faded render graph?

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

faded render graph?

Postby PrismSlime » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:05 pm

I don't wanna send an error report since i think it's intended, but when certain areas are far away and have that fog to them, i can see a definitive grid. i was wondering if there was something in the options i could change to make it just faded without the grid? it just takes away from the experience a bit to see that when i'm exploring. i'll get a pic when i can if needed. i'm pretty sure i have everything to max for settings since this pc actually has a good graphics card. maybe its too good?

didn't feel like booting up the game just for it, so here's the only random thing i had from my saved images/gifs folder that showed it: Image you can see very clear lines on the ruins to the right.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Re: faded render graph?

Postby Paul » Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi there, if you can get a pic that would be very helpful. Working on how and when distance objects load is being poked still.
Paul
Admin

Postby PrismSlime » Tue May 03, 2016 4:11 pm

you can kinda see it on the side there over the ruins, but i'll try to get a better image next time i play. i don't have much time today before i need to go to bed though and a lot of commissions to sort out on deviantart...
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby PrismSlime » Tue May 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Image found a much better example of it. easier to see if you zoom in.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Paul » Thu May 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks for the extra picture, I see exactly what you're talking about now. Poking at it myself I've noticed two required conditions to make the grid appear.

1) Playing the game at a resolution below 1360x768
2) Having Ambient Occlusion enabled

With those details known I've given the info to our awesome Dev crew to see what they can make of it.
Paul
Admin

Postby PrismSlime » Thu May 05, 2016 6:37 pm

i messed around with it too, and resolution doesn't seem to actually affect it. it's strictly the ambient occlusion that does it. what does "ambient occlusion" actually mean btw? i noticed it affects the shadows, but i'm not entirely sure if it looks better or not. that being said, i should probably just turn it off so i don't get the grid. i just know my new pc has a good graphics card so i maxed and ticked every option i could lol

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Paul » Thu May 05, 2016 7:39 pm

It looks like it's also dependent on the current graphics hardware and driver installed. I see a much more exaggerated version of what you posted when using a Nvidia GTX 970, but not at all on a device using Intel HD 4400 graphics.

As for "what is it" most folks have already described it far better than I can. The short version is it's a way to simulate global lighting on a scene without having to do it "for real" since that kind of power just doesn't exist in the common PC. The folks at stack exchange get much more in depth (watch out for math).
Paul
Admin

Postby PrismSlime » Thu May 05, 2016 9:56 pm

well idk what mine are, so hopefully there's a way to fix it in the future without having to have my graphics lowered.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Return to Technical Support