[Slime Suggestion] Quantum Slime

A place to show the Monomi Park community your fan art and other creations

[Slime Suggestion] Quantum Slime

Postby z0mbiesrock » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:04 am

Plort Starting value: 50

Usual Habitat: Ancient Crash Site (Area has not been implemented yet)

No image at the moment

Quantum Slime
(Near-transparent blue slime with a cyan-colored vortex core.)

Joke/Pun:
At least it doesn't carry bread.*

Diet:
Fruit

Favorite:
Ash Lemon

Slimeology:
These enigmatic slimes have evaded ranchers for so long. Quantum slimes are able to teleport randomly, using this ability to help them get to food, shelter, or safety. Their entire biochemistry is a mystery, because teleportation is believed to only occur at the smallest of all possible scales: quantum superstrings. Apparently, these slimes have figured out how to siphon every atom of their existence through these nanoscopic wormholes, and use it as a means of transportation and escape.

Risks:
Being able to teleport randomly, quantum slimes can easily escape almost any form of containment simply by teleporting. The more moody individuals can even teleport out of a rancher's vacpack unscathed! Ranchers will need some form of quantum suppressor to keep quantum slimes and their plorts from teleporting into trouble.

Quantum plorts also teleport like the slimes themselves, and the plorts can teleport themselves into the paths of other slimes, causing unintended largos or worse...

Plortonomics:
Quantum Plorts are a key ingredient in making human-sized teleporters and starship hyperdrives. They require expert stabilization practices in order to be usable, or else the plorts can provoke "unforseen consequences" that can either jeopardize the human individual, or the entire human race.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Re: [Slime Suggestion] Quantum Slime

Postby DeltaStorm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:14 am

Quantum means incredibly small, like the size of an atom, so this entire thing is not valid at all. Quantum Physics is just really physics on Atoms where they 'quantum tunnel' and etc. Quantum tunneling is just an atom teleporting, as physics don't make sense in this tunnel. But do you really want to do this on a mass scale quickly? Good luck, you're only going to be there 1 atom at a time.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Explosions also don't work that way (re: Boom Slimes), but a teleporting slime would be neat. Maybe a different name, though.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Biosaur » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:Quantum means incredibly small,

Actually, it means "An amount"

@OP
I like this idea, and the way it works, but this slime's random nature probably gonna make someone really frustrated. I would suggest making it's teleportation more predictable in some way, like only teleporting when close enough to food it wants or something. In my opinion, the more unique and interesting slimes this game has, the better, and this one definitely fits the bill. :D
Last edited by Biosaur on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slime poop is valuable, use it wisely
Biosaur
Chickadoo

Postby spacepuffin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:23 pm

This sounds like a cool idea! (Gameplay-wise) but I think just having a "quantum supressor" (which would literally be breaking the law of physics?) is kind of boring. This concept of random teleportation sounds like a fun, frustrating mechanic, and I think it has a lot of potential.
- Spacepuffin
spacepuffin
Chickadoo

Postby spacepuffin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:26 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:Quantum means incredibly small, like the size of an atom,

...... I'm not quite sure that's accurate.....
- Spacepuffin
spacepuffin
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:50 pm

spacepuffin wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:Quantum means incredibly small, like the size of an atom,

...... I'm not quite sure that's accurate.....

A quantum is the smallest amount of physical stuff-ness that can interact, which would be anything on the scale of an atom or smaller. Quantum mechanics is the field of physics describing how weird things get on that scale, but you can't apply quantum mechanics to large objects.

The joke no-one gets about the Schroedinger's Cat thought experiment is that, no, the cat isn't actually in both states at once; it is already either alive or dead. The cat is far too big for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle to apply. The same thing applies to quantum tunneling.

... And, really, the Minute Physics video explains it way better than I do, so, uh, here.

I still really like the idea of a teleporting slime, though.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Biosaur wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:Quantum means incredibly small,

Actually, it means "An amount"

https://gyazo.com/f7353704d40fc5e0e78611513f11b0f1

Learn before you speak, it's a useful skill.

And I agree with Pig for once on something, science!

But if we're going to assume this games works on pseudeo-science then they're gonna need to to stretch that term until it becomes a ripped up pillow. A natural teleporting slime is just not possible, even in fantasy it shouldn't happen, because does it make sense what is basically just some yummy jelly can teleport like a mad man? No.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:42 pm

We've got machines that transmit slime poop/slime poop products to Earth, a planet 1000 lightyears away. Warp drives are a conceit of the setting.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Wonda » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:20 pm

Sometimes, it is uncertain to tell if it moved or not.

Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby z0mbiesrock » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:40 pm

To dissipate any further debate:

"Quantum", in the sense of the slime's name, refers to "Quantum Tunneling"
"Quantum Tunneling" refers to the quantum mechanical phenomenon where a particle tunnels through a barrier that it classically could not surmount.
Basically, it's how (subatomic) matter can break the light barrier. Now scale that mechanic to a 2-foot-tall amorphous alien, and now the name makes more sense.

The summary joke references the "Love and War" TF2 update trailer where bread supposedly mutates when teleported.

The "unforseen consequences" mentioned in the "Plortonomics" section reference the Black Mesa Incident from Half-Life.
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby spacepuffin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:41 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:Quantum means incredibly small, like the size of an atom, so this entire thing is not valid at all. Quantum Physics is just really physics on Atoms where they 'quantum tunnel' and etc. Quantum tunneling is just an atom teleporting, as physics don't make sense in this tunnel. But do you really want to do this on a mass scale quickly? Good luck, you're only going to be there 1 atom at a time.

1. "Quantum means incredibly small" - Google, "define quantum": "a discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents." - No reference to size
2. "like the size of an atom" - generally smaller than atom scale
3. "physics on atoms" - what does that even mean... isn't classical physics also physics on atoms, and more?
4. "quantum tunneling is ... teleporting" - Quantum tunneling is neither A. instantaneous (or faster-than-light), as the word "teleporting" implies; nor B. applicable at the scale of atoms.
5. "teleporting" - Wikipedia, "Quantum teleportation": "Although the name is inspired by the teleportation commonly used in fiction, there is no relationship outside the name, because quantum teleportation concerns only the transfer of information. Quantum teleportation is not a form of transportation, but of communication; it provides a way of transporting a qubit from one location to another, without having to move a physical particle along with it."
5. "as physics don't make sense" - well, quantum physics is also physics is it not?
6. "in this tunnel" - There is no real "tunnel" involved in quantum tunneling
7. "on a mass scale" - Again, what does this even mean? By "mass scale" do you mean the scale at which energies become mass? That's the only possible meaning I can think of, and that's not really applicable to anything.
8. "quickly" - Time is relative.
9. "1 atom at a time" - A. Again, "time" is relative; B. Again, atoms are not quantum particles; C. There is no factor limiting anything to a single particle; D. In fact, quantum particles often behave as waves [i.e. indefinite and not whole number quantities (i.e. cannot be counted)], especially in the context of quantum tunneling.
- Spacepuffin
spacepuffin
Chickadoo

Postby Biosaur » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:46 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:Learn before you speak, it's a useful skill.

1. Just because you pulled up a picture on the internet doesn't mean that it's true
2. This particular picture say what i said "a quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction.
3. You are probably the most cruel, heartless person on this forum, picking on people's smallest mistakes and making a big fuss about it. Maybe you should be learning (How to be nice) before you speak. It's a useful skill.
Slime poop is valuable, use it wisely
Biosaur
Chickadoo

Postby z0mbiesrock » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:22 am

Nick wrote:This is the creative board. The most stifling thing to creativity is empty criticism that adds nothing to the conversation and only serves to draw attention to the one spouting it.

Let's be better and not do that.
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:23 am

spacepuffin wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:Quantum means incredibly small, like the size of an atom, so this entire thing is not valid at all. Quantum Physics is just really physics on Atoms where they 'quantum tunnel' and etc. Quantum tunneling is just an atom teleporting, as physics don't make sense in this tunnel. But do you really want to do this on a mass scale quickly? Good luck, you're only going to be there 1 atom at a time.

1. "Quantum means incredibly small" - Google, "define quantum": "a discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents." - No reference to size
2. "like the size of an atom" - generally smaller than atom scale
3. "physics on atoms" - what does that even mean... isn't classical physics also physics on atoms, and more?
4. "quantum tunneling is ... teleporting" - Quantum tunneling is neither A. instantaneous (or faster-than-light), as the word "teleporting" implies; nor B. applicable at the scale of atoms.
5. "teleporting" - Wikipedia, "Quantum teleportation": "Although the name is inspired by the teleportation commonly used in fiction, there is no relationship outside the name, because quantum teleportation concerns only the transfer of information. Quantum teleportation is not a form of transportation, but of communication; it provides a way of transporting a qubit from one location to another, without having to move a physical particle along with it."
5. "as physics don't make sense" - well, quantum physics is also physics is it not?
6. "in this tunnel" - There is no real "tunnel" involved in quantum tunneling
7. "on a mass scale" - Again, what does this even mean? By "mass scale" do you mean the scale at which energies become mass? That's the only possible meaning I can think of, and that's not really applicable to anything.
8. "quickly" - Time is relative.
9. "1 atom at a time" - A. Again, "time" is relative; B. Again, atoms are not quantum particles; C. There is no factor limiting anything to a single particle; D. In fact, quantum particles often behave as waves [i.e. indefinite and not whole number quantities (i.e. cannot be counted)], especially in the context of quantum tunneling.

1. Strange how that is one of the definitions, huh? Do some digging, it may tell you that I used a defintion of a word, oh and don't use the top defintion, it can be edited like wikipedia, searc through most of the sites you see when you search it, you'll see that quantum is a way to describe size as well.

2. The Atom was just an example to show how small it could be (But I do stand corrected), thanks for just proving my point further though!

3. I should have worded that better, but what I meant is quantum mechanics do stuff within the atom, or outside of it.

4-5 I stand corrected, fair enough.

6. Physics don't make sense when a particle goes through quantum tunneling, our real world physics do not work there.

7. Yes let me not describe the process in easy terms.

8. Mass scale just means a big amount.
It's a saying.

9. Refer to 7.

10. You proved my point still how this slime cannot teleport around.

z0mbiesrock wrote:To dissipate any further debate:

"Quantum", in the sense of the slime's name, refers to "Quantum Tunneling"
"Quantum Tunneling" refers to the quantum mechanical phenomenon where a particle tunnels through a barrier that it classically could not surmount.
Basically, it's how (subatomic) matter can break the light barrier. Now scale that mechanic to a 2-foot-tall amorphous alien, and now the name makes more sense.

The summary joke references the "Love and War" TF2 update trailer where bread supposedly mutates when teleported.

The "unforseen consequences" mentioned in the "Plortonomics" section reference the Black Mesa Incident from Half-Life.

1. Like my friend said below you, particles do not = atoms. So they can never teleport anyways.

2. You can't do it on a mass scale because atoms can't quantum tunnel.

3. A fellow TF2 fan. I like.

4. Do not care about half-life.

Biosaur wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:Learn before you speak, it's a useful skill.

1. Just because you pulled up a picture on the internet doesn't mean that it's true
2. This particular picture say what i said "a quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction.
3. You are probably the most cruel, heartless person on this forum, picking on people's smallest mistakes and making a big fuss about it. Maybe you should be learning (How to be nice) before you speak. It's a useful skill.

1. Do your own research then.

2. refer to the first response.

3. Boohoo, I criticize peoples ideas (Although the 'cringe' thing was not criticism I just did not like the fappel thing). And also I do not care how cruel I come across, because I do not. If I made a really offensive joke, and you think i'm a heartless monster, I don't care, I found it funny.

----------

Also Zombie, this is full criticism, not empty. My 'cringe' comment was what he referring to, which was empty criticism, this isn't.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: DeltaStorm: And now you're derailing the thread with a huge post that adds nothing you haven't already said about the slime, and is mostly just perpetuating an argument.

Teleportation is already in the game. You have already established that you don't like the "quantum tunneling" handwave for teleportation. At this point, either suggest a way the OP could improve it, or rest. This is a place for constructive criticism and discussion.

Re: Teleporting Slime: Personally, I think dropping the quantum mechanics angle and calling it something like "Blink Slime" or some other evocative, non-sciency name would make this slime fit into the setting a bit better, and remove the need to explain an aspect of the setting that is already taken for granted.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Urby » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:18 pm

Bonus for having a Blink slime: You can make jokes about it crawling in the night and making "Bamf" noises :D
3D modeler, doodler, and video game designer.
Mole Slime
Urby
Rancher

Postby jason60056 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:35 pm

uhhh..
The teleporting out of the vac pack is hard unless there is a teleport upgrade for the corrals
jason60056
Plort

Return to Creative