Slime Pets

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slime Pets

Postby Rocktabby » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:23 am

I have a rocktabby slime. I've given it it's own corral, and make sure to always give it it's favorite food. I love how it plays with it's food. It's adorable.

This got me thinking: what if slimes had affection stats? You could raise the stat by:
-playing games with it (fetch?)
-giving it it's favorite food and never letting it go hungry (maybe have a special food just for raising the affection stat)
-giving it toys (Maybe they could randomly be in boxes.)
-etc

If you got the affection level to maximum, the slime will:
-always follow you if it leaves the corral
-if it has the ability to harm you (like rock or boom slimes) it won't
-it might have some special mannerisms (like making a kissy face)
-you can name it.

Anyway, that's my idea. What do you guys think?
Rocktabby
Plort

Re: Slime Pets

Postby Wonda » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 pm

While nice to have pets in the game, it will melt my computer with how many more stats it has to track. Although I do see this working if you can only have one pet at a time.

I can't even render eight honey largos.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby hypehypehypeahhah » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:18 pm

It could melt your computer, but it sure as heck would melt my heart.
That sounds adorable, and i'd LOVE to have a Honey Phosphor pet.
Check my steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/noturbuisness/

I am a shrinking violet that uses memes and jokes to express his feelings because i'm too shy to do it myself
hypehypehypeahhah
Keeper

Postby MissingBolt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 am

in my opinion its a great idea x3 especially if each slime had a special ability , like a honey would pick up fruit , you could fly around with a phosphor , booms and Rock would protect you , maybe you could ride a tabby and it would jump super high? but you could expand this , like when it came to Largos , they would have both the abilities but they'd be nerfed , like , for example , a Honey Phosphor Largo , you could only fly around for a short amount of time before it got tired , and it wouldn't pick up food as often :3
MissingBolt
Plort

Postby Rocktabby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:48 am

Maybe at the start of a new game, it would ask you to choose your favorite slime and name it. Then, when the game started, there would be a special corral just for your slime, with the slime inside. It will only eat anything inside the corral, so it's less likely to become a tarr, but you'd have to be careful bringing it outside incase another slime became a tarr and attacks it.
Rocktabby
Plort

Postby Death52001 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:20 pm

OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ OMG YUZ
Death52001
Plort

Postby Heather » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:22 pm

It's a great idea, as I've said before... it would be neat to have a Chester-like Slime IMO ('a la Don't Starve). :)
Heather
Admin

Postby ZenofireX » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:37 pm

This is Exactly what I want from the ranch exchange. Maybe not Stats but a Special Item that will allow you to shoot it at a slime to Tame it and it would follow you around.

Tabby Slime - Bell Collar
Rock Slime - Head Phones (Since they love to Rock)
Puddle Slime - Innertube (Alternatively Umbrella Hat that rains water down on him to keep him comfy)
Phosphor Slime - Visor (Like a Golf Visor right in front its antennae to keep the sun out of its eyes)(Alternatively Parasol)
Honey Slime - Honey Comb (Literally a comb in its.. uh, hair)
Boom Slime - Probably a glass box at this point. I just got done with the 5 day challenge and it's gunna need to be contained in some way!

Stuff like that :3

Plumpette wrote:Or a slime mount! So you could be herding slime like a true old rancher.

Largo's could have special saddles!
ZenofireX
Rancher

Postby Lantern » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 pm

I was thinking of having a special space in the vacpack dedicated to your pet. Maybe while inside, the pet can have a single helpful buffer to you. When the pet is outside the pack, the buffer is removed. They'll still follow you around and be cute and helpful, but when things seem tight, such as walking across the bridges to the Moss Blanket, a special space to keep them in so they don't drown in the Slime Sea while following you seems to ring a bell to me.

If it's a largo you can ride, it won't fit in the space, but you will be helping where it moves, so it won't drown anyway.
Light the way.
Lantern
Rancher

Postby gabs999 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:45 am

OMG THAT'S THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!
gabs999
Chickadoo

Postby GreyVictory1510 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 am

Oh please yes! I absolutly love this idea. ^^
And if there are problems with having a random slime become your pet, how about a special "neutral" slime, which you get at the start of the game or maybe a storyevent if there will be any? It could have no own attributes on its own, but being able to absorb features of various other slimes by eating their plort, kind of like the Chao`s in Sonic Adventure 2 interact with the Animals.
1. it would prefent him from becoming a Largo or Tarr and 2. you could customise your favorites little slime. <3 (The idea with the saddles is btw. great in my opinion. : 3)
It is so cool thinking about what they can do. So much potential. *____*
GreyVictory1510
Plort

Postby Tabbs4Days » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 pm

I want a tabb kitten RIGHT MEOW.
2-Time Cuberry Stacking Champ
Tabbs4Days
Rancher

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:08 pm

Beatrix was always supposed to have a dog named Derwin that would help herd slimes and whatnot but it wasn't necessary to the core gameplay and technically pretty difficult. But I still like the idea and I really like the idea of slime pets.
Nick
Developer

Postby TheBluLegend » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:21 am

The community really seems to want this. This is like the 6th post I've seen on Pet slimes!
I made a post a while back that went a little more in depth on how this could work, like what different types of slimes could do. You can check out here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1941
Last edited by TheBluLegend on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peaceful Night Skys and Warm Sunrises.

I'd love some Feed back on these gameplay ideas!
Tarr Invasions: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1971

Home Upgrading and Pets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1941
TheBluLegend
Chickadoo

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:35 am

Nick wrote:Beatrix was always supposed to have a dog named Derwin that would help herd slimes and whatnot but it wasn't necessary to the core gameplay and technically pretty difficult. But I still like the idea and I really like the idea of slime pets.

That sounds like an amazing feature, actually, although I can imagine it would be very difficult to implement. Herding slimes is a great idea, imo, as it could really help with free ranging and/or bringing slimes back to your farm that you don't have enough room for in your vacpac. Could also keep them from eating your crops.
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby LovelyDoxi » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:58 am

*bump* I support this, I am always down for having pets in games. I love pets XD!!
LovelyDoxi
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:02 am

asdfghjklinkin wrote:
Nick wrote:Beatrix was always supposed to have a dog named Derwin that would help herd slimes and whatnot but it wasn't necessary to the core gameplay and technically pretty difficult. But I still like the idea and I really like the idea of slime pets.

Could also keep them from eating your crops.

Unless nothing keeps them from eating dogs.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby HoneyTabby336 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:03 am

That's a good idea ^u^ I would really like a honey tabby slime for my pet!
I'm not secretly a honey tabby largo using its squishy bottom to type in human language.

I'm also a big fan of roleplay!

I wonder why you're reading this big block of text. Are you bored?
HoneyTabby336
Keeper

Postby sensieslime » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:34 am

Heather wrote:It's a great idea, as I've said before... it would be neat to have a Chester-like Slime IMO ('a la Don't Starve). :)

Nice to see other Don't Starve fans... I can never keep Chester alive for more than 20 days though...
Thank you for reading!
Huge thanks to Sectanza for making my amazing avatar!
Go and give her cookies!!!
Want to see my slime ideas and their artwork? Go here!
Want to play an Evogame? Go here!
sensieslime
Keeper

Postby SquillionthGamer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:21 pm

These pet ideas are great, but I think it could be only for animal slime kinds like Dog Slimes or Tabby Slimes.
Guess who's back(back back)
Back again
Squill is back
Tell a friend(friend friend)

SquillionthGamer
Keeper

Postby KitsuneRyo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:33 pm

I think having the pet be a unique slime would be cool! A one of a kind slime that doesn't really fit in with the others and so Beatrice takes it in and cares for it; since it's different and special, it would make more sense that it can be truly tamed! That would also help with not getting it mixed up with the ranch slimes and such.
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

Postby birchmark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Maybe a slime you actually make. Someone else has been talking on these forums about a slime creator so you can make your own slimes. Maybe the idea of slime creator could combine with the idea of slime pets and you make your own unique slime that is the pet/s.
birchmark
Plort

Return to General Discussion