An Official Challenge

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

An Official Challenge

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:12 pm

If anyone would like to provide us with some useful data, I have something of a challenge for you:

On a fresh save file begin the game and see how long it takes you to reach 100,000 newbucks. You're free to spend them along the way if you think it'll end up getting you to 100k faster.

The goal is to acquire 100k in the shortest in-game time possible, so sleeping is probably not a great idea.

Some rules:
- No cheating, using mods, etc. This is NOT a contest between other players. We're looking to collect accurate data here, not award medals for time.

- When you hit 100k, take a screenshot and post it here so we can confirm your newbuck count and see the Day/Time on your HUD.

- Please also include anything you think would be of interest to the devs in terms of HOW you went about your challenge. i.e. 'I immediately bought the jetpack because...' or 'I got super lucky and found 10 gold plorts...'

Good luck to anyone that takes on this challenge and thanks for participating!
Nick
Developer

Re: An Official Challenge

Postby Ninjazosia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:13 pm

On it.
What's Krakalacken? -Octoslime

Liscensed 7Zee Corp Slimeobiologist
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1595
Ninjazosia
Rancher

Location: Interuniversal Research Station Delta, Location Classified

Postby imaginamagica » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm

I'll participate.
Just your friendly neighborhood game designer.
imaginamagica
Rancher

Postby TheLifeSpice » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:49 pm

this is more difficult than I had anticipated..
TheLifeSpice
Plort

Postby Kolarin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:12 pm

I'm assuming you have to have 100k on hand at any one time, not getting the 100k total money earned achievement.
Just saying because I just got the achievement but only have have 36k on hand so far

In any case I can already tell I've not been going about this in the most efficient manner. I thought I'd exploit the stock market by building a bunch of silos, but after selling a bunch in each category the prices just don't go back up quickly enough for a challenge such as this. I'd recommend storing a bunch of the greater valued plorts before selling any of them off while using the lesser valued ones as your income during this time.

At the moment I have 3 corrals: rock tabby largos, boom honey largos, and a bunch of phospho slimes. Also have 5 gardens and a coop for the slimes' favourite foods. Obtained 2 gold plorts so far. Also a pool containing 4 puddle slimes

I'll try to continue until I have 100k on hand
Kolarin
Plort

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Yep, this is 100k on hand, regardless of achievements or how much money you spent to reach 100k on hand.
Nick
Developer

Postby TheLifeSpice » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Slept 3 times, found 3 gold slimes
Attachments
MAH GOD YEEEEEAAAA.jpg
MAH GOD YEEEEEAAAA.jpg (180.61 KiB) Viewed 13076 times
TheLifeSpice
Plort

Postby Enaio » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:18 am

My main focus early on was to pick up Pink/Rock/Tabby Plorts so that I could afford corral upgrades and items.

First thing I bought would be the Jetpack, which I found out later on that was a mistake. I found myself not really using it but instead using the sprint more often. I also found out that spamming the sprint button instead of holding it down allows you to sprint much longer. :-P

After that, I got the Slime Key from the Pink Gordo and immediately unlocked the next area, got 8 Honey Slimes and 8 Boom Slimes. Went back to the Ranch and made 16 HoneyBoom Largos, which got me easily to 50k. After that, I found myself needing to get another type in the mix due to basically crashing the market on Honey and Boom Plorts. During my first adventure out, I did run into 2 Gold Slimes, which I got 3 Plorts total. They sold for about 400ish.

I then got Phosphor Slimes and mixed 8 with Honey and another 8 with Boom. When I quickly crashed the market oh Phosphor Plorts, I picked up Tabby and Rock Slimes, and mixed them together.

I made sure to feed the Largos one of their favorite types of food. For the Honey/Boom Largos, I fed them Cuberry (Had 4 gardens of those). For the Phosphor/Honey and Phosphor/Boom Largos, I fed them Mint Mango (Had 4 gardens of those). And for the Tabby/Rock Largos, I fed them Heart Beets (Had 3 gardens of those).

I think I could have done this quicker if I wasn't so tired :-P Instead of immediately cashing my Plorts from my Honey and Boom Largos, I could have stashed them. I had the Plort collector as quick as possible so that would have been able to store the Plorts. My upgrades went as so - High Walls > Air Net > Plort Collector > Autofeed > Music Box. After the first corral, I was able to just buy the whole set up.

I did die twice... in the morning... losing me two whole days.
Enaio
Plort

Postby TheLifeSpice » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 am

I forgot to mention how I went about getting the 100k

I went and unlocked the moss area as fast as I could by feeding the pink gordo whatever I could find

from there I rounded up honey and boom slimes so I could combine them into largos and made 3 pens of honey-boom slimes. Every other plot besides that was mint mangos and I filled every slime pen with as many mangos as I could.
-Collect double plorts and shove them as fast as you can into the market
-???
-profit.
TheLifeSpice
Plort

Postby DaxSpa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:21 am

On it!
DaxSpa
Plort

Postby Megumin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:06 am

-Fed the giant pink slime for the key
-Caught a bunch of honey slimes
-Bought a bunch of farms for Mint Mango
-Harvest the trees twice a day

I could've been maybe a bit faster because I tried doing rock slimes at the very beginning too, but It seemed more profitable just doing honey slimes.

I slept after the second harvest each day(Around 12AM) and after waking up most trees were harvestable again until around the next afternoon/night, repeat for about 15-18k a day.

Things I had:
10 Mint Mango Farms all upgraded with sprinkler and nutrient soil
2 Corrals upgraded with high walls and air net filled with honey slimes
Bought the Overgrowth area for 4 extra Mint Mango farms

Here's a few screenshots of my setup

Edit
Forgot to mention, between the time it takes for the trees to be harvestable again. I went towards the portal at the end and catched honey slimes + boom / tabby / pink plorts for some extra money and slimes
Megumin
Plort

Postby glinkBobby » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:23 am

I like challenges like these, Nick. Working with what one has thusfar. Asking the community for quick playtesting. I might give this challenge a go later on.
SharingFisUcaringC<3KMeow
glinkBobby
Rancher

Postby Kolarin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:15 am

100k at Day 11. Wow.

Also it seems I must have been really unlucky with the stock market because early on the prices just plummeted and none of them have gone above 30 since during my run. Sleeping to make gardens instantly regrow their crops seem like an interesting exploit that I did not know about.
Kolarin
Plort

Postby BarbarianBunny » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 am

Got 100000 in 12 days. http://imgur.com/bnTJXn5

On the first day I bought a jet pack and flew to the honey/boom slimes (no key necessary). I jumped onto the statue in the water (left) http://imgur.com/Qec7Ygn and then picked up a bunch of slimes. I decided to stop by the top of the world before heading back http://imgur.com/Qec7Ygn.

If I had bought the jetpack instantly and didn't bother for sight seeing I probably could have gotten the corral set up before the day was over.

I had 4 trees and 2 corrals with about 16 honey/booms in each(they escape about 1-2 times a day but its very managable). I bought 2 Silos thinking that waiting for the prices to go up would help. It didn't, The corrals produced way more then I could hold on to so I ended up not using the Silos for the last 4-5 days. I was selling at around 30 those last days. It never dropped below 27 at the end. (about 5000/day/corral)

I would recommend using TheLifeSpice's strategy and have 3 corrals with 5 trees. I think it could be done in less then 10 days if you do that and don't bother with the key. I also never left the farm after day 3 so going out for extra cash might help but then again maybe not.
BarbarianBunny
Plort

Postby Laendra » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:26 pm

-Get the slime Key day 1
-Get Honey Slime and Boom Slime ( 4Corral High wall and air net + plort collector )
- 3 tree with Mint Mango (Full upgrade)
-> 3 gold plort
-> 1 death :(
Laendra
Plort

Postby NegroFox » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:32 pm

I started off by ignoring all pink/rock/tabby slimes, making a b-line for the Pink Gordo slime, and getting the slime key. I didnt bother with getting the Jetpack because I thought I could better use the 250 Mons that it cost, though feeding the Pink Gordo took longer than I thought, so maybe Jetpacking over the door is better.

Anyways I picked up every Boom and Honey Slime I saw on the way to the teleport along with any Boom/Puddle/Honey Plorts. I did happen to get luck on my 2nd day I found 1 GOLD Plort, and the 3rd day I found another one, which sped up setting my corrals up by quite a bit.
I started with 4 Corrals, two were Boom/Honey Largos and the other two were Rock/Honey and Tabby/Honey, with 10 Largos in each Carol. I had 4 Mint Mango gardens to get the double Plorts all of them.
Later I expanded into the Overgrowth with 2 more Corrals and 2 more Gardens, the Corrals holding Rock/Honey and Phosphorus/Honey Largos and the gardens being Mint Mango. I found another GOLD Plort as well, but at this stage I was maxed out on everything so it didnt make much of a difference.

After doing this I realize that diversifying my Slimes wasn't really a good idea, If I went all Boom/Honey Largos it would have went a lot faster because even though I was pumping a crazy amount of Honey plorts into the market, they were still worth 30 - 40 plorts, so double what the Rock/Tabby/Pink/Phosphorus Plorts were making.

EDIT: Forgot to add that my Corral upgrades were High Walls, Air Net, and Auto Collector, the Auto feeder just looks like a waste of money to me. Also my Phosphorus/Honey Corral had Solar Shield. When I wasnt feeding my Slimes I roamed through the land picking up Rock/Boom/Honey/Puddle Plorts.
NegroFox
Plort

Postby sopen4 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:41 pm

i did it in 11 days.

i think that at the way i did it you are able to get 100k in 8 days.
(i will say at the bottom why i didnt do it in 8 days)

1 get the slime key day 1
2 get 80 hunie slimes (you can do this before the end of day 3)
3 get 14/15 mint mango farms

you only need 1 corral withoud autofeeder.

it didnt work for me because i had to mutch lagg (realy bad laptop).
i lost 10 / 15 ingame hours.

i also didnt had luck.
i got 70 hunie slimes at day 6
also my plorts only sold for about 33.

so with luck i think it is posible to get 100k in 8 (maby even 7) days
Schermopname.png
Schermopname.png (63.17 KiB) Viewed 12280 times

here you can see the prices (so you see what i mean with lucky/unlucky)
Attachments
SlimeRancher-2016-02-08-11-21-43-39 t.png
SlimeRancher-2016-02-08-11-21-43-39 t.png (61.44 KiB) Viewed 12276 times
sopen4
Plort

Postby Roxal » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Challenge completed at Day 10, 9 AM.

I got the brain gas to even explain my situation.. Because I keep forgetting.
So I don't know how to summarize things in short listing.. But anyway.

- Obtained the key since Day 1
- Gather 10~15 Tabby/Honey + 25~30 Phosphor
- Grabbed 30 Carrot/fruit + 5 Mint Mango
- Set up 2 corrals for 10~15 Honey Boomers (Auto-Feeder + High Wall + Air Net x2)

- Starting to farm since Day 2
- Open Overgrowth ranch + the other ranch
- Set up 5~6 fruit tree garden (Mint Mango) + 4 sprinklers only
- Keep fetching more slimes : Honey, Tabby, and Phosphor
- Feed Slimes and collect plorts
- Day 6 : Increasing the backpack x2 = 20 spaces (Have total in 50)
- Day 6 : Increasing the HP + 50 (I think that's how much?)

- Repeated the same game play until Day 7 to change tactics
- Grabbed 15 Boom Slimes and made them into Honey Boomers
- Jumping around between of life and death, lost inside the largos crowd for their plorts in the dark cave (...)
- At the verge of death? Almost died 3 times. Lived around 2~6 HP left (... Ow.)

I think that's about it so much. I lost track in everything I did. Lol
Oh, there's a difference about having Boomer Largos in the Corral and Cave. I usually have the phosphor/honey largo in the gloomy ranch to extra Newbucks, but the price were dropping really fast from 21 to 12~15. So around Day 5, I decided to change the tactic of using the Phosphor/Honey Largo into Boom/Honey Largos because the price seem to lower a lot. Replaced them with the Honey Boomers and continue the same routine like I often do.

(I'm planning on redoing this challenge again later for fun. I somehow had fun with this and hope there will be some new challenges in the later future.)
Roxal
Chickadoo

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Let's do this.
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby SlimeRancherESP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Seeing the replies and my own experience (which it wasn´t very successful), we can conclude the way to do the challenge:
    -Get the Slime Key / Buy Jetpack.
    -Go to The Moss Blanket.
    -Vac some slimes / resources.
    -Build 1-2 corrals for slimes (with high walls and air net at least) and some gardens (upgraded or not).
    -Make Largo Slimes and put them into the corrals.
    -Feed them, get the plorts, sell them and repeat until 100k.
This method is certainly the most effective when we talk about in game time, but not in real time. Knowing that every day in game are 24 minutes, we spend about 240 minutes, 4 hours, to do the challenge. If I play for real time, the process would be the same but you could sleep every day and you would spend juts 5 minutes.

In addition, I know it's a test for developers about the currency system. I think this challenge is just a challenge. Nobody wants to earn that amount of money because once you have it, you can buy anything you want.

After all I said (and which are more interested developers), now I´m going to explain the changes I would make:
    * Most importantly, CHANGE SLIME AI! I don´t spend even a minute in some area and there is already a Tarr (sry for this one xD)
    * Make it harder to obtain resources (food), and / or decrease drop ratios.
    * Delay and increase the price of yourself upgrades (not having all the top and make faces to be one thing to keep in mind).
    * Redesign the Slime Gordo: need more food, his food counter goes down gradually when he isn´t eating...
    * Increase the price / decrease the properties of the ranch buildings: limited number of slimes per corral, less productive crops, smaller silos...
Obviously, I know this is still an alpha, and perhaps with future updates these changes don´t make sense, but this would be roughly my opinion about the challenge and results. Maybe I´ll change something in the future.

PSD: sry about my english. I´m spanish, you can see that ^^'
SlimeRancherESP
Chickadoo

Postby Lyrina25 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Hm, I would have to disagree with just one thing with your statement, SlimeRancherESP. The smaller silos and less productive crops. At least until we get a bigger ranch upgrade at least.

Though, I'd like to second the limited amount of slimes per corral, and add the suggestion that the auto-feeders put out food at a slower rate. (When you only have five largos per corral, the food ends up sitting and rotting, and when you have honeyboom largos, it's dangerous to go collect it.)
I am the dog, hound of hell you cry. Devil on your back, I can never die.
Lyrina25
Rancher

Postby SlimeRancherESP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Lyrina25 wrote:Hm, I would have to disagree with just one thing with your statement, SlimeRancherESP. The smaller silos and less productive crops. At least until we get a bigger ranch upgrade at least.

Though, I'd like to second the limited amount of slimes per corral, and add the suggestion that the auto-feeders put out food at a slower rate. (When you only have five largos per corral, the food ends up sitting and rotting, and when you have honeyboom largos, it's dangerous to go collect it.)

Spending 250 for the garden and 350+500 for upgrades (1100), you guarantee 30 (e.g.) pogo fruits per day. Enough to feed 15 slimes every day.

The auto feeders, in my opinion, are useles. Just thow the food inside the corral and the slimes will eat it when they´re hungry. It´s better to spend the money in plort collector.
SlimeRancherESP
Chickadoo

Postby DaniTGW » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm always down for a challenge. I think my strategy is pretty fool proof ^.=.^
DaniTGW
Plort

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Well, my hands feel like cancer, so I'll continue later. Or tomorrow. oldladyhands
So far, I am on day 8 with a bit more than 20000 newbucks. I imagine it'll pick up the pace, because I have 3 gardens growing mint mangos and 3 corrals with 6 honey boom largos each.
I have purchased 2 corrals, 3 high walls, 3 plort collectors, 3 gardens, and 3 sprinklers.
I only bought the plort collectors because I kept getting knocked out while trying to collect plorts.
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby Maryse » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 pm

I missed 12 days not by a lot!
I have:
  • 5 corrals with 10 Honey Boom Largos each.
  • 1 corral with 10 Tabby Rock Largos.
  • A pond with 15 Puddle Slimes.
(All of these corrals have high walls, plort collector and air net)
I bought the Overgrowth and the Grotto.

The Grotto has probably 20 or less Phosphor Honey Largos.

I have 8 gardens with nutrient soil and sprinkler. 2 of those are Cuberries, 1 is Heart Beet, 4 are Mint Mangoes, 1 is not in use.

I found one gold slime (first time seeing one in game too!).

I bought 2 tank expansions, 1 energy expansion and the speed boots one, I keep forgetting what it's called. No jetpack.

I defeated the Pink Gordo, Phosphor Gordo and Tabby Gordo.

I think this might be all.
This was fun! :)
Maryse
Plort

Next

Return to General Discussion