Save doesn't always load

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

Save doesn't always load

Postby RrrrCccc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:21 am

Hi: I'm late to Slime Rancher having just picked it up a few weeks ago. Lately I've been having intermittent problems where my save won't load and the game locks up and has to be shut down via task manager.

After ruling out what I thought could be a corrupted save file for whatever reasons I can't right now recall I changed the game's resolution to the highest setting and it loaded. Playing in that resolution gives me horrible motion sickness so I switched back to the lowest in-game but for several times playing it would only load while in the high resolution. Then one day I forgot to switch to high-res before loading and it worked fine and continued to do so for a few days. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't load again at all, then a couple of days later would load just fine. As of a few minutes ago it was back to not loading.

About my device and game: installed on my Windows 7 laptop from the files I downloaded from GOG (rather than using their launcher). I have no mods and patched up to 1.4.3 yesterday.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. In re-reading the FAQ it says possibly my computer isn't up to snuff. I'm not real smart but it seems to me that should cause a consistent problem, not whatever's going on here but no doubt it's possible I'm mistaken. I don't know, it's frustrating at best.
RrrrCccc
Plort

Re: Save doesn't always load

Postby Watros » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:54 am

There is a known issues with the load screen hanging in some cases, but the load should still be running behind that if you don't mind just waiting.

How much RAM is available can be a factor in some cases, which is why I suspect you might only see this sometimes. Try closing other applications to free up memory to see if that helps as well.

Let us know if you are still having issues after trying that! Thank you!
Watros
Rancher

Postby RrrrCccc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!

Yeah, I thought about RAM too but I have 16 gigs and generally the only other thing maybe running is a calculator, Zim notebook, and possibly paint.net, and usually a browser. I don't as a general rule play a lot of games on this computer because it's lacking in the graphics department but it has plenty of processor power and RAM.

So, you sparked an idea to try something, this time I set the graphics to windowed mode and it loaded lickety-split. I'm going to keep this in mind for when it happens again because no doubt it will.

Thanks again.
RrrrCccc
Plort

Postby RrrrCccc » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 pm

I thought I'd report back and honestly this is insane. Most of the time I can get it to load just fine if I quit in the Grotto or Overgrowth. I play with video settings on 800x600 in full screen then switch out of full screen before I try to load it and it's worked pretty well. That is until today. Last time I quit I thought 'pfft, no point in going to the other area so ended on the main ranch'. I was mistaken. Today I tried to start the game even on a fresh restart of my computer with nothing else running and it refused on 800x600. I set it to the highest resolution and it loaded. This is one persnickety game, I sure do wish I had a clue why it does what it does.
RrrrCccc
Plort

Postby Watros » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:34 am

It might be best if you can submit a support ticket to us with your DxDiag information; we have a guide for that here:
https://support.slimerancher.com/hc/en- ... Diag-Files

We may be able to spot what is going on there and provide suggestions based on that
Watros
Rancher

Postby RrrrCccc » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Thank you, Watros, for your reply. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back--I declare, the days move by in a whirlwind and my memory is trash. I'll get a trouble ticket submitted and see if there's anything to discover. I'm sorry for being one of "those people"--I was so much more competent when I was young and healthy. Thanks again.
RrrrCccc
Plort

Return to Technical Support