nucleus, giving the slime the mitosis locomotion it needs to travel through the land. [b]However[b], this was just a theory. If any of you ranchers out there see a Phosphor Slime vanish into thin air while flying, I may need to look into it.

And see one vanish you did. I'm going to say this confirms my theory, as the sudden influx of ATP into the cytoplasm would supercharge the bioluminescence, hence the flash of oddly cartoonish stars. That particular Phosphor Largo seemed to have fallen from a long distance, so due to the laws of aviation, a lot of lift would be pushing on it as the air opposed the descent.
Ninjazosia wrote:(On the subject of why the Phosphor Gordo eats more than the others.)
-think of the Phosphor Slimes like birds. They fly and most other Slimes don't. We know that already. So in order to fly, they would need to have less dense cytoplasm and more empty space inside, similar to how birds have hollow bones. Because of this, it would take more mass inside of them for them to run out of room-

This means that it would be much easier for the dynamic force to push back, as there's less to push back on thus triggering the dynamic ATP reaction and practically teleporting into the ground through hyperrapid mitosis.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby Xedric0308 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:00 am

Why do they like the Honey Plorts more than other plorts?
~~ Just a Cool Dude that Loves SLIME RANCHER :D ~~

Slime Ideas: Electric Slime, Vamp Slime, Wolf Slime, Fairy Slime, Eagle Slime

~~ Avatar made by Sectanza :D ~~
Xedric0308
Rancher

Postby Ninjazosia » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:56 am

Xedric0308 wrote:Why do they like the Honey Plorts more than other plorts?

You may have noticed how when you make a Honey Largo, it seems to have a viscous translucent shell, most evident in the Boom Largo. Honey Slimes and Honey Largos also have a unique bottom, where the cellular membrane seems to be stretched toward the very lowest point.
Due to the onslaught of sugars they ingest constantly eating Mint Mangoes and the pure glucose photosynthesized from their cellulose crest, their high-viscosity outer cytoplasm layer visible in the Honey Boom Largo is extremely heavy, as it catches all the sugars entering the Slime. Because of basic Darwinism, the Honey Slimes have evolved to grow a honeycomb-shaped crest, to act as both a shield from the falling fruit common in the Moss Blanket, and as a photosynthesis station, nullifying the need to actually eat similar to the Puddle Slime. Therefore any food the Honey Slime actually ingests is unneeded fat, which naturally gravitates to the bottom of the Slime. Now, in one of the first sections of this post, I explain that Slimes split to get rid of unneeded mass. So even though the Mint Mango is just unneeded fat, it still needs to get out. The process of mitosis would happen as usual, however, since Plorts are usually split on the lower rear of the Slime (Hardee har. Laugh it up. I wouldn't want to split my body through my eyes either.), it would split off the part that happens to be bloody full of Dextrose and ATP. This would be seen by other Slimes as a prime food target, therefore answering your question.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby Xedric0308 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Ohhh ok. *Pretending that I understand, but the truth is I don't* XD
~~ Just a Cool Dude that Loves SLIME RANCHER :D ~~

Slime Ideas: Electric Slime, Vamp Slime, Wolf Slime, Fairy Slime, Eagle Slime

~~ Avatar made by Sectanza :D ~~
Xedric0308
Rancher

Postby Onyxdragon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:57 pm

*loud round of applause for scientifically explaining a game where blobs eat and poop and eat eachother's poop*
I’m a cryptid that appears here every 100 years.

Started on this forum in high school, now in my last year of college.
Onyxdragon
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:01 pm

kinda posting just to get updates on this thread, but just so it's not a pointless post, how do boom slimes explode? and how come this leaves them in-tact instead of making a gory slime-based mess all over the place?
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Ninjazosia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Xedric0308 wrote:Ohhh ok. *Pretending that I understand, but the truth is I don't* XD

Honey sweet.
Plort sweet.
Slime like sweet.
Slime eat sweet meat.
Word

PrismSlime wrote:-how do boom slimes explode? and how come this leaves them in-tact instead of making a gory slime-based mess all over the place?

Referencing the existing Slimepedia page, the boom slime's cells are "constantly vibrating, causing their slime to increasingly crackle with energy before ultimately exploding." It's hard to say, but that's about all we know. Opening up the Plort for research is about as dangerous as playing baseball with Azidoazide and Adam Savage is on vacation, so unless you ranchers have some groundbreaking observation, we've got nothing.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:27 pm

well my objective was to ask a question that there wasn't a clear answer for so i guess i win! \o/
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby SlimeCrafter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:28 pm

THERE IS A CLEAR ANSWER AND I HAVE IT!!! Here is the reason boom slimes/largos explode as I understand it. So say I fed a hen-hen to a boom slime/largo. As expected, the slime/largo will give off a plort. But what happens to the food is kind of unexpected. There is something in every kind of food that the boom slime/largo cannot break down, causing a buildup of the material every time a boom slime/largo eats. This causes a problem, as too much of the buildup can lead to death. So, how does the boom slime/largo get rid of this material? By exploding. The slime/largo sends the material to the membrane, to expel it along with most of the heat within it. This heat being released causes the hissing noise a boom slime/largo makes before it explodes. Then, in a bright flash, all of the built up material is expelled from the slime/largo, causing the explosion. Once all of the material is gone, the slime/largo will stop exploding as often.
He's the biggest nerd there is, iiiiiiit's....

Mr. Moonjump!

Hehe. I used to be known as SlimeCrafter, but I grew out of that name...

I, uh... can't seem to change it. Oof.
SlimeCrafter
Keeper

Postby Ninjazosia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:48 pm

The process described makes sense, but are you saying the Boom Slime evolved to be worse at surviving and the defense was just a by-product? Because that doesn't make sense.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby irdog » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Could you explain gold slimes flying?
Thanks for reading down here! kisses for youMUAH

Thanks to SpeesXaaa for the avatar!
irdog
Rancher

Postby SlimeCrafter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:00 pm

Actually, yes, I am saying that, but nature does what nature wants! That's like asking: Why did slimes evolve to become Tarr?

Mr. Moonjump!

SlimeCrafter
Keeper

Postby Ninjazosia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:07 pm

Ninjazosia wrote:The Tarr.
Edited from the research of z0mbiesrock.
When a Largo Slime encounters a third type of Slime DNA in the form of a plort, it eats it, only recognizing the ATP and mass as explained in the Largo section. This causes a disastrous chain of events within the Slime's body, turning into the oily ball we all know and love. The first thing that happens is the nucleus trying to preform mitosis with all three sets of DNA, similar to the formation of a Largo. However, the centrioles that split core DNA for mitosis cannot multitask the additional DNA into the structure of the slime, causing the ribosomes desperately trying to replicate all the different types of DNA to collapse and spread loose DNA out through the cytoplasm, hence the eerie spectral color. The loose DNA creates an extreme burst of free radical nucleotides that char the outer parts of the Largo black. The complete collapse of the Nucleus's assets and intracellular workforce causes the nucleus to lose connection to the rest of the cell, most notably the sensory organs, regressing the nucleus back to its Protist state, simply sniffing out ATP and consuming it. This entire process is what gives birth to "The Tarr". Aptly named for their sludgy exterior, The Tarr are soups of broken protiens and acids, only searching for the closest and largest source of ATP they can find. This, 99.37% of the time, happens to be Slimes. The Tarr will elongate its now incredibly loosely structured body towards the nearest Slime, surrounding it and pulling it back towards the unstable nucleus of the Tarr. It digests the Slime exactly as a normal Slime would to food, and extracts all of the Slime's ATP, so essentially the Slime's entire body. This is excess biomass into the Tarr, and like every other Slime, it needs to get rid of it with mitosis. Without needing eyes or intelligence, all of the newfound ATP can go to the mitosis of the Tarr, setting it apart from normal Slimes. What this means is that the Tarr can completely copy itself, nucleus and all, into a new Tarr. Bloody terrifying.

It's in the main article.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby SlimeCrafter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Well, why do tarr die when in water, or after being alone for a few seconds?

Mr. Moonjump!

SlimeCrafter
Keeper

Postby Ninjazosia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:18 pm

The polarity of H2O is a main component in the peptide bonds of amino acids, so when a more water is introduced into the system, it isolates the stray amino acids similarly to an ionic compound and blocks it off from the other carboxyl point, ripping apart the protein that makes up the Tarr's cytoplasm and disassimilating the entire organism.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:33 pm

as for tarr just disappearing after a while; my guess is that it's body is so unstable, that it needs a constant stream of ATP to even exist. otherwise it just dissipates.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Ninjazosia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 pm

irdog wrote:Could you explain gold slimes flying?

I've never observed that. Gold Slimes in fact are specifically unique in their streamlined ground locomotion as opposed to jumping. Could you upload a video signal or a photo through Starmail? Don't worry about my Starmail Code, 7Zee can just see it anyways in your Nerdy mumbling from across room I mean no they can't what are you talking about.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby irdog » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Ummm... if you ever observe a gold slime it will fly if it sees you or it will run and spat into a wall.
Also ill try to get a recording! runs to get camera
Thanks for reading down here! kisses for youMUAH

Thanks to SpeesXaaa for the avatar!
irdog
Rancher

Next

Return to General Discussion