Ideas for Slime Rancher!

A place to show the Monomi Park community your fan art and other creations

Ideas for Slime Rancher!

Postby UnduGT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am

Hello Monomi Park!

I had some great Ideas for Slime Rancher that I want to present you!

Farm Collector!
It would be very cool if there was a Farm Collector that collects the Fruits, Vegetables etc. on the Garden. Like the Plort-Collector that collect Plorts.

Storage Upgrades!
A Nice feature would be some kind of Storage Upgrades that can be build in the Lab. These Upgrades would be for Plort-Collector, Auto-Feeder, Silo and other future things!

Better Silos!
It would be really useful if you could upgrade the Silo more, or if you could place Silos on the Machine Plots, because there so much Items and you have not enough Space to store them all!

Better Lab!
A Nice thing would be if you couldn't simply buy something in the Lab. Instead of that you had to research things, and to do that you have to pay some Money and Ingredients and than wait for example 7 Game-Days or something. And then you could create that machine!

More Variations!
If Point 4 would be a Feature than it would be cool if you could research Designs for your Corral, Garden, Pond etc.

More Automation!
A Cool Idea would be if you could Automate your Farms and others but to do that you need to play for a long time and explore and collect a bunch of things!

That was some of my Ideas for Slime Rancher! I really hope to see something like that in Slime Rancher!

-Undu Guten
UnduGT
Plort

Re: Ideas for Slime Rancher!

Postby Raxel920 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:43 pm

1. I would like that too.

2. Maybe, but I don't really have a problem with those.

3. Same as #2.

4. Maybe, but 7 days seems like way too long - maybe the max could be 1 or 2 days.

5. That would be awesome!

6. What exactly do you mean by this?

Nice ideas!
Raxel920
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Nice ideas!
Welcome to the forums.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby akkamaddi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Farm Collector!
It would be very cool if there was a Farm Collector that collects the Fruits, Vegetables etc. on the Garden. Like the Plort-Collector that collect Plorts.

I’ve been peeking into this forum and the Steam forum for a while now. It’s my understanding that part of the “Rancher” part of the game is about time, resource, and effort management. Tending your garden is part of the time and effort part. There is a plort collector for slime pens because some slimes are actively or passively harmful. So far, fruits and veggies don’t try to hurt you.

That said, I would love this. I would even add to this and say that I would like a plort collector for ponds, and both a plort collector and food silo for the ash pit. (There would actually be more of an argument for the last one, as fire slimes hurt you.)

If there is a conflict of “ranching should have actual ranching stuff”, the upgrades could be tied to 7Zee levels. (I would place them in the 15z-20z range.) By that point you have already demonstrated you can farm, and “put in your time”. Also, a society that has interstellar travel and commerce could surely make a vacuum cleaner suck up carrots.

Storage Upgrades!
A Nice feature would be some kind of Storage Upgrades that can be build in the Lab. These Upgrades would be for Plort-Collector, Auto-Feeder, Silo and other future things!

Do you mean larger storage?

To point #1, what I remember reading is that in ranching, space is treated as a resource, just as anything else, and must be carefully allocated as such. As I understand it, the intent from the beginning was to keep space limited enough to make the player make decisions and allocate appropriately.

The more you have, the less you can hold, and the more you can hold, the less you have.

My feelings are mixed. The only storage limits I have regularly hit are on the plort collector. I only have two storage silos, but I would have to sacrifice something to get more storage.

Better Silos!
It would be really useful if you could upgrade the Silo more, or if you could place Silos on the Machine Plots, because there so much Items and you have not enough Space to store them all!

Something I learned from “let’s play” videos of this game is that you can use a pair of Warp Depots to store a single resource. The Warp Depots also make the resource available in two places.

Better Lab!
A Nice thing would be if you couldn't simply buy something in the Lab. Instead of that you had to research things, and to do that you have to pay some Money and Ingredients and than wait for example 7 Game-Days or something. And then you could create that machine!

I love a game with a rich and robust research system, but this game took a much simpler approach. Here, you either find or buy blueprints, and you’re done.

I think the easiest way to add research would be to develop a way to research a new version of an existing machine, if you have enough kinds of that machine.

For example, with the extractors:
When the player has the Novice and Advanced model of the extractor and has used each at least once, the player can initiate research on the “Adept” Extractor. The research costs X credits and YZ plorts, and completes in 32-40 in-game hours. The Adept model lasts 6 cycles, with a slightly higher chance of rare resources than the Advanced.

When the player has the Novice, Advanced, and Master models of an extractor, the player can research the “Independence” Extractor. The Independence model functions exactly as the Advanced model, but has a built in warp depot to the Refinery. Resources extracted are moved to the Refinery automatically three times, then the unit cleanly self-destructs, with no user interaction.

For the Farm:
The vegetable collector could become available when four fully-built gardens are on the Ranch. The water plort collector when four ponds are build. The incinerator enhancements after two incinerators with ash troughs are built.

For Warp Tech:
Have “Prestige Colors” that are a mix of three, such as Perl (Red, Green, Blue), Tanzanite (Berry, Violet, Grey), and Marcasite (Cocoa, Gray, and Amber). When you get three of the same tech item that make the complete set for the prestige color, you can begin research on that device in the prestige color. So, if you get a Red Warp Depot, a Green Warp Depot, and a Blue Warp Depot, you can research the Perl Warp Depot.

Decorations:
There could be many possible “acquire A, B, and C to unlock X”. Especially for lava lamps. I love the lava lamps and would love a dozen more. :-)

This would be a pretty significant change to game mechanics, though, but it would be a good way to introduce new tech in future versions.

These things should also be entirely optional. As the game is now, you can get to the end of the map largely ignoring 7Zee and doing very little ranching. I’m not sure if you “need” the jet pack upgrades to get to the glass desert (but it really helps). Research should be the same way. A few extra extractors, a Marcasite Warp Gate, and a Watermelon Lava Lamp would be cool to have, but you could play the game and win without if that’s not your thing.

More Variations!
If Point 4 would be a Feature than it would be cool if you could research Designs for your Corral, Garden, Pond etc.

A “Moss Fen” or “Desert Oasis” Pond would be amazing and a decoration in themselves.

Chroma Packs can already change the colors of your ranch equipment. However, re-textured area-themed versions would be very cool. I think the Pond would benefit the most from this (visually), but having a themed farm could be an interesting future enhancement.

More Automation!
A Cool Idea would be if you could Automate your Farms and others but to do that you need to play for a long time and explore and collect a bunch of things!

This gets into the “time and effort are a resource, manage them” mentality of the game.

That said, farming drones late in the game would really change the game. I would definitely do a lot more roaming. If you want the 7Zee levels, you have to spend a lot of time circling your farm to gather crops, feed, gather plorts, sell, lather, rinse, repeat.

akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby ToxicStarFox » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I would like all of those but my main concern is, that you can repair the broken teleporter in the glass desert. You'd have to learn the technology the portals use, like in the lab, you wait a selected amount of days to finish the research. This teleporter could teleport the player to a different biome, like a desert with dunes, or a plains area.

The other idea I have is farming bots or exploring bots. They can help you find stuff, or help with the farm. There would be commands that the player can chose, you can make it patrol the farm, once you've chosen the command patrol you can make a path for it to follow.

The third idea is upgrading the lab, adding storage to it, or adding more machines.

The last idea is base building. IMA leave it at just base building.

Those are my idea's. I love the game. I Hope some of the ideas come.
ToxicStarFox
Plort

Postby zm78 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 pm

#6 more automation!

well... drones that automate the ranch coming in v1.2.0
(dev roadmap)
Those ears, That coin, That wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
zm78
Rancher

Return to Creative