Controller not recognised

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Controller not recognised

Postby RafiRomero » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 am

Hi,

I have a "Linx Vision 8 inch Tablet with Xbox Controller":
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0187U2M1O

I'm running Slime Rancher from Steam on 32-bit Windows 10 (fully updated, as far as I'm aware).
The integrated controller does not seem to be recognised by the game. Nothing at all happens when I try to use any of the controls, either from the initial menu or from within the game itself.
The controller identifies itself in Joy.cpl as:
Controller (Vision Controller System(Console Mode)).
It works just fine in other games (Stardew Valley, Crimzon Clover, Chaos Reborn (another Unity game)).
If I connect a wired XBOX One controller to the tablet, that works fine too.
(The game runs fine on my various other devices with wireless 360 and One controllers).
RafiRomero
Chickadoo

Re: Controller not recognised

Postby RafiRomero » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:38 am

Well, as a workaround, if I run from Steam Big Picture and enable XBOX 360 controller support (people with other controllers may need to enable generic support), it works (Steam recognizes my built-in controller as a 360 controller (the game itself doesn't), and uses the same technique as with the Steam Controller to "trick" the game into using it). Steam's typically a bit glitchy getting set up, but once it's going, it seems fine.
RafiRomero
Chickadoo

Re: Controller not recognised

Postby RafiRomero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 am

So what I actually have to do to get this to work:
Configure Steam Big Picture to enable XBOX 360 controller support (other gamepads may require enabling of "generic" gamepad support); configure the game in big picture so Steam will use it's steam-controller-style-magic with my "360" controller; quit out of big picture (cos it doesn't work) and then run the game from regular non-big-picture Steam. Then turn thrice, widdershins ;)
I then touch nothing ever again, not going to start experimenting:D
Good news is, 1.0 runs really nicely on this tablet now.
RafiRomero
Chickadoo

Return to Technical Support