Slimeobiology

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slimeobiology

Postby Ninjazosia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Greetings!
My name is Cole Hennigan. I'm sure many of you have heard of or even done business with my cousin, Viktor Humphries. I am a licensed Slimeobiologist (Sleye-MAY-o-BI-o-lo-GIST), and one of the the universe's foremost. While all ranchers are required to take two years of Slimeology, simply so they can read the Slimepedia, only the researchers of slimes take Slimeobiology in college. Oh. Sorry. I'm rambling. Anyways, let's get started.

What is Slimeobiology?
In less fancy words, the study of what makes these lovably viscous lifeforms tick.

What is a Slime?
To all current research of my cousin and all Slimeobiologists around the universe, the Slime (Limus Animalia) is a Eukaryotic multicellular organism with a strange structure. Even though it is multicellular, as it has eyes and muscles, the body is structured like a single-celled Protist, with a Nucleus, Cytoplasm, Ribosomes, and Centrioles.
The Slime also has a plasma membrane and is, similarly to a cell, internally powered solely by adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which they get from the foods they eat. We'll get into that later.

The Plort
To start off, let's figure out the single most glaring unknown. You all assume it's poop because the names are similar and it comes out of their back. Well guess what? It's just meat. We eat that and have used animal parts such as whale oil for other uses for thousands of years. The slimes are, as proven above, structured like a cell, so there's no reason for the process of mitosis to occur;
It's just a piece of fat they split off because food they ingested turned into a newer, healthier piece. The main body of the slime would contain the organ that directly converts food into body mass and from what I presume, an endocrine system that releases biochemical hormones to specifically react to the natural sugars and vitamins in specific foods to produce larger and healthier body mass. So, by default, the non-organ after-product of the mitosis is just mass. It's pretty much just shedded skin. Highly processable, and with the right chemicals in their body, a very versatile polymer.

How do they do all this?
Simple. Food. This food gives them a substance called Adenosine triphosphate. ATP is a molecule the cell produces after breaking down ingested glucose, which gives the cell energy to function. With this energy, special ribosome protiens within the slime will immediately start to copy the Slime's DNA from the nucleus. They have to work fast, because the Slime's structural ribosomes have a whole lotta mass and nowhere to put it. Once they are finished copying the DNA, the mitosis I mentioned above will occur, splitting a useless chunk of fat and DNA off of the slime. Voila. The plort.

What makes Favorite Food favorite?
Through random genetic mutation and Darwinism, it isn't that hard for Slimes to evolve at the rate they reproduce. And as we hopefully know so far, one bit of DNA into a literal ocean of cell materials is going to create a LOT of slime really quickly. So when the DNA replication ribosomes of a specific Slime in a specific area screw up, they could get a chemical that reacts with the sugars in specific food to create even more ATP and mass from that specific food. These slimes would live better and more often reproduce. Because the supply of this food ususally dwindles with the amount of Slimes then eating it, they evolve into just the general type of sugar gained, defining their diet. However, they will still always have the best chemical reaction to that specific type.

Okay. I know that was a lot to take in, but I have even more. That is why I'm Earth's leading Slimeobiologist after all, besides maybe those Nick and Mike guys who discovered the slimes. Point is, I'm chock full of answers. And for the information to be answers, you guys gotta ask questions!
So, Fire away!
Last edited by Ninjazosia on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What's Krakalacken? -Octoslime

Liscensed 7Zee Corp Slimeobiologist
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1595
Ninjazosia
Rancher

Location: Interuniversal Research Station Delta, Location Classified

Did you really need to make a new thread?

Postby Wonda » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Why do different Gordos consume different amounts of food?
I'm curious to what your answer will be.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Re: Slimeobiology

Postby MissingBolt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:47 am

Why do Phosphors seemingly decintegrate when hit with Direct Sunlight??
MissingBolt
Plort

Postby Ninjazosia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:07 am

I'll edit this post to answer both of these later. I have an answer for one of them and just have to write it out.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby Theslimelover173 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:46 am

Cool bringing Biology into the world of Slime Rancher.
Honey slimes are the best!!!
Theslimelover173
Chickadoo

Postby Ninjazosia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes. Finally some intelligent questions. I much prefer you ranchers over all the "Hypothetical" scholars on Earth that haven't even seen a slime before! First, let's explain the Gordos.

Gordo Slimes
A Gordo Slime occurs when a slime hits a "sweet spot" of especially sugary land in the Far Far range. What makes the Range so special is how sugary everything is. The food, the lifeforms, even the land itself. This explains how Slimes travel through the ground and sea, as they're given constant locomotive energy from their surroundings when in the natural landforms. But every so often, there's a super-sugary spot in the landmass, usually low to the sea, as the Slime sea is literally made up of sugar and cell parts. Imagine sitting on an area that gave you infinite food and infinite sugar. I'd stay there too. Now what happens is that when sitting on these areas, the ATP doesn't come in rushes as it would with normal feeding, but instead a constant stream into the Slime. This causes the Slime to grow over time with functional organelles, not just pure mass. Compare it to muscle mass and fat mass. Because of this, there's no sudden influx in fat that the Slime is unable to handle, so in turn, no need to rapidly split into plorts.

Anyways, to answer Wonda's question (With surprisingly acute observations for a Rancher), think of the Phosphor Slimes like birds. They fly and most other Slimes don't. We know that already. So in order to fly, they would need to have less dense cytoplasm and more empty space inside, similar to how birds have hollow bones. Because of this, it would take more mass inside of them for them to run out of room, being forced to get off their sweet, constantly sugared butt and split into smaller Slimes than the other Gordos. (A normal slime can't split into another slime because the replication of sensory organs and a nucleus takes much more ATP. A Gordo on the other hand would have been stockpiling ATP for who knows how long.)

On the topic of MissingBolt's question, I'm surprised that for once, I don't have an answer. My cousin hasn't contacted me in a while (Probably distracted looking for that damned fiddle of his), and most other Slimeobiologists don't work in the field. I got nothing. However, if I were to theorize, I'd say they just worked like a Golden Slime and hopping about pushes their ATP to the edges of their membrane. When the light hits them, it would confuse them, since they use other Phosphor Slimes' bioluminescence to find each other and communicate similar to Earthian fireflies. They wouldn't like this onslaught of conflicting luminary signals, and force themselves into the ground as hard as they can. This would in turn push the centripetally pushed ATP to the center nucleus, giving the slime the mitosis locomotion it needs to travel through the land. [b]However[b], this was just a theory. If any of you ranchers out there see a Phosphor Slime vanish into thin air while flying, I may need to look into it. Great questions you two! We'll educate all ranchers yet!

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby TheJewelOfJool » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:14 pm

How do largos work?
TheJewelOfJool
Rancher

Postby Ninjazosia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Largos
When two Slimes love each other very very much, one eats part of the other like some cannibalistic tribe. This is read by the Slime's nucleus brain as food mass and the Slime immediately prepares to do mitosis to get rid of it. But wait. There's now a second set of DNA. The centrioles get very confused and combine the DNA, essentially having sexual reproduction (Two separate gene sets) at the same time as asexual reproduction (One set of copied genes). Mitosis is currently in prophase, meaning the Slime has copied both sets of DNA in the confusion, giving it four sets of DNA. Due to the laws of Biology, each two of this group have their own chromosomes, which causes sexual reproduction to occur within the slime, combining the traits and makeup of the two Slimes. The Slime moves onto metaphase, where it starts to split using the ATP energy already inside of it. This makes it four times larger, as it was splitting into two but given another set of DNA and split that as well. However, because the "food" mass that it ingested was in fact just a piece of another slime, it doesn't receive enough ATP to complete mitosis. So it just kinda... is halfway split twice. The best part is, it doesn't even care.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby Ninjazosia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Day 3: I had to tell a student for the 4th time that Plorts aren't poop. Tarr research is still incredibly dangerous.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby Theslimelover173 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:08 pm

Can you explain how slimes reproduce?
Honey slimes are the best!!!
Theslimelover173
Chickadoo

Postby Ninjazosia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Full-slime Reproduction
One way or another, a Slime is going to make it to the Slime Sea. As mentioned before, the Slime Sea is full of Slime DNA and ATP. Once said slime finds its way into the sea and starts moving about, it will start splitting extremely rapidly from all the ATP. However, because of having so much "power" from the ATP, it will be able to copy no only basic DNA, but also the nucleus and essential organs as it travels, similar to Tarr. This explains why Slimes fire out of the ground in large packs of the same slime.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby TheJewelOfJool » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 pm

How do different types of slimes form?
TheJewelOfJool
Rancher

Postby Ninjazosia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Ninjazosia wrote:What makes Favorite Food favorite?
Through random genetic mutation and Darwinism, it isn't that hard for Slimes to evolve at the rate they reproduce. And as we hopefully know so far, one bit of DNA into a literal ocean of cell materials is going to create a LOT of slime really quickly. So when the DNA replication ribosomes of a specific Slime in a specific area screw up, they could get a chemical that reacts with the sugars in specific food to create even more ATP and mass from that specific food. These slimes would live better and more often reproduce. Because the supply of this food ususally dwindles with the amount of Slimes then eating it, they evolve into just the general type of sugar gained, defining their diet. However, they will still always have the best chemical reaction to that specific type.

This was above. It's just random DNA mutation based on what they were able to eat. Then some with the mutation survived, the others died off, and natural selection occurred.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby Ninjazosia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Guys. You're all ranchers. You should know.

IT IS NOT POOP.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby Azreide » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Ninjazosia wrote:Guys. You're all ranchers. You should know.

IT IS NOT POOP.

I flunked Slimeobiology, I passed through my practical degrees in Ranch & Slime Management and Gathering.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby Ninjazosia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:18 pm

Are you sure you flunked Slimeobiology or just plain Slimeology? Because most ranchers aren't supposed to take Slimeobiology in college unless they plan on being a Slimeobiologist... except that Mochi prick, that is. Ugh. Spoiled Miles brat.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby ChaosBalance » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:00 am

Here's a couple of questions for ya!

Why are some slimes so rare to find?

Why do Crossbreeds (the large ones, I find it easier to call 'em crossbreeds) turn into Tarr when they eat Plorts they don't produce?

Why can't slime be artificially reproduced on the farm, instead on waiting for them to pop up in the wild?
ChaosBalance
Plort

Postby Ninjazosia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:52 pm

The ranch is higher off the sea than the majority of the range, making it more difficult for Slimes to travel up from the sea. Also, there's a lot of man-made equipment there underground that runs off the sugar in the ground (Did you take your free electricity for granted?), so there's not as much chemical energy in the ground to travel with. It's a lose-lose for the Slimes.

The hands-down rarest of Slimes, the Gold Slime, has a mutation that constantly spins the cellular cytoplasm in the body to make locomotion more streamlined rather than constantly jumping, hence the little swirl on top. This constantly pushes the ATP to the outer membrane, so only when the membrane is met with dynamic force is the ATP pushed into the nucleus, allowing the slime to preform mitosis. Due to the constant moving nature of the Gold Slime, it would simply rather use that harder to get burst of energy for logical transport into and through the ground than reproduction. The world would be a better place if it was less intelligent.

About the tarr... um... yeah we had a research team assigned to that question that are.... no longer working with us. Next question.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby z0mbiesrock » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:29 pm

The Tarr
When a Largo Slime encounters a third type of slime DNA in the form of a plort, it would eat that plort, as well. This is where things get crazy. The centrioles cannot accept additional DNA into the structure of the slime, causing the cytoplasm to collapse and glow an eerie rainbow color. The DNA creates an extreme burst of free radicals that char the outer parts of the Largo black. In a futile attempt, the nucleus completely destroys all DNA in the slime's body, while transforming the slime's mind into a mind with one focus: to eat, and eat it all! This entire process is what gives birth to "The Tarr". Aptly named for their sludgy exterior, The Tarr are soups of highly reactive and unstable DNA that are focused on destroying all other slime DNA around it. As the Tarr eats a slime, its DNA is processed by the berserk nucleus; the DNA is torn apart, and the slime's body mass assimilates with the Tarr's. However, this excessive biomass becomes heavily unstable, and the Tarr sheds its extra mass similar to normal slimes. However, their "plorts" are actually exact copies of the Tarr that made them, carrying their own hostility, and their own unstable genetic code.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Plorts are poop i will believe nothing less
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby Ninjazosia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:42 pm

z0mbiesrock wrote:The Tarr
When a Largo Slime encounters a third type of slime DNA in the form of a plort, it would eat that plort, as well. This is where things get crazy. The centrioles cannot accept additional DNA into the structure of the slime, causing the cytoplasm to collapse and glow an eerie rainbow color. The DNA creates an extreme burst of free radicals that char the outer parts of the Largo black. In a futile attempt, the nucleus completely destroys all DNA in the slime's body, while transforming the slime's mind into a mind with one focus: to eat, and eat it all! This entire process is what gives birth to "The Tarr". Aptly named for their sludgy exterior, The Tarr are soups of highly reactive and unstable DNA that are focused on destroying all other slime DNA around it. As the Tarr eats a slime, its DNA is processed by the berserk nucleus; the DNA is torn apart, and the slime's body mass assimilates with the Tarr's. However, this excessive biomass becomes heavily unstable, and the Tarr sheds its extra mass similar to normal slimes. However, their "plorts" are actually exact copies of the Tarr that made them, carrying their own hostility, and their own unstable genetic code.

That is... terrifying. And to be honest, very sound. I'm guessing when the Nucleus "brain" collapses, it would regress the cell back to the original Protist state of sniffing out food and consuming it. Without needing eyes or intelligence all the ATP would go to reproduction, allowing it to make a full copy of itself and not just biomass.

I'm guessing you're one of the... what was it? Three survivors of that tarr experiment, because you are one of the most science-fluent people I've seen in a long time.

Ninjazosia
Rancher

Postby z0mbiesrock » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Ninjazosia wrote:That is... terrifying. And to be honest, very sound. I'm guessing when the Nucleus "brain" collapses, it would regress the cell back to the original Protist state of sniffing out food and consuming it. Without needing eyes or intelligence all the ATP would go to reproduction, allowing it to make a full copy of itself and not just biomass.

I'm guessing you're one of the... what was it? Three survivors of that tarr experiment, because you are one of the most science-fluent people I've seen in a long time.

Trust me. I even intentionally cause Tarr outbreaks to clear areas and get fresh spawns!

Example: I need to get some Honey Slimes from the Moss Blanket, but they're all Pink Honey Largos! I shoot a spare Boom Plort at a Largo (or lure a feral.ex-feral Pink Boom to a Honey Plort), and the Tarr pops up and clears the area! Once all the Tarr die/despawn, new Honey Slimes spawn.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby SupaGamaBoi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 pm

What makes a Phosphor slime glow?
(I would assume it would have to do with internal chemical reactions from food but correct me if I’m wrong.)
Dank SupaGamaBoi wrote:
I EAT THE MEMES
I DRINK THE MEMES
WITHOUT MEMES I WILL DIE

BEWARE THE MAN WHO SPEAKS IN HANDS
LOOK AT THAT NOOB GO
SupaGamaBoi
Rancher

Postby SupaGamaBoi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 pm

OH JEEZ A NECRO
Dank SupaGamaBoi wrote: