Physics(?) Slowdown

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Physics(?) Slowdown

Postby HihiDanni » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:20 pm

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, overclocked to 3.3ghz
nVidia GeForce GTX 275
8GB RAM
Arch Linux

I normally get about 20-30 FPS in-game at medium-ish graphics settings. It seems like whenever things get hectic (lots of slimes bouncing around), the framerate goes into the single digits. This also happens on the title screen as more types of slimes fall down. Sometimes it happens just from several loose carrots lying on the ground in my garden, which seems odd to me, unless it's exciting the slimes. Framerate improves again when the slimes settle down and/or I vac up any loose carrots in my garden. Looking straight up at the sky also improves things (I get 60 FPS there), until I lower the view again.

I'm not sure if this is some weird physics performance issue, or what. It could be that the 20-30 FPS I'm getting from the graphics is exacerbating the issue because it has to run more physics tics to catch up.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If it helps, i'm on version 340.96 of the nVidia drivers. And no, I can't get the latest latest ones because my card has been put on legacy support. I guess in theory I could go buy a new graphics card, but it would be good to know if this is something other people are experiencing so I'd know whether a new card would actually help things.
HihiDanni
Plort

Re: Physics(?) Slowdown

Postby Krakob » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Your spces look like they are in order so that sounds a bit tricky. Maybe you could check if you get the same problem in Windows if you use dual boot?
Krakob
Admin

Postby HihiDanni » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Setting the graphics quality to lowest makes things better but doesn't totally get rid of the slowdown.

A random shot in the dark: Maybe it's caused by the slime splash decals? The slowdown does seem to happen as the slimes land on the title screen.

Unity has profiling tools, I think? Is there any way I can profile the game on my end, and then send you a file to analyze what might be causing the bottleneck?

Edit: Yeah, I found a consistent way to reproduce this:

- Vac up a slime, then shoot it at the wall.
- Framerate slows down when the splat appears.
- Once the splat vanishes, the framerate pops back up again.
HihiDanni
Plort

Postby HihiDanni » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Update: After a reboot it seems like the whole game sped up a bit, and now the slime splats don't hurt the framerate nearly as much as they did before! The framerate still feels a bit unstable but it's a good improvement! I was able to turn the shadows up to Medium because of this. I wonder if maybe the driver decided not to accelerate a vertex shader or something?
HihiDanni
Plort

Return to Technical Support