Piffy's Pixels

A place to show the Monomi Park community your fan art and other creations

Piffy's Pixels

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:46 am

Here's my first attempt at mimicking the Slimepedia style. I usually work outline-first, but putting down color blobs and refining them seems to work better here. Not really taking requests at the moment, but I might work on suggestions when my wrist isn't angry at me. I'll add more pics to this post as they're made.

Image Image
Deep Slime: Look at this cute cannibal cuttlebug.

ImageImage
Leafy Slime and Wilty Slime: Tall, thin Leafy Slimes turn into very squat, flat, unhappy Wilty Slimes in the dark.
Last edited by Pigcatapult on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Re: Piffy's Pixels

Postby Azreide » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:11 am

I'd say it looks really great other than the visable, slightly jagged lines. But that's probably just a resolution thing, and it's minor, either way.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:38 am

Yeah, I'll be the first one to admit that I'm awful at anti-aliasing and usually don't try. And this is right about the scale where anti-aliasing starts becoming important, since you can have big stretches of line at an angle that pixels get awkward in.

Might try anti-aliasing it tomorrow. It'd be good practice. I just hope it doesn't end up too blurry from overdoing it.

... This will definitely mess up my low color count. XD I'm gonna need at least four between colors.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Azreide » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:50 am

If you have it, use Adobe Illustrator. It works in vector and can be resized to any size without it being blurry, jagged or whatever. Just export is as a JPEG at any size you want, easy to make alterations.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:31 pm

I don't have Adobe Illustrator, and tbh I don't really like working with vectors. I strongly prefer doing pixel art, because it lets me have a level of control I can't normally get with my hands.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 pm

As far as I'm aware, pixel art doesn't usually involve anti-aliasing, though I've only worked with pixel art in much smaller forms (typically 60p x 60p). I think it's adorable! Would love to see more of these. :D
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby KitsuneRyo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:06 pm

D'awwww, it's so durn cute, Pig!! I'd love to have a tank of these!!
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:30 am

Updated the OP. Sometimes anti-aliasing is added to large pixel art pieces by hand to make it look smoother. It's really difficult to get right. >_<

Dithering is hard, too, but basic checkerboarding isn't too bad.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Biosaur » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:43 pm

I think it looks great, except that in the slimepedia, the slime portraits are made to fit in a square, so it would fit in the vac-pack box. The leafy and wilty slimes look cool, but it would be nice if you put them in poses that fit in a square better :D
Slime poop is valuable, use it wisely
Biosaur
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Biosaur wrote:I think it looks great, except that in the slimepedia, the slime portraits are made to fit in a square, so it would fit in the vac-pack box. The leafy and wilty slimes look cool, but it would be nice if you put them in poses that fit in a square better :D

Ah! I do make them in a 200x200 canvas, but then I crop the image when I'm done. I wanted to emphasise the posture difference between the two forms. Hmm. I guess if the leaves were bigger and placed differently?

Hmm. I'll have to work on that!

Edit: OH. A more dynamic pose! *smacks forehead* Yes I shall try that.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby OMGZombehs » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:57 am

Pigcatapult wrote:Updated the OP. Sometimes anti-aliasing is added to large pixel art pieces by hand to make it look smoother. It's really difficult to get right. >_<

Dithering is hard, too, but basic checkerboarding isn't too bad.

So true! I've always really admired pixel art, but daaaang. Have you checked out pixeljoint.com? It's a pixel-art gallery site/community. Some really serious stuff there. o.o
Whee! Whoa! Woo hoo!
OMGZombehs
Rancher

Return to Creative