Another "It won't work" thread

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Another "It won't work" thread

Postby JB2k » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:40 pm

I know you guys are probably sick of these threads but I'm stumped. I'm normally fairly good at workarounds for early access games but I cannot get this one to work.

Nvidia 970GTX with latest drivers
Windows 8.1
i5-2500k @ 4.0ghz
8GB RAM

I have updated my DirectX etc to see if its that
I have tried unplugging my 360 controller
Restarted PC numerous times
Run as administrator
Run in various compatibility modes
Verified Steam files
Enabled and disabled G-Sync monitor

Anyone got any ideas? :S
JB2k
Plort

Re: Another "It won't work" thread

Postby Heather » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Welcome to our community, sorry you're having trouble.
Are you absolutely certain your graphics drivers are up to date?
Are you running any mods for Slime Rancher?

Does your system meet the rest of the min specs?
Windows
Processor: 2.2GHz Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 512MB VRAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 1 GB available space

What exactly happens when you launch?
After launching, does it appear as running in your task manager?
Heather
Admin

Postby Hatch » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:18 pm

JB2k wrote:Nvidia 970GTX with latest drivers
Windows 8.1
i5-2500k @ 4.0ghz
8GB RAM
Anyone got any ideas? :S

Your specs exceed this game and then some. You should prolly make sure that you have installed the oalinst, update direct x (I assume you run DX12?) and make sure you have DX 11 installed as well, and then check to make sure vcredist_x86 is installed. Or manually reinstall these 3 requisites.
Only other thing I can say is Windows 8.1 is a bit annoying with games. Windows 7 would be the better bet, preferably Ultimate for the best performance with your specs.
Does your CPU bottleneck with those specs? How many cores is that i5? Most of the problems I've seen on here are with Intel chip sets. Not so many AMD issues.
I run with highest settings, no lag, no issues, and record with:
AMD 6200 6 core CPU @ 3.8GHz
GTX 750 TI SC (Record with ShadowPlay)
8GB RAM @ 1333
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
12 year computer technician who is always glad to help ;)
Hatch
Rancher

Postby JB2k » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 am

I did a reinstall of vcredist and directx. Managed to launch it in safe mode only but when I move off the initial platform I fall through the ground and die?

Thanks for the advice btw
JB2k
Plort

Postby JB2k » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:24 am

Well that lasted long. 2 minutes then crash to desktop and now it wont load up again.

By the way, I'm running DX11. Not had any gaming issues before with Windows 8.1 although I could upgrade to 10 if I need to. CPU doesn't bottleneck. i5 is quad core. I can play the latest games without any issues - usually on high to ultra. I see lots of people with issues on this game so will have to keep trying.
JB2k
Plort

Postby Heather » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Since your Nvidia drivers are up to date, there is something else we can try....
Go into the Nvidia control panel and set the 3D graphics to always use the nvidia card, (not just "all graphics").
After that, restart the computer and try launching Slime Rancher again.

edit:
If that doesn't work... please update your audio drivers, even if you think they're up to date.
Then restart and try to launch again.

Let us know if that resolves this for you.
Heather
Admin

Postby Hatch » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:24 pm

JB2k wrote:Well that lasted long. 2 minutes then crash to desktop and now it wont load up again.

By the way, I'm running DX11. Not had any gaming issues before with Windows 8.1 although I could upgrade to 10 if I need to. CPU doesn't bottleneck. i5 is quad core. I can play the latest games without any issues - usually on high to ultra. I see lots of people with issues on this game so will have to keep trying.

Good it opened. That's what we're aiming for. Even if it crashed, it still opened long enough to produce a good crash file:
Locate C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Slime Rancher\SlimeRancher_Data\output_log.txt
Send that to Monomi and hopefully it will shed some light on why these Intel CPU's are having such issues comprehending the game. You might have the most helpful crash log to end this problem for all users with the same issue.
Other things: Stop running on low. Stop running in Safe mode. If this game doesn't boot up at max settings they need to know why. Load up on MAX everything.
Make sure Direct X9 is installed, updated, and even reinstall it just because you can to eliminate that as a issue.
It's not Nvidia, it's gotta be that Intel CPU...
12 year computer technician who is always glad to help ;)
Hatch
Rancher

Postby JB2k » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks for the replies. I will dig out that crash file and send it in. Will keep plugging away to see if I can identify a fix.
JB2k
Plort

Postby JB2k » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:07 am

Just a quick update. I have emailed the developers with my output log and dxdiag.

I have found that if I run a DirectX installer from any recent games Redist folder then Slime Rancher boots up fine but then crashes again after 30secs up to 4-5 minutes. After the crash, every time I launch the game it crashes either before the menu or just as the menu appears.

If I then run the DirectX installer again it boots up fine but then crashes just like before.

I can duplicate this process over and over and it always results in the same loop of running for 30 secs to a few minutes after each DirectX installer being run.

All my video and audio drivers are up to date I have tried using my USB Corsair Vengeance headphones with its own sound card as well as trying the on-board Realtek sound (disabled each when swapping).

This is the only game I have played in about 15 years I can remember not being able to find a successful work around. I guess Ill have to try harder!
JB2k
Plort

Postby Heather » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm glad you sent your log in, hopefully a solution is found.
Please keep us updated!
Heather
Admin

Return to Technical Support