Video Freezing (in v0.3.7)

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Video Freezing (in v0.3.7)

Postby programmercereal11 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:24 am

The video keeps freezing in the game, and I am not sure why, or how to fix it. It freezes after about 2-5 minutes being in the game. Only the video freezes, the game keeps going, but I cannot see it, as the video is frozen. I manage to push the save and quit button when it freezes, because it is at the bottom of the screen in the Escape menu. When I get to the title screen (I can tell because of the sounds of the title screen) I use the Task Manager to close it. It freezes after what seems like a set amount of time, even on the main menu. I have a Dell laptop, with Windows 10 operating system, an intel Core i3 processor, and I have many other games on it. What else do you need to know about the problem?
programmercereal11
Plort

Re: Video Freezing (in v0.3.7)

Postby Paul » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Hello,

If you could post or link to a copy of the output_log file the game generates that would be very helpful. If the log file is too long to easily post here I'd recommend using a service like Pastebin and linking to the text.

By default the output_log file will be found here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Slime Rancher\SlimeRancher_Data\output_log.txt

Also, could you please give some more detailed information about your laptop's specs? Specifically the Processor model, installed RAM and video card.

The first two can be found using these instructions:
1) Open the Start Menu
2) Type "about your PC" and press Enter
3) The new window that opens will have the information listed

The video card information can be found using these steps:
1) Open the Start Menu
2) Type "view the name of the video card" and press Enter
3) In the new window that appears click "Advanced Settings" in the lower right
4) In this new window the formal name of your video card will be listed as the "adapter string"

The Close or Cancel buttons can be used to get rid of all the windows these instructions open.
Paul
Admin

Postby programmercereal11 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:14 pm

The game is not crashing, only the video freezes. I will get the information you need and will post it here. Also, I find that this also happens with games like Minecraft on my computer, and says something about "(Something) froze and then recovered".

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz 1.90

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB

Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Thank you for the help!
programmercereal11
Plort

Postby programmercereal11 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:41 pm

I've also found that it uses almost all of my CPU when I run it. Any advice about optimizing the settings to use less of the CPU?
programmercereal11
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 am

programmercereal11 wrote:I've also found that it uses almost all of my CPU when I run it. Any advice about optimizing the settings to use less of the CPU?

Looks like your CPU is too weak to be able to run the game.
Maybe that's what is causing the problem?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Unfortunately yes, your CPU does come up a little short for what we advise for the System Requirements. It's using all that resource time to keep up with the physics math of multitudes of merry slimes bouncing away.

However, the error your describing sounds much more like the graphics driver is failing and resetting. In general games won't react well to suddenly losing access to the graphics card. Usually re-installing or updating the graphics driver can help reduce this or prevent it entirely.

Please try downloading and installing the most recent graphics driver for your PC from Intel's Download Center.
Paul
Admin

Postby programmercereal11 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:29 pm

I also find that, after running it for a few times, it freezes less.
programmercereal11
Plort

Return to Technical Support