[BUG] "Gadget Mode" broken on Steam Controller

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

[BUG] "Gadget Mode" broken on Steam Controller

Postby ltatkinson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi there, this issue was reported on Steam but I can also confirm following the on-screen prompt to "Press X to Toggle Gadget Mode" does not work when using the Steam Controller:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/433340/di ... 5142131735

The "X" button works fine in all other areas of the game, tested on Ubuntu 16.04.2 (Linux) with Slime Rancher 0.5.0b.

The current workaround is to press "T" on the keyboard to toggle "Gadget Mode", interestingly the mapping on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox controllers is different and uses the "Down" button on the d-pad instead rather than "X"... perhaps this is the problem?

Let me know if you require any further information, thanks.
ltatkinson
Plort

Re: [BUG] "Gadget Mode" broken on Steam Controller

Postby Paul » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi there,

Could you please let us know which Steam Controller config you're using? We updated the official profile, but if you've made any further customization it seems that Steam doesn't always pull the update properly. In this case the missing gadget mode can often be restored by re-selecting the official profile.
Paul
Admin

Postby ltatkinson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 am

Paul wrote:Could you please let us know which Steam Controller config you're using? We updated the official profile, but if you've made any further customization it seems that Steam doesn't always pull the update properly.

Hi Paul, thanks for updating Monomi's Steam Controller profile, I can confirm the "Official Configuration for Slime Rancher" now works as expected regarding the "Gadget Mode". That said I'm not sure if the in-game prompt still suggests "Press X to Toggle Gadget Mode" as I've not seen it since.

As an aside while the Steam Controller behaviour is now consistent with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox controllers I've noticed another 2 potential oversights:

• Currently the Steam Controller triggers only respond to a "Full Pull" action (click) but should use "Soft Pull" instead as this feels more natural when compared with other controllers.
  • By default the Xbox controllers appear to invert the "Look" direction ("Thumbstick Up" is "Look Up") but both the PlayStation 4 and Steam Controllers do not ("Thumbstick Up" is "Look Down"). I'd argue the Xbox mapping is preferable by default.
Let me know if you require any further information, many thanks in advance.
ltatkinson
Plort

Postby zm78 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:33 pm

did you unlock the lab???

it didn't work for me until i got "the lab" extension.
Those ears, That coin, That wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
zm78
Rancher

Postby ltatkinson » Mon May 08, 2017 12:08 am

zm78 wrote:it didn't work for me until i got "the lab" extension.

Yep, you'll need to unlock "The Lab" area to gain access to "Gadget Mode".

Hope that helps.
Last edited by ltatkinson on Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ltatkinson
Plort

Postby ltatkinson » Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 am

ltatkinson wrote:I've noticed another 2 potential oversights:

• Currently the Steam Controller triggers only respond to a "Full Pull" action (click) but should use "Soft Pull" instead as this feels more natural when compared with other controllers.
  • By default the Xbox controllers appear to invert the "Look" direction ("Thumbstick Up" is "Look Up") but both the PlayStation 4 and Steam Controllers do not ("Thumbstick Up" is "Look Down"). I'd argue the Xbox mapping is preferable by default.

Hi guys/gals, any update on these issues?

Many thanks as always.
ltatkinson
Plort

Return to Technical Support