Isn't Playable on Windows XP

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Isn't Playable on Windows XP

Postby ilioth » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:43 pm

I bought this for my niece, and she tried playing it on Steam on her Windows XP machine. It was not successful, it crashes immediately on startup, you barely even catch a glimpse of the main splash screen. I'm listing her specs below. I was going to attach the logs, but I can't figure out which extensions are allowed (dang extension filtering...). The output_log.txt looks like the most helpful from a developer standpoint (I am a software and unity developer, so I have some reference here), so I'll just post a snippet of that after the Specs. If you need the full error logs, send me an email or message and I can provide them.

System properties:
Lenovo Thinkpad
XP SP3 pro
2.4ghz intel core 2 duo processor
3 GB ram
DirectX 9.0c
DirectDraw true
Direct3D true
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset

output_log.txt

(Filename: Line: 882)

Function __thiscall SoundHandle::Instance::~Instance(void) may only be called from main thread!

(Filename: Line: 25)

Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for resource sharedassets0.resource, (This command failed because System::init or System::setDriver was not called. )

<<... removed content ...>>

UnloadTime: 25.186161 ms
Joystick Names:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

InputManager.Platform MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3 32BIT 741722U (LENOVO)

<<... removed content ...>>

(Filename: Line: 16)

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/AudioSource.cpp(1674) : Error executing m_wetGroup->addDSP(dsp, 0) (DSP connection error. Couldn't find the DSP unit specified. )

(Filename: Line: 16)

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 1c78 -> priority: 1
InvalidOperationException: Steamworks is not initialized.
at Steamworks.InteropHelp.TestIfAvailableClient () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Steamworks.SteamController.Shutdown () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SteamDirector.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Crash!!!

<<..... removed content ....>>

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

0x00895AB1 (SlimeRancher) RegisterModule_Audio
0x00872A29 (SlimeRancher) TransferBase::EndMetaGroup
0x0042AC52 (SlimeRancher) Object::InitializeAllClasses
0x00627356 (SlimeRancher) PluginCallbackArray1<enum UnityGfxDeviceEventType>::Invoke
0x00627760 (SlimeRancher) PluginCallbackArray1<enum UnityGfxDeviceEventType>::Invoke
0x006C17BF (SlimeRancher) Append
0x006C40AE (SlimeRancher) PlayerWinMain
0x00ABE478 (SlimeRancher) RemapPPtrTransfer::TransferTypelessData
0x00AEDB88 (SlimeRancher) RemapPPtrTransfer::TransferTypelessData

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! ****
ilioth
Plort

Re: Isn't Playable on Windows XP

Postby moomin74 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:45 am

I would say this is likely more an issue with the laptop's graphics card not supporting the game rather than it running Windows XP. I think Slime Rancher needs a GPU with at leadt 512mb memory. The one in that laptop may be too old to play the game. To be honest, I have a Lenovo thinkpad x230 with 8gb ram and an intel hd4000 gpu. I think the system is able to allocate up to 1gb memory for the GPU. I am able to run Slime Rancher, but it is laggy at times. So I would recommend a PC with dedicated graphics for best performance.
moomin74
Rancher

Postby Lantern » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:42 pm

My game doesn't crash on start-up, thankfully, but it does crash while I'm in the middle of playing it. I have Win XP and a dedicated graphics card so I dunno what's happening. Despite the auto-save feature it does get awfully annoying to the point where I'm afraid to play the game how it was intended for fear of another "NOPE I'M DONE" crash episode. Before the Slime Science update, the game would run peachy for me. I could run it all day and not experience a crash problem like this at any point in time. Now I can't play even 2 hours in without the game saying "NUH-UH" and crashing. I don't even have anything above 2 slime corrals (full of slimes) and 2 gardens. I dunno what to do.

I really, really dunno what to do. It's stumping me.
Light the way.
Lantern
Rancher

Postby Paul » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi there,

It looks like Windows XP is not the cause of the game misbehaving. It's actually that the FMOD sound system the game uses can't get the proper system resources from the currently installed sound driver. Thankfully this can usually be resolved by updating or re-installing the current sound driver. Normally your original PC manufacturer will have the history of sound drivers for your specific PC archived on their support and download site.
Paul
Admin

Return to Technical Support