Painted stuff (food, slimes, resources etc.)

A place to show the Monomi Park community your fan art and other creations

Painted stuff (food, slimes, resources etc.)

Postby rabbitslime » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I was thinking of an idea where the player can grind plorts into paint to color whatever they want, so long as its an entity and is not part of the terrain. Each plort has a color, like puddle being light blue, rock being blue, quantum being yellow, etc. For nonexistent colors, one can mash up two or more plorts.

Some examples are:
A rock slime that is black, like a slime made out of obsidian or basalt
A yellow mint mango by spraying a mint mango tree with yellow paint, which causes the fruit it produces to be yellow. The tree also gets a minor tint of yellow
A pink slime that looks like a standard happy emoji
An oca oca painted to masque-raid a gilded ginger.

Basically this is a one up of the implemented chroma packs. For the data involved, one could just have the rgb color depict what color style each entity has, and its color intensity, from a slightly reddish tint to a quantum slime to outright re-shading a color of a pink slime.
rabbitslime
Rancher

Re: Painted stuff (food, slimes, resources etc.)

Postby EmeraldPlay » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:33 am

Nice idea.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:07 am

Interesting idea, but it would seem difficult to maintain FPS as each object would need its own RGB tag.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby rabbitslime » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 pm

The data would only be created if the player paints a target, and I think it would have an rgb tag and a percentile shading, like a small hue shift to a pure color change. Once an item is painted, it can be overridden by another paint.
One would have to implement the gadget and the paint, which would be a colored viscous liquid. Tarr also can't be painted cause of this. Paint can only be collected if the water tank is empty and 10 sprays is the most change it can do to an entity.
I think a ratio of one plort to one shot of paint would be good... maybe for the gold it would be one to ten or something. One would have to implement some sort of "tarr plort" for coloring stuff black. If this is eaten by a slime, it will turn instantaneously into a tarr.
rabbitslime
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:38 am

I've already commented on your tarr plort idea, so I'll abstain from noting it here.

This system would mean that most computers would only be able to manage about 70ish painted items at a time, which is not a great deal in Slime Rancher. Spawning coloured fruit would also be a nightmare; the tree would have to constantly check which shade it was painted - whether it is painted or not - to ensure that it releases the right fruit, unless you propose having the painted farm separate from the unpainted one, adding space for file corruption.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby rabbitslime » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:54 am

I believe this idea of mine would be more suitable in a very far future update...

Note that highest computer's OS used to be a 16 bit, then it became a 32 bit. Years later it would be a 64 bit... I think this setting would be applicable if the computer's OS is a 256 bit. Which would be 30+ years from now, by then SR would have a lot more content.
rabbitslime
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:56 am

rabbitslime wrote:I believe this idea of mine would be more suitable in a very far future update...

Note that highest computer's OS used to be a 16 bit, then it became a 32 bit. Years later it would be a 64 bit... I think this setting would be applicable if the computer's OS is a 256 bit. Which would be 30+ years from now, by then SR would have a lot more content.

The size of electronics is limited by the fact that at a certain size electrons simply phase through objects, meaning that 32 q-bit machines will likely take over instead. But sure.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 am

I don't think it would be as resource intensive as you think it would be.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Return to Creative