Game causing my display driver to crash

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Game causing my display driver to crash

Postby DasGuet » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47 pm

I am using an ASUS ROG750 with a intel 4600 3rd gen display driver and an NVidia GeForce GTX 860M and I know both are totally up to date, but on slime rancher and only slime rancher I get maybe 10-20 minutes, on the lowest graphic setting no less, before my display driver crashes and recovers, which causes the game to freeze and I have to close it and then re open it. the game saves when I close so I don't really lose progress but it is still annoying and since this is the only game that does it I was wondering if you have any potential solutions for me.
DasGuet
Plort

Re: Game causing my display driver to crash

Postby Hatch » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Exact specs and/or Model number please.
Haven't seen a ROG with a 4600, they commonly have 4700's.
Sounds like overheating but I can say more with exact model/specs.
12 year computer technician who is always glad to help ;)
Hatch
Rancher

Postby Heather » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:16 am

Please try running in safe mode and let us know if this resolves the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=619
Heather
Admin

Postby DasGuet » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:41 am

I think the model number is G750JM and I will try safe mode and see if that dos anything
DasGuet
Plort

Postby Krakob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:18 am

Make sure the game is running on your Nvidia GPU and not the integrated GPU. Also make sure your drivers are updated.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Hatch » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Exact specs:
ASUS ROG G750 Series G750JM-DS71
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5
4th Generation Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40 GHz) Quad-core Processor
12 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 5400 RPM
Audio ROG AudioWizard
17.3" Full HD 1920 x 1080
Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Best I can give you about these "ROG" models is: It occasionally will refuse to load a low intensity game.
I know you aren't going to want to hear this but go ahead and look at buying another computer.

It is nothing to do with the game itself and this isn't any kind of error from this game.
Hatch
Rancher

Postby DasGuet » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Well if that is honestly the case then I guess I will put up with the freezing for now until I can get a new computer. It's only the ROG that have this problem? so if I get a tower PC instead of a laptop it should work right?
DasGuet
Plort

Postby Hatch » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 pm

ROG computers can be decent but for the price you can literally build 2 or even 3 computers that will play anything on the market and hold up for the next 3 years after with game setings at max or at least high . That laptop is usually around $1200-$1500.
That laptop has also caused over 2000 reported fires after RMA'ing. It literally catches on fire.

I would suggest looking into building your own desktop for around your budget. $650 can go a long way.
That's just my personal opinion on the matter.

The issue is most likely overheating of your CPU. As well, the cpu itself would have to be changed for the laptop to be used for gaming... Also the hard drive is only 5400 RPM and is mainly designed to be a storage drive. You'll want a 7200 RPM HDD or a solid state drive, even a solid state hybrid drive for faster load times and WAY better performance than it can give now.

The model you have is falsely advertised as a gaming laptop and comes with a large price tag. The parts are often not even name brand which results in a lack of proper driver support and causes issues like.. Well not being able to play low requirement games like slime rancher, not properly allocating the 12 gb of ram, and it can even make the GPU bottleneck or perform like any GPU that was made 8 years ago.

It's a shame honestly. ASUS is a good company but I'm pretty sure they out source all RMA jobs to people who halfass the job and return to sender. (that's where the fires come in)

In conclusion, the title of this post is backwards lol your display driver is causing the game to crash... and in reality it's the CPU's fault.
Hatch
Rancher

Postby DasGuet » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:25 am

well I knew i'd have to build a desktop eventually. in that case I thank you for your support on this issue and i'll have to muscle through the problems until I can afford to build something more suited for what I want. I guess the only thing I would ask now is where should I start looking for the bits and bobs to build a gaming desktop that will actually work and be worth the time and money put into it?
DasGuet
Plort

Postby Krakob » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Here's a superb tool: https://pcpartpicker.com/

Build A PC on Reddit is a cool little community dedicated to helping people with the process, as well.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Hatch » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:18 pm

I use: http://pcpartpicker.com/
to check parts compatibility and fine tune every part needed for the build, very detailed info.
You can also check out other peoples reviews on each item easily.
You can even look at builds others did to see how much you can get for your money.

Here's an example of how it looks, this is a version of my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2jxwdC
Hatch
Rancher

Return to Technical Support