Honey Slime Graphical Error

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Honey Slime Graphical Error

Postby fayzia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Hey all, this isn't a huge deal or anything, but when I play on low graphics mode the brown spots(?) on Honey slime's heads are no longer brown, and are just the colour of the rest of the slime (lovely golden honey) I can still see the shape of them though, and Honey largos will still have their brown spots.

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Processor: AMD A8-6410 APU
Running Windows 10
fayzia
Plort

Re: Honey Slime Graphical Error

Postby Ninjazosia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:09 pm

I had the same problem. If the lag isn't too bad, just bump up slime quality to the next level and if I remember correctly it was fixed.
What's Krakalacken? -Octoslime

Liscensed 7Zee Corp Slimeobiologist
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1595
Ninjazosia
Rancher

Location: Interuniversal Research Station Delta, Location Classified

Postby Hatch » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:15 pm

Your specs should run this on the highest settings? (Maybe not Windows 10... should though)
12 year computer technician who is always glad to help ;)
Hatch
Rancher

Postby fayzia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:50 pm

Hatch wrote:Your specs should run this on the highest settings? (Maybe not Windows 10... should though)

I wish, I get lag on even the lowest settings if there's more than a couple slimes on the screen.
fayzia
Plort

Postby fayzia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Ninjazosia wrote:I had the same problem. If the lag isn't too bad, just bump up slime quality to the next level and if I remember correctly it was fixed.

Yeah, the medium slime quality fixes it, I just don't think this is supposed to happen, ya know?

Or maybe it is, I don't know I guess.
fayzia
Plort

Postby Hatch » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:18 pm

fayzia wrote:I wish, I get lag on even the lowest settings if there's more than a couple slimes on the screen.

Are you using your APU or GPU to process the graphics?
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Heather » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:21 pm

Welcome!
I suggest updating your graphics card drivers.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

If you don't see improvement, try running in safe mode (see the link in my signature).
Heather
Admin

Postby Hatch » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm

It's not a driver, chances are they need to switch to the APU. Also, Windows 10 compatibility for this game is garbage in general. Dedicate one source to display and it should be playable on highest settings. Those specs do not qualify to cause game issues, it's your setting on the computer.
Or if they are using the APU, switch to GPU.
Sounds like the computer is trying to use both... thus conflict/lag/studder.
Hatch
Rancher

Postby fayzia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Hatch wrote:It's not a driver, chances are they need to switch to the APU. Also, Windows 10 compatibility for this game is garbage in general. Dedicate one source to display and it should be playable on highest settings. Those specs do not qualify to cause game issues, it's your setting on the computer.
Or if they are using the APU, switch to GPU.
Sounds like the computer is trying to use both... thus conflict/lag/studder.

Do you know how I would go about doing that? I tried looking it up and I can't find the option to do that in AMD Catalyst
fayzia
Plort

Postby Hatch » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:15 pm

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > CUDA -GPU's > Change to AMD and not Nvidia GPU.

APU's are a bit annoying with this game and I would recommend trying to set the game to run with Nvidia, but I first suggest that you attempt to see how the performance is with the APU first. If it runs better, then it runs better, by the time the alpha/beta phase has progressed a bit these issue should be solved by the dev's.
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 am

Hatch wrote:Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > CUDA -GPU's > Change to AMD and not Nvidia GPU.

I'm not acquainted with AMD hardware, but I don't think fayzia is gonna have much luck with the Nvidia control panel ;)

Either way, a quick google search got me this, which might be helpful for changing the used graphics processor.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Hatch » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:57 am

That would be helpful indeed to use the GPU, but chances are they'll have better luck using the APU in this case. If the APU results are not better, I would recommend Krakob's guide there for sure :D
Either way, your system is essentially confused and most likely using both the APU and GPU to render the game and that will cause the issues you are having.
APU's are weird.
You'll want to use integrated graphics in this case, which is easily managed in Nvidia control panel :D
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:09 pm

I really don't think fayzia will have any luck working his AMD hardware with Nvidia software. Are you positive that will work?
Krakob
Admin

Postby Hatch » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:13 am

If Nvidia/Gforce experience is active (and it should be) then it's default settings will be to have the Nvidia GPU handle the 3D settings. The error is the APU is active, the APU needs to control the graphics for Slime Rancher. Why? I don't know. But it stops the lagging when the GPU is not handling the graphics. Switching the GPU's setting to have the APU handle the graphics insted of nvidia is ideal because if not both will try and it runs like **** on low settings.
For slime rancher: APU should control the graphics.
Why can't the pricey and better GPU run it? I don't know but the devs need to find a fix because we shpuld be able to choose 1 from the game settings.
APU's should not have to control the graphics for this to run right but feel free to look and see how many people are saying the have to play on low with high quality system parts. APU's and i7's users are the majority. The solution is not updating drivers, it's using the APU until the devs fix it or give us the option to choose just one of the multiple hardwares to run the game.
I've seen better builds than mine struggle with this game on low and the common link is APU's and i7's.
IF they(anyone reading free with this problem) can get it to run with the GPU only, so be it, but if not use the APU.
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Hatch » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:38 am

Plumpette wrote:Oh dear.. in case there is any confusion. AMD is a different kind of card than a Nvidia one.

A person with a AMD card would not have Geoforce. They would have a AMD specific control panel.

That's cute and all but the APU and GPU are two different company's and parts entirely. If you ever want a Nvidia working properly on a computer that already has the AMD APU, you still need Geforce Experience to set them up correctly. If you do not, you have to create threads like this one and find actual solutions like the ones that have been posted.
A person with AMD APU (Which is not a Graphics Card...) and a GPU (A graphics card) Will STILL need to use the appropriate programs so your computer knows what does what.
You need them both.
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Hatch » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:58 am

Plumpette wrote:When you spot that the person you are trying to help might not be on the same page as you, giving them the information they need to understand what you mean before you begin explaining things in depth can be very helpful.

I could word it better for you, Just:
Update AMD Catalyst (If necessary)
Update or Download and install GeForce Experience if you don't already have it, because you need it.
On Geforce, you would pick Slime Rancher from the drop down menu in 3D settings and set the graphics to use the AMD as explained above.
Test the game at this point and if it still doesn't work on highest possible settings then figure out how to stop the APU from running Slime Rancher and have only the Nvidia card run it(Not sure how to do this, don't have an APU to test)
If after doing all that and the issue isn't solved then post back so we can go a different way to solve it.

Another user had a similar issue and switching to the APU fixed it:
ImagineBen wrote:Well. This made me mess around with my graphics settings in my NVIDIA 3D graphics options. None of the options I messed with worked until I switched to the integrated graphics, and then POOF. It worked. Instantly.

I doubt you wouldn't even have to change anything in Catalyst control panel as there is no mention of it in his post, just Nvidia 3D graphics Options had to be changed, also Catalyst won't tell your Nvidia graphics card to stop rendering a specific game to fix errors... GeForce Experience will fix that issue.

fayzia wrote:Do you know how I would go about doing that? I tried looking it up and I can't find the option to do that in AMD Catalyst

You don't use AMD Catalyst. You need to stop your graphics card from displaying the game while your AMD hardware is also running it. Use Nvidia Experience to change the Nvidia settings to use the APU for this game.

A person with AMD hardware/software would not necessarily have Geoforce installed by default (and even if they do, they might be unaware since they've never had to think about it before), was what I meant Hatch.

If they have a GeForce GPU as state in the first post then yeah they should have Nvidia Experience installed. If not then issues like this will occur on some games.

Krakob wrote:I really don't think fayzia will have any luck working his AMD hardware with Nvidia software. Are you positive that will work?

Using Nvidia to change the settings of Nvidia to use the AMD hardware for Slime Rancher to be properly read/displayed by the APU/Catalyst is not Nvidia working the AMD hardware, it's simply telling the GPU to back off so the APU can handle the game... which is a necessary step if you just want to run a game with integrated graphics and not the graphics card.

Sorry for the confusion and shortness of answers/fixes. I was limited to mobile access over the last few days ;)
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Heather » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:17 am

fayzia, what you're seeing is just an artifact as a result from the game being set to the lowest graphics settings.
Heather
Admin

Return to Technical Support